India Sweets and Spices

Vegetarian Indian grocery market and casual veggie Indian fast food restaurant. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by samneko
vegebald
vegebald

Vegetarian's Heaven

4 Posted on 12 / 23 / 2012

Thumbs up for India Sweets and Spices on Los Feliz (there are several different locations, apparently owned or managed differently). I'm a strict vegan and they are able to accomodate my diet. They have substantial dairy but otherwise they are 100% vegetarian. They are a counter-service eatery...no table service...you order at the counter after you study the various food options of the day that are pre-made through a display case window. ASK if they have dairy in their foods...some do, some don't and make sure you identify Ghee (clarified butter) in your objection. When I order their Masala Dosa (my favorite dish there), I specifically ask that they use oil and not ghee. The owner is such an incredibly friendly fellow, that he is part of the joy of eating there. He is always happy and greets me every visit. The atmosphere is a bit barren and cold, but I love the Bollywood videos that they have playing on a tv there. There is a large indian foods market attached...this is where I buy my Vicco toothpaste (the only toothpaste that I've found that doesn't contain glycerin, which blocks the beneficial recalcification of tooth enamel from our saliva), my indian spices, and all types of unique rices and amazing food ingredients that I still don't know how to cook with.

Pros: delicious, super friendly owner, Reasonable Prices
Cons: counter-service, barren atmosphere, have dairy
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

Quick tasty meal

4 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2010

We stopped in last Saturday for a late lunch and the place was still hopping. The place is cafeteria style with basic tables and plastic utensils, but it hit the spot for a quick lunch. We ordered lunch plates and they pointed out the items with dairy to avoid which was only the kofta this time. We got one plate with dal and squash and another one with cauliflower and choley. They both came with a samosa, rice, chapati and soda. We ordered an extra fried stuffed pepper as well. It was all good and tasty. The staff were really friendly. We wanted to check out the store too, but will have to do that the next time we come back.

Pros: quick, lots of vegan items, nice staff
Cons: plain basic setting
Vedas
Vedas

Fast Food Indian

3 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2009

First time here in my visit to LA. Cafeteria style dining. If you are in a hurry for a somewhat big meal or want a quick bite of Indian food this place can do. Buy your combo plate and then pick from a few options. The dip it up and hand you the plate. The potato curry was nice, I also had the sambar which was good too but they didn't give me any idli. I thought they went together :). The rice as a little cold maybe that is Indian style not sure. The veggie samosa was nice. the masala dosa was huge! Don't expect much from dining area, fast food style with an open area with a group of tables. The Indian videos playing help set the mood.

Pros: Fast service, India videos playing, Indian store attached/eat then go shop
Cons: Tight parking lot, Ambiance
ivy
ivy

Terrible food..

2 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2008

If you've had great Indian food don't bother with this place.. Food has no taste and is not fresh.

Cons: Tasteless, horrible service

Mir
Mir

real indian food

4 Posted on 06 / 08 / 2008

The place reminds me of India - the food is spicy and there is always music on (oh well, not live music). It is not a vegan restaurant but they seem to understand the idea and always have vegan options. Of course, there is a possibility of cross-contamination, but the food is good, the service is fast.

Pros: good food, cheap, fast
Cons: for some people food can be too spicy, they use styrofoam
samneko
samneko

Great bargin!

4 Posted on 03 / 04 / 2007

The food here is straight forward South Indian cuisine and is incredible. Inexpensive combo specials are available daily. I think its the only restaurant in the area where you can choose from several different dosas. Ignore the styrofoam plates, plastic utensils, and sometimes lacking service,and enjoy the taste of the food.

Pros: Delicious food, South Indian cuisine, cheap
Cons: mediocre service, plastic and styrofoam, lack of ambiance

Dear Owner and Manager of India Sweets and Spices: