CLOSED: ImproV Cafe and Resto

All vegan rock cafe, beer garden, and nightclub serving appetizers, salads, sandwiches, main entrees, smoothies, desserts, and daily specials. Located inside Volume 10 complex at corner of Iakhou & Evmolpidon at Gazi, 50 meters from Keramikos metro stop (exit Technopolis). SEPT 2013 SHUT DOWN AND LOCATING FOR NEW LOCATION - please update happycow when/if it re-opens. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Greek, American
8 Iakhou Street (Evmolpidon)
Athens, Greece 11854

Open Mon-Sat 6pm-2am.

• Cash only

First Review by spicysplitpea
Dimitris
Dimitris

5 Posted on 09 / 25 / 2013

Dear friends,
for the moment (unfortunately) it is closed.
I 've been told that it will open again in a different location...

Soybean
Soybean

Simply fantastic.

5 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2013

One of the best vegan restaurants I've ever visited.

Nothing on the menu is below great, the cheesecake is world-class, the service is awesome and the atmosphere is tops. The prices are very reasonable for the quality. There is also a boutique bar on premises for those who like quality drinks.

I can't really choose what was the best - perhaps the grilled vegetables. Can't quite understand how a grilled vegetable dish can be that good, but it was.

All the entrees are excellent. All the mains are excellent. The smoothies are excellent. The desserts are excellent.

So, really, I think it's amazing.

Pros: Amazing food., Great service., Great atmosphere.
laurasremedies
laurasremedies

• raw

Improv Cafe & Resto

4 Posted on 05 / 24 / 2013

My daughter and I ate twice at the Improv Cafe & Resto when we were visiting Athens, Greece; what luck it was within walking distance of our hotel, the only vegan restaurant in Athens! (So we were told.) It was a little difficult to find, and locals had apparently not heard of it, but it was a perfect little place to eat a wonderful vegan dinner after long days of exploring Athens. We sat outside; the service both times was exceptional. Their smoothies are incredibly wonderful. They offer several entrees that all looked inviting, but we found that they used too many peppers for our liking, and far too much oil. Prices are moderate; you can have a smoothie and entree for around 10 Euros; desserts are generally 5 Euros more. Even with all the peppers and excess oil, I can heartily recommend the Improv Cafe & Resto. I will definitely eat there again!

Pros: excellent smoothies, only vegan restaurant in Athens, Greece, delicious meals at reasonable prices
Cons: too much oil, some items on menu not available
dkinjer
dkinjer

Great food, cool atmosphere

5 Posted on 02 / 05 / 2013

We were one gray-haired couple and one young couple. We all enjoyed the great vegan food, and the young couple was thrilled with the "cool atmosphere" (and the gray-haired couple were OK with it). Like a vegan pub.
I didn't expect such terrific vegan food in Athens. We each ordered something different (souvlaki, tex-mex burrito, add-it-on, which seemed like an English breakfast, and ratatouille, and everyone was pleased, and the portions were very satisfying. I did want to order a Greek salad, and was disappointed that they were out of almond feta "cheese", but the rocket and spinach salad, which two of us shared instead, was good. We also all shared a portion of the cheesecake. Considering the rave reviews, it was not as good as anticipated, but it was good. The cherry topping tasted like a commercial topping, and was too sweet (and to my taste, so was the cheesecake itself).
Highly recommended, and would come back again.

Pros: great food, all vegan
Cons: lunch hours would be nice
vegantr
vegantr

Great vegan food,great vegan drinks,great music...

5 Posted on 10 / 31 / 2012

ImproV is in one of the most lively part of Athens;Gazi.It's "one & the only" vegan restaurant in the city.During my 3 days stay,every evening I had to chance to enjoy wonderful vegan food at ImproV cafe.They serve not only delicous vegan food but also a very large selection of vegan beers & wines.The portions are really good enough to satisfy your hunger as well as the prices are extremely fair. And they play very good music!This is simply the place to be...Don't miss their wonderful Vegan Sunday Brunch!
Updated from previous review on Monday June 25, 2012
Updated from previous review on Wednesday October 31, 2012

veggie wedgie
veggie wedgie

just try the cheesecake

4 Posted on 10 / 13 / 2012

A great place, the only and first fully vegan restaurant in Greece! lovely stuff, delicious food, large portions, great music :)

Pros: nice vibe, delicious , spacious
nandiav
nandiav

Best Vegan Experience Ever

5 Posted on 08 / 08 / 2012

I always read reviews on HappyCow but I never actually felt satisfied enough from a place to register and leave a review about my experience until I visited this place! I met chef Dimitra and owner Sean at ImproV. They are such sweet people. What a wonderful place they have! We got a really good vibe the moment we walked in. Their place was super clean and bright and music was awesome. Sean brought us a bottle of frosted water, much appreciated as it was a darn hot day. I ordered the rocket salad, extremely fresh with mixed vegetables, spinach, rocket of course, sweet strawberries and cashews and an amazing balsamic dressing. It was absolutely fantastic. For main dish I ordered the falafel wrap - probably the best falafel in the world and for desert I had their amazing uncheesecake. Seriously, don't leave this place without trying this dessert. My husband had the Greek salad. They actually make handmade cheese from almonds that tastes like feta! This almond feta is the best vegan cheese we ever tasted. For main he had the tofu scramble. And it was HUGE! The most beautiful cooked tofu dish EVER. For dessert he had the chocolate pudding as he is chocoholic. I didn't taste it but he raved about it a lot. We will go back for more the next time we are in Athens. Prices are also very good and they have a huge selection of beers. There is also a very nice little bar on the same floor for whoever wants just to enjoy a drink or smoothie. The restaurant has a casual but rock atmosphere and it is a great place to just hang out and enjoy good food. Highly recommended!

Pros: good range of food, location and prices!, friendly staff
angeliki
angeliki

Θα το κάνω στέκι!

4 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2012

Amazing food!!! I just wished my falafel had more hummus. Nice environment and really good prices.
Keep up the good work!

Pros: excellent food, good value
OneNightStanzas
OneNightStanzas

World-class vegan food! & the uncheesecake!!!

5 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2012

My partner and I ate here a few nights ago and were absolutely blown away by Improv!

We arrived and were served immediately by lovely, friendly, chatty waiting staff. We were brought a big frosted bottle of water which was constantly topped up, to drink with our beers. We also got a free appetizer of toasted pitta and red pepper dip of some kind, which was delicious. What a welcome!

We then ordered a starter to share, the meatless meat balls. These were SO GOOD, the portion was small for two from first glance, but actually they were very filling and I don't think I could have managed a whole plate to myself. Served with a delicious minty/coriandery kind of dip. Yum! They arrived very quickly too!

Next, mains -- my partner had the 'add it up,' which is a tofu/veggie/tomato concoction with salad bits and fries. He was VERY HAPPY. The tofu was beautifully cooked, we're going to try and replicate this ourselves at home! I had the Rooster which consisted of bean patties with mash and gravy. All of it was super amazing -- the gravy was totally delicious and the mash (so easy to get wrong!) was fluffy and creamy and so good! The portions were generous and we struggled to make it to dessert.

BUT do not leave this place without trying the uncheesecake. Seriously, it is the experience of a lifetime. It is the best dessert I have EVER eaten, even before I became vegan! The hype is all true! Try it! Heavenly!

The whole experience was amazing and a total bargain. We paid 39 euros for two of us to have three courses and drinks. We were chuffed! The service was brilliant, too -- the waitress was very friendly and accommodating, and the barman (who I think is also the owner?) came for a chat and was also really cool. We greatly enjoyed the soundtrack too, although it was really blasting so if you're not into loud music then bear this in mind (we liked it!). I was wearing a Metallica t shirt so they played some Metallica for me! Awesome! The atmosphere was generally great. Nice decor, very very fancy bathrooms. We loved it! I would give it 20 cows out of 5 if I could! Thank you ImproV, we love you!!!

Pros: Awesome service, UNCHEESECAKE UNCHEESECAKE UNCHEESECAKE, All the food was blissfully good
Cons: There are no cons! Go there now!
katlove
katlove

Love it!

5 Posted on 07 / 18 / 2012

I have eaten at Improv every weekend since it opened in the beginning of June. I guess one might say I'm a fan!

- The veggie burger is among the best I've had in the world (I'm a veggie burger connoisseur who has lived in NYC, San Francisco, and eaten vegan all over Europe).

- The location is super central and in a hip and interesting neighborhood.

-The service is friendly.

-All of the desserts are delicious and the peanut and banana milkshake is amazing.

The falafel is good too. And the ratatouille. And the hummus. And the feta! Such, good, feta! And and and... I think if you're in Athens, a trip to Improv is a must! I wish I was eating there right now.

Pros: Yummy, Great Prices, Perfect portions
margaritav
margaritav

I can't say enough

5 Posted on 07 / 17 / 2012

My husband, sister and I went to ImproV for dinner. All the food is fabulous! The potato soup is divine and we all loved the rocket queen and the greek salad. Their almond feta is AMAZING and the uncheesecake is to die for. My sister is gluten free and the chef made her a gluten free veggie burger with rice bread. I look forward to going back. The waitress was very helpful and everyone wanted to please us. I love that this place has nothing to do with other veggie places as it has this rock attitude, huge variety of vegan beers and they play really good music. I highly recommend this restaurant to everyone on the planet!

earthville
earthville

Great Greek & American comfort food

4 Posted on 06 / 30 / 2012

ImproV is a very welcome addition to the food scene in Athens. Its menu is diverse enough to offer something for just about everyone. We especially liked the Rocket Salad with strawberries, and omnivores should be pleased with the seitan gyro. But ImproV's crowning achievement is its fantastic cashew-based "uncheesecake," which is worth the trip all by itself. The smoothies are tasty, too (though ours were mostly ice cubes, so ordering them without ice may be the way to go). There are a few tables out on the sidewalk for those who prefer some quiet. The owners are a friendly Greek-US couple who aim to please. The fine print on the menu mentions that dairy milk and feta are available for those who prefer them, so it isn't purely vegan, but everything on the menu is plant-based unless you request dairy products specifically, so there's no need for vegans to worry. Highly recommended.

Pros: Almost completely vegan, Super "uncheesecake", Friendly owners
RobinZaragoza
RobinZaragoza

Average vegan food, but good enough for Athens

3 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2012

My husband and I ate here last night...its about a 20 minute walk from Plaka. Boy is this place in a weird location....they clearly went through a lot of effort in the build out of the place, but everything around it is run down. I guess that's modern day greece? That said, I was happy to find a place with a plethora of things for me to choose from, rather than eating fava and greek salad yet again.

Having been to some truly outstanding (michelin quality) vegetarian and vegan restaurants in other major cities, this place leaves something to be desired. The food is average, kind of like a friend cooking you dinner. Not bad, but not spectacular. We had the spinach/cashew/strawberry salad to start. The strawberries were extremely ripe, which is what made the salad very good. For my main I had some kind of mushroom and orzo dish - heavy on the pasta and sauce, and light on anything else. Was a bit heavy for my tastes, but decent flavor. My husband had the "Add it up", which included tofu sauteed with some vegetables, some kind of bean concoction, french fries, and a soy hot-dog. This was pretty much the only time we saw soy on a menu, so we were happy for that! But the meal was again a bit heavy and not very healthy.

Outside of the food, the service was terrific, the place was immaculate with a funky/cool design, the beer menu was extensive, and had great music playing behind us.

Were I in Athens again, I'd likely go back, but I would hope the food would be lighter, healthier, and a bit tastier. Good for the owners starting this place in a city that just doesn't understand "vegan" let along "vegetarian". Good luck!

Pros: Beer selection, Soy is on the menu!, Great ambiance & music
Cons: Not particularly healthy, Odd location
  • cielle cielle

Hello, i just have to bring your attention to something you say... You say: "in a city that just doesn't understand "vegan" let along "vegetarian""...
    I must point out that this is just not the case, Greece as a country doesn't understand vegan or vegetarian in the way perhaps you are used to - it doesn't make a point of it and have lots of restaurants etc - but actually traditional Greek food is ALL basically Vegan and Vegetarian... Souvlaki, gyros, meat dishes are a relatively new thing and even though they are often seen and unfortunately featured on menus nowadays( especially ones aimed at tourists ) they were not eaten traditionally in Greece... Greece has a deep and long history of vegan and vegetarian foods, they only ever ate meat when they did on rare occasions ( they were "too poor" to eat it often... ) and so they have a HUGE variety of legume based ( chickpeas, lentils, fava beans, broad beans, black eyed beans and many more... ) and vegan foods ( stuffed peppers/tomatoes, peas as a main dish, ratatouie like dish called "briam", potato salads, green beans with potatoes, boiled plain vegetables and wild greens in every taverna, rice with spinach, rice with cabbage, spinach pie ( both vegan and non-vegan ( with cheese ) versions... and MANY MANY more - too many to mention and remember here in fact... )and so there was never any need ( perhaps until now when people are unfortunately following the lead of "rich" countries like USA and eating more meat and dairy than ever before and suffering the health consequences... ) to have "separate" "labelled" Vegan or Vegetarian restaurants... and as a Vegan in Athens i have never had any problems at all eating out with friends and family and actually not having to go to separate restaurants to do so... I am sorry if you didn't know and weren't able to make use of this information on your visit here but I hope that you find it useful for the future!

• ImproV ImproV

Hello and thanks for visiting our restaurant. Just to clarify that most Greek people do not hang around Plaka and Syntagma and actually avoid it. Gazi, where our restaurant is located, is the busiest area of Athens and the heart of the Athenian nightlife where thousands of people visit daily hundreds of restaurants, theaters, clubs, bars, cafes etc. Our place is located next to Technopolis (which is the old Gazi factory that nowdays hosts concerts and events pretty much every night) just few meters from the Kerameikos metro stop (one stop from Plaka and 1 minute walk to our place from metro) and 10 minutes walk from Monastiraki/Thisseio without metro. I guess that the run down buildings is the modern Greece as you might know many places went out of business during the past couple of years and unfortunately those places now look abandoned. (TBC)

• ImproV ImproV

Our menu includes Greek traditional recipes along with some American favorites (e.g burgers, hot dogs etc) and at this area where junk food dominates, we give people the option to also eat healthy vegan food that lacks nothing in taste than e.g. the hot dogs that are sold across the street. You had a traditional Greek dish, made from a Greek Chef and in a version much lighter than the original one that is heavy on oil and sauce with cooked beef in it (also to mention our recipe has been published in books). You tasted authentic olive oil from olives we grow ourselves on Lesvos Island. And sauces we jar from our BIO gardens in North Greece with our Greek mother. You seen some of the real Greece from your visit to Gazi, but we will point out to our vacationers in the future where the heart of our ingredients come from and to understand the area better! This is not a mainstream tourist area. :)
    Regarding the other dish that you had, the only "unhealthy" part is the fries which we could have substituted if you had asked us with baked potato or salad. Believing that this review is a bit unfair, we wish to see you visiting our place again in the future so you can taste more of our dishes and maybe change your opinion on our food.

kathreenV
kathreenV

Exciting place

5 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2012

I was surprised to see a vegan restaurant in Athens! I visited the first day I heard about this place. Really interesting and exciting place. Interesting and alternative menu, with many choices of only vegan food! Best falafel wrap I've ever had in Greece. The hummus portion was so big that I felt sorry for not being able to finish it up. The cheesecake is simply amazing. The cupcakes are so moist and the chocolate pudding the richest dessert I've ever tasted. Yes, I went crazy with the desserts as they are very hard to find in any place around here. Cannot wait to go back to this place!

Pros: Huge portions, friendly staff, Low prices
Cons: Signage. Wasn't easy to locate the place
Rano
Rano

Best vegan restaurant in Athens

5 Posted on 06 / 14 / 2012

The best vegan restaurant i've ever eaten!The portions were huge and very tasty!Very friendly and helpful staff with nice decoration and beautiful toilets perfectly clean.Also the prices are very low.I loved it!

Pros: excellent food, friendly enviroment and staff, huge portions
Chloe777
Chloe777

Yummy yummy yummy!

5 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2012

Really awesome delicious food! Nice big servings, affordable prices and great service with a smille! Good music too ;)
Definately my favourite place to eat by far!

Pros: great food , excellent service, lots of choices
Demogenes
Demogenes

• non-vegetarian

vegan food and lots of beers :) (and good music)

5 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2012

I went to this place to try out their food and beer menu.
For the food I had the wholemeal spaghetti incident with mushroom and garlic sauce, which was very delicious. The staff and environment was friendly and welcoming.
They have a very extensive beer menu, which can be recommended, and all in all the prices are very good too.
Definitely a place worth coming back to.

Pros: Great food, great beers, great prices
Cons: *, *, *
RosieV
RosieV

Loved it!

5 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2012

I've only eaten at Improv once, as I don't live in Athens, but OMG this place is absolutely incredible! I had the southwestern meatless balls with the super tasty parsley dip and the falafel. My partner had the hot dog which was the best veggie dog I've ever tasted. For desert we shared cashews cheesecake... drool!!! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! I dream of heading back to Athens one day to eat here again. And at last but not at least I have a big love for beers and I found a long list of czech beers on the bar's menu

Pros: location, prices , beers
snowqueen
snowqueen

Great food, great prices!!!

5 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2012

A very warm restaurant with extremely tasty food and great prices. the stuff and owners were very friendly and also they have a huge selection of beers. had a great time. i'm going back for sure!!!!!!

Pros: excellent food, extremely clean, friendly staff
spicysplitpea
spicysplitpea

The best veggie burger in Athens!

5 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2012

This place does have the best veggie burger in town! Must try the pinto bean burger and the mushrooms giouvetsi. Really good smoothies too! The best lemonade (frozen with strawberries) I had in years. And the cheesecake! OMG the cheesecake! You won't believe it's vegan!

Pros: variety of comfy food, prices, vegan beers and wine
Cons: nothing! everything was so good!

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: ImproV Cafe and Resto: