Imagine Vegan Cafe

Memphis' first all vegan restaurant, opened May 2011. Offers classic American food using faux meats like chicken drumstick, savory grilled fish steak, grilled chicken, and turkey sandwich. Brunch on Sunday. Previously at 2156 Young Ave. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, American, Pizza, Beer
2299 Young Ave
Memphis, Tennessee 38104
901-654-3455

Open Wed, Sun 5-9pm, Thur-Sat 11am-9pm.

First Review by ohmylatte
Jenmcsmith07
Jenmcsmith07

Delicious!!!

5 Posted on 04 / 06 / 2014

Food was amazing!! Cute little restaurant in a house. Family owned. Very friendly. All Vegan!! Great prices. Definitely recommend this place.

rmark25
rmark25

Memphis BBQ

5 Posted on 01 / 17 / 2014

I was on a road trip in August 2013 and I knew this place had to be one of the places I ate at (mainly because it was vegan and served Southern Comfort food.
Nice owner and comfortable place to eat. I wish i had more opportunities to eat here!
The Memphis BBQ Sandwich was great as was the Spinach dip

Pros: Vegan, Southern Comfort Food
DanimalPanda
DanimalPanda

Food is too good, I couldn't stop eating!

5 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2014

Seriously, the menu has everything you can dream of, and they have many types of desserts. The food, UNREAL... Plus they couldn't get much more friendly.

The restaurant is run out of what feels like a home, and you are a traveler or a friend they really want to take care of. I was so blessed to find this place, and to experience the love here.

THANK YOU IMAGINE!!!

Raesock
Raesock

Great vegan comfort food!

5 Posted on 10 / 30 / 2013

We went here at lunch time and were excited by how big the menu was! They have so many things that we loved before we went vegan, it was hard to pick what to get! The menu is definitely all junk food, so if you're not into that, avoid this place.
We started with the Dogs n' blankets which we both loved! I got the vegan memphis for my meal. The beans were really sweet, which I didn't like, but the bbq sandwich was so good! My husband got the chicken fried steak. He liked the mashed potatoes and the corn casserole, but the mac and cheese was just ok. We wanted to get dessert too, but we were so stuffed!
When we arrived there were two other tables that were already eating, so I was a little confused by how long it took us to get our food. It wasn't a terrible wait, but I bet if it was packed it would be terrible. A guy who came in a little after us waited almost 20 minutes for a sandwich.
All in all we had a good experience and will be back next time we're in Memphis!

Pros: lots of choices, good food, dogs n' blankets
Cons: wait can be long
spiderylue
spiderylue

Totally amazing :D

5 Posted on 07 / 14 / 2013

I was so excited about finding a vegan restaurant in Memphis. This place is basically how vegan restaurants need to be to stand any reasonable chance of perpetuating the cause. I would say that some more vegetable options would have made the menu more balanced, but I was really impressed with the amount of stuff on offer. I had a banana split for desert which was totally delicious, I can die happy now. Just IMAGINE if all restaurants could be this good!

Pros: Amazing selection, Incredible deserts, Friendly staff
Cons: Bit out of the way, Children running around
spookyjess
spookyjess

They were moving!

3 Posted on 03 / 30 / 2013

I took my non-vegan friend here for a meal, both our first times, though. The place was a disaster pretty much, but that was only due to the fact that they were in the process of moving. Apart from that, I could see the laid back atmosphere they were striving for. It took over an hour for us to get our appetizer -- again, I don't know if this is because they were moving or what.

The food: For an app, I ordered the sampler. My friend really liked the dogs-n-blankets, and so did I! The buffalo wings were nice, as were the cheese sticks and hush puppies. The chicken nuggets tasted a little sweet, which was odd to me. Next, I ordered the gumbo -- it definitely wasn't what I expected, but it was terrible. I wouldn't order that again. For an entree I ordered the fried shrimp with mac n' cheese and mashed potatoes. It was decent, but I wish I'd gotten the country fried steak. My friend got the stuffed bell peppers. They were the best thing I tried!

It's still worth a visit as Memphis first all vegan eatery, and my review may have been different if they were settled in their new place.

Pros: decent food, decent price
Cons: food slow to come out
elninolisto
elninolisto

cool place, tasty food, super nice staff, gothere!

5 Posted on 02 / 06 / 2013

Thank you IMAGINE VEGAN CAFE! We had a lovely time!

We ordered the fried shrimp plate with 2 sides (mac'n'cheese + corn casserole) as well as the spinach ravioli in marinara sauce with garlic bread plus a side salad.

Everything tasted really really good!
The salad was super fresh, the pasta delicious and the shrimp plate as yummy as comfort food can get. Tasty garlic bread!
Everything on the menu sounded great.

A real treat were the fantastic cakes - we had a cookies'n'creme chocolate cake and a mardi gras king cake.

The Imagine Vegan Cafe has a hand selected variety of microbrew beers and is really top notch for any beer lover.

The staff were the friendliest people ever - it sounds like an exaggeration but it is just plain and simply the truth.

The neighborhood is a cool place to go and is worth a stroll around the block.

We really were happy with our choice and we hope that Imagine Vegan Cafe will live a long and prosper life!

Updated from previous review on Wednesday February 06, 2013

Pros: delicious food, very friendly staff, kid friendly
Brie651
Brie651

Not the Best

2 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2012

I was very disappointed in this place. Almost all the food was frozen food and nothing was healthy, to my standards. I'm not a junk-food vegan so this place is not somewhere i would go again.

Pros: Vegan
Cons: Unhealthy options, Frozen food
Perdita Fisher
Perdita Fisher

Vegan Cafe

5 Posted on 06 / 18 / 2012

This is a great family owned restaurant. The menu is expansive (lots of choices) and the food is great. The owners are very nice. please visit if you are in the memphis area.

Pros: excellent food, healthy, good value
MattyB
MattyB

Delicious

5 Posted on 04 / 25 / 2012

Ate here when I was in town for business. Food was great, had the Vegan Memphis sandwich which was awesome, buffalo wings which were awesome, pretty good chicken legs, and an awesome chocolate chip cookie sandwich. Very friendly too and in a cool location.

Mmmmmm good...

5 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2011

Well, I just felt fortunate to find this outstanding vegan restaurant.
I inhaled their gumbo which just kicked of
Memphis flavor and then chose the veggie plate and yum yum again.
Everything home cooked, fresh and extremely
flavorful.. The Mac n Cheese was just right on while being smooth, soft and creamy and again fresh. BBQ beans and mashed potatoes all just on the button.
Yeah, I ate and ate and savored every bite.
And the portions were plentiful and the price
more than reasonable if not an actual bargain.
As I write this I am contemplating what dessert to
sin bye.
Mmmmmm good...Lip smacking!!!!!!!

Pros: excellent food, affordable, plentiful portions
Cons: not close to LA
bclarktn
bclarktn

Not what I expected

2 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2011

To Start, my wife and i had high expectations. I should have read into the reviews more. Our first clue should have been when the order taker brought out a frozen package of raviolis after my wife asked how many on an order. this was the first sign of frozen then heated food served here. she had the Eggplant Parmigiana, i had the 3 drum sticks with corn and steamed broccoli. It was awful. the presentation of the food was like something at grade school. the broccoli looked like it had been sitting in the Memphis heat for days. it was very rubbery and chewy. the drumsticks were like frozen fish sticks in a cafeteria. My wifes food tasted like pre-packaged food. it was very disappointing to say the least. [edit by staff].
As for Imagine Vegan Cafe. I give it 1 star only because i ate the food because i was so hungry. i waited all day and it was a date night with my wife and we both went a way VERY hungry and had a bad after taste in our mouth. I'm sorry, i don't see how they will stay open much longer. By the way, my water was a cup of ice from an iglo ice chest and water right from the sink behind the counter. GROSS

Pros: Parking, order taker freindly
Cons: food, atmosphere, food
  • bclarktn bclarktn

I'm sorry, there was 1 good thing. We had the "mozzarella cheese sticks" vegan style. They were pretty good.

Barelos
Barelos

Solid.

4 Posted on 07 / 18 / 2011

We had two different chicken sandwiches - both were great. The hush puppies were awesome, but the mac and cheese was so-so: much more edible with pepper. Plus you can't beat $3 bottles of Abita. Definitely worth a trip if you're vegan/vegan-friendly. Afterward, take a walk across the street to visit the House of Mews!

Guest

Exactly what they said it would be!

5 Posted on 06 / 08 / 2011

Wow! This place was EXACTLY what they said they would be, and we LOVED it!!! It was inexpensive comfort food that tasted great and wasn't fancy. The atmosphere was laid-back with great music and random decor. It was a very family friendly place... kids were playing and having a blast while parents did not have to worry about what everyone else around them thought. The staff was friendly and helpful (even though they were very busy and seemed a bit overwhelmed by the rush). The food was what we expected it to be... vegan comfort food... and this is the main reason I loved it so much! For a semi-vegetarian who is trying hard to make the transition, this place is HEAVEN!!! Most of the time I try to eat out, all I can find is fancy, culinary schooled creations that I can't even pronounce. I always end up eating a salad, some fruit, or (at best) some variation of tofu. No wonder so many people give up on this vegetarian thing here in the south!
Imagine, however, has corn dogs, burgers and fries, pizza, various sandwiches (Philly, Beer Brat, French Dip, etc.), country fried "steak", "chicken" drumsticks and southern style veggies (to name a few) on the menu. My friends and I ordered the "appetizer sampler", the "Chicken" drumstick meal, the philly, and various sides. It all tasted SO good!
We highly recommend this place, especially to those who are looking for good, vegetarian/vegan comfort food. If you are looking for gourmet dishes, table service, and overall "presentation", you should probably go somewhere else. Imagine seems to have been designed for those of us who are a little more down to Earth!

Pros: Great vegan food, Friendly staff, Big menu (lots of options)
Cons: New restaurant, Small staff
FinalTwilight
FinalTwilight

..Eh

2 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2011

So, I went here with two other people, with high hopes. This place has been talked up on vegan blogs and people have generally been super excited about Memphis's first all-vegan locale. But, well, I found it wanting for a lot. Sadly. I really wanted this place to be awesome.

I'll start off by saying the food was at least decent. Nothing was horrible or made any of us want to stop eating or send things back. So, maybe that's something. And we each tried several things. We started off with the cheese sticks and dogs in a blanket apps, which were definitely the best part, ad those two items were very good. But then nothing else was anywhere near as good. I got the french dip, my friends got the mahi mahi and a grilled chicken sandwich. The sides we tried were the carrots, mac and cheese, and green beans. The sides were the worst in that they reminded us all so much of school cafeteria food... just really mushy, lukewarm, overcooked... ugh. I mean, again, not disgusting.. just like.. felt like we were eating reheated frozen tv dinner sides. The main courses left a lot to be desired... they were also just kinda mushy and not presented very well.. the sandwiches were just the bread and meat, you know... just not really impressive.

Then we had dessert, figuring dessert's pretty hard to mess up. And the dessert was more acceptable than the meal, I'd say. The chocolate ganache cake was actually really good. The cookies and cream cake was just okay... nothing special, but not bad. And we got a banana split, too, which had all the right ingredients, and I think with better presentation (and more banana) could have been a real winner, but it was just half a banana spliced in half covered in a mess of vanilla ice cream and some whip cream with some strawberry stuff plopped over that. It tasted okay, but like everything else, could have benefited a lot from effort on the presentation end.

So, all in all I was glad to support a vegan business. But I've been to many vegan eateries around the country, and this place hardly passed as acceptable.. I would not take non-vegans here unless they're very non-picky eaters who think cafeteria food/reheated tv dinners are lovely. But I do hope Imagine stays in business and maybe gets their shit together sooner than later.

Pros: all-vegan place in memphis?, they mean well, appetizers are good, and chocolate cake
Cons: rest of menu mushy and disappointing, loud kids/diaper changing where you eat
mshannon
mshannon

Basic, good, vegan food

5 Posted on 05 / 29 / 2011

I was initially skeptical of Imagine, not because it is all vegan, but because its menu is so extensive. I wondered if a new restaurant with so many options would do justice to any one item. Happily, my experience at Imagine erased all doubts. The food isn't fancy, but is fundamental, basic, good vegan food. Everything I tried was prepared and flavored very well. We started with the spinach artichoke dip, which was very flavorful and not at all heavy. We also enjoyed vegan hot dogs in crescent rolls as an appetizer. My entree was a delicious veggie plate, with some amazing sweet potatoes and mac and cheese. I also tried the vegan pizza that another customer had ordered (it's that kind of place - very friendly!), and thought it was just outstanding. Delicious tomato sauce and spicy vegan sausage. I had the flying elvis cake for dessert, with banana and chocolate cake layered with peanut butter icing. Just heavenly. The prices are very reasonable, and the owners are kind and attentive. Imagine is a great place for everyone of all dietary persuasions.

Pros: reasonable price, friendly staff, lots of options
Cons: not many healthy options
ohmylatte
ohmylatte

Pretty Good

4 Posted on 05 / 17 / 2011

So I went with a fellow veg friend to try out this new vegan place. I will say, it was nice to finally have as many options as other people. It took me awhile to figure out what I wanted because I wasn't limited! We started off with an order of mozzarella sticks- we wanted to try something from every part of the menu. The mozzarella sticks were delicious and tasted pretty close to the real thing. My friend and I are not vegan, so we do have cheese. These were quite good. Next our meal came. I ordered the "Vegan Memphis" which was a barbecue sandwich with fries and beans, but I substituted the fries for macaroni and cheese. My friend ordered a grilled chicken sandwich with macaroni and cheese. the entree of both meals was absolutely delicious- I think my barbecue sandwich could rival any decent Memphis barbecue. The macaroni and cheese, however, was a definite miss. I would not order it again. Next, came the desserts. I got a piece of the Triple Chocolate Ganache Cake and my friend ordered a Brownie Sundae. Both dessert items were spectacular. They were chocolaty, moist, and generous portions. I bought a Cream Cheeze Brownie to go and took it with my lunch the next day. Throughout the course of the meal, my friend and I both had a Jones Cream Soda and a Chocolate Shake. Their Chocolate Shakes were very good, and obviously Jones Sodas are amazing! Overall, it was a very good experience! The store front does not have anything on the door to let you know that it is Imagine, and it is right next door to a pizza place, so that is slightly confusing. There's also not much parking, but that is to be expected in the Cooper-Young area! I would definitely return!

Pros: number of options, friendly staff, homey feel
Cons: not recognizable from street, not very spacious

Dear Owner and Manager of Imagine Vegan Cafe: