India Sweets and Spices

Grocery market and casual vegetarian Indian fast food restaurant with a deli case of sweets. Most hot food items are already cooked and kept warm in a steamtable; there is also an a la carte menu. Authentic Indian style. Counter service. Inside seating available. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Lacto, Indian, Fast food, Buffet, Take-out

Cinn
  • non-vegetarian

Um...

Posted on 06 / 28 / 2013

I will begin by saying that the India Sweets and Spices staff are friendly and colorful. The prices are amazing, there is plenty of parking, and the restaurant is located inside a small market where you could by the same ingredients to make anything that the cooks use on their menu. The food is amazing but to my surprise, the Indian clerks discredit themselves and say that the Mexican cooks are too thank? The clerks seem too pushy to not be credited. One thing is for sure, the place needs to be frequently cleaned and is in desperate need of a renovation.

I had my order taken and decided to sit down at their table where I faced a flat screen TV, it was a Bollywood movie, I couldn't enjoy it though because I kept freezing. I didn't bother asking why because the Indian staff seemed entertained and I guess this was typical. Once I had received my order I grab a plastic fork from the stack that is available for everyone to get, and it greasy. I tell myself that someone must of accidentally put the fork back in the stack; it turns out that it's just India Sweets and Spices recycling them back to the costumers...not very well done, but I then understood.

I just have to say that I have only been there twice, and I just probably catch them on the lazy days which, to me, are Saturdays. I sincerely wanted to love this place but I wont be returning.

Pros: Friendly staff, Little Market, Good Parking
Cons: Very frugal
edwardmuzika
edwardmuzika

Eat here if you are broke, otherwise not

Posted on 04 / 04 / 2012

I discovered this place 4 years ago as it is a half mile from my home. Ate here mayb e 10 times. Food is very inconsistent, but mostly in a bad, tasteless way, but lots of food for a low price. Finally stopped going a year ago after a particularly tasteless meal.

Pros: Lots of food, Low Price
Cons: Food not very good
Chia
Chia

Iron stomach

Posted on 01 / 21 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow, and had stopped in once. Here's my Northridge India Sweets and Spices review.

It's very authentic Indian causal style restaurant, run by Indian people. Very cheap prices. Come only if you have an iron stomach.

To get to the food area, you have to walk through the store. Once you're there, you will find a large steamtable with all kinds of pre-cooked dishes as well as fried snacks like samosas and pakora, etc. There's plenty of seating as well.

The women behind the counter who took my order did not speak English, so I couldn't really know what contains dairy and what doesn't. So I opted for the obvious samosa and pakora as well as a couple pieces of pappadum crackers. Well, I'm sorry to say that I didn't like the food at all.

The samosa tasted odd and overly spicy. The pakoras were salty and too oily (the kitchen re-fried it before giving it to me). And I kept feeling as if I was eating sand with every other bite of the pappadum. I couldn't finish my food.

This may be a place for you if you are adventurous with an iron stomach, but I've had much better tasting Indian food at other places.

VeggieHeather
VeggieHeather

Bad service, not so great food

Posted on 02 / 05 / 2011

I came here for lunch in January 2011 with a vegan friend and a vegetarian friend. There were three men working behind the counter. None spoke very good English. I asked the first, "Which items do not have dairy?" He said there were four, and then pointed to five items. He then quickly moved on to the next customer, so I had to ask the next gentleman what was vegan. He then pointed to some of the same items, and then one item which he said -- "This is no milk, it has cheese and vegetables". And then he too moved on to the next customer!

Finally, I was able to get one staff member to point out exactly which items were dairy-free, but I felt like I was pulling teeth just to get that information!

The food was cheap, but wasn't very good. Four dollars and change for a big styrofoam plate full of nondescript, not very appetizing looking food.

I work a mile away, but I don't think I'll be coming back any time soon.

Pros: Cheap food
Cons: Staff doesn't speak English, Bad service, Difficult to find out what is vegan

Dear Owner and Manager of India Sweets and Spices: