India Sweets and Spices

Grocery store and Indian vegetarian restaurant. Interior is clearly divided, with the grocery section being well-stocked with a wide assortment food items, all vegetarian. The restaurant section is counter service only, with a la carte as well as many dishes already prepared and kept warm in glass case display. Features spicy South Indian food, snacks, and sweets. Parking in lot next to restaurant or on street. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Take-out

Chia
Chia

Could be better

Posted on 01 / 21 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow, and had eaten here 3 times over the years. Here's my Canoga Park India Sweets and Spices review.

This Indian fast food restaurant has been at this location for so many years, for as long as I can remember passing through this area.

I remember liking the food one time. Got a masala dosa with sambar, cool coconut water from the whole coconut, some savory snack mixes--so much that I couldn't wait to return again.

But then when I returned on another occasion, I felt sorely disappointed. I had stopped in to get some stuff for takeaway, and opted for the combo meal which was white basmati rice plus 2 choice of dishes from the steamtable plus a piece of chapati bread (super cheap prices). The man behind the counter told me which were the non-dairy options (there were 3 out of the 8 or so choice on display). Of the two I choose, one was a mix of potatoes + eggplant + veggies and the other a cabbage + potatoes.

I also asked for 2 samosas to go and ate one immediately when I got to my car. I was not impressed. The samosas tasted very average, not worth describing further.

Later that evening I had heated up the combo meal for dinner. As much as I had wanted to enjoy it, I couldn't. Everything just tasted spicy and too salty. The saltiness made the food irritating to eat, and I just ended up discarding the entire meal.

I hate to give bad reviews to pure veg restaurants, but I'm not sure if I'd want to return again.

On a positive note, the place usually seemed busy with local Indian customers, so their business is doing just fine. I guess I might return to give it another try when in the area.

Pros: very cheap, fast service
Cons: too salty, spicy but dull flavors
werallanimals
werallanimals

consistently good!

Posted on 06 / 01 / 2008

Everything is good that I have tried; my husband is from India, and he will find ANY excuse to go to this place. The one question I have is this--when are they going to stop using styrofoam??

Pros: CONSISTENTLY great food, prepared quickly

Dear Owner and Manager of India Sweets and Spices: