Orange color food truck with some seating. Serves vegetarian Indian food including basmati rice dishes, snack/chaat food, vegetable dishes, tandoori breads, drinks. Chai with soymilk (when available) for extra 50 cents. Daily special plate costs around $5. Some vegetarian items can be made vegan upon request. Vegans to specify. Note: this truck is stationed right next to the Bombay Chaat House, which is also a Indian vegetarian food cart that is operated by a former partner to the previous owner of this cart. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Fast food, Take-out
804 SW 12th Ave (SW Yamhill St, Downtown)
Portland, Oregon 97205

cassidyhelikson
cassidyhelikson

Ridiculously Tasty

4 Posted on 12 / 23 / 2013

Note: Bombay Chaat House and India Chaat House merged again. The food is soooo delicious and though it does take a while, the staff is very friendly and authentic and the food is always steaming and flavorful.

I've gotten a couple of things there, and it was all wonderful, but the last time I went, I was still vegetarian, not vegan. I'm sure that they have some vegan options or could make some adjustments to accommodate a vegan customer, but the staff doesn't speak English very well, so it might be difficult to ask. I'm sure they get that kind of question a lot though, and would be totally willing to help. They're really great.

It's kind of out of the way, not with the rest of the food carts at all, but definitely worth the walk and definitely worth the wait.

Pros: huge, steamy meals, amazing staff, very authentic
Cons: hard to find, not much seating, long wait
Chia
Chia

Food Cart

3 Posted on 01 / 21 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow, and came here on a past trip to Portland, Oregon. Here's my India Chaat House review.

This is a food cart, not a restaurant. On my visit, the man in the truck was friendly towards me, but he made me wait for my tandoori garlic naan for a long time. The garlic naan was alright at first but got dry after it cooled and sat for a while.

Most other people opted for the cheap lunch combo special that looked okay, but not everything included was vegan.

I had also asked for a chai tea with soymilk but they did not have soymilk in stock at the time. Bummer.

• lnmagnee lnmagnee

You can ask for a "vegan lunch special."

hotskoz
hotskoz

Not the same

2 Posted on 10 / 11 / 2009

This was once absolutely, hands down, the best place for Indian food in Portland. However, it is now under new ownership and it's only so-so. Ate their once under the new ownership and would not go out of my way to go back. Very disappointed.

Cons: small portions, bland

915phil
915phil

Perfect

5 Posted on 04 / 04 / 2008

Cheap. Quick. Authentic. And if it wasn't a cart, they'd probably have good service, too.

Pros: Cheap, Quick, Authentic
Cons: Extremely sparse seating
mute-Ade
mute-Ade

No House, Just a Truck

4 Posted on 03 / 16 / 2008

I give these guys 3 Happy Cows; my curry-obsessed husband gives them 5. The good: cheap, huge portions, authentic, extensive menu. The bad: crowded, dirty, a little bland. If you're crazy for Indian food, go. Otherwise, maybe not.

Pros: Great value
Cons: Dirty, crowded
  • kindlizard kindlizard

dirty how? please elaborate, thanks

sbm02002
sbm02002

i LOVE chaat house!

5 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2008

this food is incredibly cheap and delicious. the naan is pillowy and hot, just gorgeous, and vegan! i disagree with the reviewer who said there are not many vegan options - only a few menu items have cheese or cream and the owner has always been happy to replace any non-vegan items in the lunch special for me.

lunch special is only $5 for a huge amount of rice, veggies/lentils and naan, a really fantastic deal. i love the samosas and the aloo saag. the family who runs this cart is so generous and friendly and i am really grateful for their business!

Pros: lunch special, cheap, lots of vegan variety
Cons: small operation=occasional wait for food, no indoor seating (cold in winter!)
junkfoodvegan
junkfoodvegan

Try the vegan coconut mango drink!

4 Posted on 10 / 13 / 2007

The vegan coconut mango drink is delicious. It is hard to have just one. The food is good but not great and there are not that many vegan options. Sometimes the lunch special is vegan and that is very good value for $5.00. I go just for the vegan coconut mango drink and some samosas.

Pros: Some vegan options, Vegan coconut mango drink
Cons: Not vegan, Not enough vegan options
prezeliz
prezeliz

Perhaps the best Indian Food in Portland?

5 Posted on 10 / 30 / 2006

We've tried other Indian restaurants, but the one time I came here I think I had the best I've had in Portland. A $5 lunch had lots of variety, and was too much food to eat for lunch! An amazing deal.

Pros: great food, great variety, great value
Cons: it's just a truck, not very much seating

Dear Owner and Manager of India Chaat House: