India Sweets and Spices

Grocer store and casual vegetarian Indian restaurant with a couple tables outside for sitting. Most dishes spicy. Note: Kitchen may be used for non-veg catering. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by heatherveganmom
devini
devini

Kitchen shared with non-vegetarian cooking

2 Posted on 04 / 16 / 2012

The food is ok....hit or miss.

For you vegetarians and vegans out there - be warned that India Sweets and Spices cooks non-vegetarian food for catering in the same kitchen - sharing counter space, pots, pans, knives, etc with vegetarian food served at the restaurant. I know this for a fact.

This is like advertising "kosher", without actually keeping kosher.
India S&S - this is false advertising. At least be upfront with your customers, so they can make an informed choice. I know many people who eat there because they think India S&S is strictly vegetarian. NOT SO!

Pros: Reasonable prices
Cons: Kitchen not vegetarian, Customer Service not great
procrastinasian
procrastinasian

Great samosas!

3 Posted on 12 / 03 / 2008

I used to regularly walk a mile and a half to India Sweets and Spices just to buy a couple of samosas and eat them on the way home. They're delicious! I've been told that the samosas are vegan. It's also a great place to buy various ingredients, spices, prepared sauces, etc. I occasionally get some of their other dishes, but often find them heavy or overly spiced. It is definitely a good value, though. I noticed that they spray painted over "and Spices" a few months ago - maybe it is just India Sweets now? In any case, the place tends to be a bit dirty and hole-in-the-wallish, but they're in the middle of renovating it right now, so I have hopes that it will become a little nicer. The staff can be extremely rude, as noted in other reviews. I find it kind of funny and charming, though, and I honestly think it gives the place character. As far as I know, none of the desserts are vegan.

Pros: Samosas are delicious, Good little store, Good value
Cons: Rude , Not the cleanest place
maliciouskami
maliciouskami

A Hidden Treasure

5 Posted on 01 / 09 / 2008

We were in the area to see the Jurassic Technology museum and stopped in for some Indian grocery after eating at the Hare Krishna temple a few buildings down. Sweets and Spices made all authentic fast-foods in the kitchen and at very affordable prices. I noticed a lot of reviews complained about bad service. I had my Indian boyfriend with me, so that may have helped. He did complain that they had an older lady working the register that didn't speak English well. Try to get one of the younger clerks to help out as we did. She even went so far as to give me their personal coconut chutney recipe as they had none pre-packaged that I could take on my flight. We got a lot of goodies that we had trouble finding in NYC, let alone in the college town we're from.

At least two of the ladoo (sweets) were vegan--verify with the staff (check for ghee, butter, milk, buttermilk, yogurt). We also got panipuri, as that's impossible to find anywhere in America it seems. Somehow, though, we only got 6, when their menu was selling them at 50ct to 100ct. The corriander chutney was way too spicy for me, but everything else was just fine.

Be sure to check the menu posted high up on the wall instead of just what's displayed in the counter--they offer much more than samosas and vada.

The shop itself sells a lot of unique Indian grocery that I've never come across before (and I've hit up a lot of them). I was really excited about this place, and I'll certainly come again! If you stop by, be sure to check out the Hare Krishna temple for luch, the museum, or their extensive Indian supply shop. There is also an Indian video rental and clothing store next door.

Pros: Authentic, Offers hard-to-find items, Great location
Cons: Crowded, Some of the staff not so friendly, Not healthy

rawvegvegan
rawvegvegan

Food's good but the service sucks

3 Posted on 12 / 14 / 2007

I have been here a few times and I always get rice and the yogurt curry. I really like it but I am turned off by the way they treat you in there. I don't care how good the food is, I am not giving my money over to people who run a business like that.

Pros: easy to get to, good food, vegetarian
Cons: bad customer service, too small and crowded
heatherveganmom
heatherveganmom

average if you are desperate

3 Posted on 05 / 25 / 2007

the food is OK if there is nothing else. it is a bit dirty in there and service not very friendly. i do not trust what they say has no dairy in it. i have found they were wrong before.

Pros: vegetarian
Cons: average food, not nice in there to sit, dirty

Dear Owner and Manager of India Sweets and Spices: