Ile de Elequa - maybe closed

Serves meat veg options available. Feb 2013 reported by happycow member no longer pure veg, and most dishes now contain meat or fish. Organic restaurant offering menu-del-dia and other dishes like lasagna, quiche, Colombian tamale. Space designed to the standards of feng shui. Previously operated as Kimpira. JAN 2014 NOTE: maybe closed/shut down, please verify and let HappyCow know. Price: Moderate more-less
Organic, Western, Spanish, Non-veg
C/ Juristas, 12
Valencia, Spain 46001

Opens Mon-Sun 13.30-16.00, Sat 20.30-24.00.

First Review by adamrowland
mikebinos
mikebinos

nice little place

4 Posted on 04 / 18 / 2012

Good dish of the day. Polenta with beans and greens. Friendly staff as well. Nothing too amazing but it was a nice spot in Valencia for a pretty big lunch.

sbszine
sbszine

Unique food

4 Posted on 03 / 05 / 2012

Some really weird and wonderful Iron Chef type food in an upmarket setting. For example the wontons (which someone has uploaded a photo of) are dates wrapped in seaweed wrapped in gow gee skin, deep fried with a vegan lemon cream. They sounded kind of wrong but tasted divine.

It's probably not for everyone, but it really clicked with us and we kept going back until we had tried everything on the menu.

Pros: Original, Classy
Cons: Hours, Price
Liilamayii
Liilamayii

Nice place

4 Posted on 02 / 12 / 2012

We went here once, and had problems to find the place (even if it is in the middle of the historical centre). When we came, the place was empty as it was a bit early according to Spanish lunch time. Still, the service was extremely slow, it seem a bit like they tried to pretend to be more busy than what they were. The place is nice, though, seems to be quite a trendy place. The food is macrobiotic and tasted nice. We ordered the daily menu which was nice and variated.

Pros: Healthy food
Cons: A bit pretencious staff

Colleen Connors
Colleen Connors

A hard-to-find but worthwhile treat!

5 Posted on 08 / 09 / 2011

Kimpira is an all-vegan restaurant that also specializes in organic, macrobiotic, local foods. It is a little bit difficult to find, especially if this is your first time in Valencia, but well worth the effort! I ended up going there twice I was so happy with the experience. The wait staff is very friendly, and were able to suggest their favourites.

The first time I went, I just opted for their veggie-burger, which was pretty standard as for as veggie burgers from higher-end restaurants go, but what was really special were the sides. Best guacamole I have ever had, hands down, and the little mini-salads and veggie sides that come with it were creative and very tasty.

I went another time for lunch and there were only two options for their lunch menu. Under my waiters suggestion, I had some kind of tempeh that also came with a unique salad and veggie side, plus soup and these amazing "creamy" whipped potatoes with seeds and spices on top. I wish I could describe the food better, but let's just say every mouthwatering bite was enjoyed slowly and thoroughly! Yes, the portions aren't HUGE, but I didn't find them meagre, either. It is a higher-end restaurant, so you pay more--my meals both days were in the $13-15 range, but it is so worth it. I felt I got my money's worth and am more than happy to support a restaurant like Kimpira. That being said, if you are looking for something super cheap, this is not your place.

Vegan food isn't that easy to come by in Spain. If you are a vegan visiting Valencia, you must visit Kimpira!

Pros: Delicious food, Unique items, Macrobiotic
Cons: Hard to find
jmw5577
jmw5577

Expensive but good

4 Posted on 04 / 04 / 2011

Nothing spectacular as far as the food, but it was good. The set menu was about 15 euros per person, with a bottle of water. The trouble is that it was not a lot of food. There was soup to start, some croquettes, shredded veggies and rice for the main, with tea at the end. It was tasty, but not tasty enough for the price. If you like a fancy place that serves small portions though, this would work for that purpose.

Pros: clean, friendly, healthy
Cons: expensive, not much food for price
Nihacc
Nihacc

Not bad but expensive

3 Posted on 03 / 13 / 2011

Lunch menu (soup, main dish and tea) costs 13'50 euros, but dinner menu ('a la carte') is quite expensive and in my opinion food was quite normal and not very abundant, I expected something better. For example, 'menu degustacion' for two people includes pates, wanton of dates (snack), leek & tofu quiche, salad, pie and tea for 50 euros... main dishes between 12 and 14 euros, and pies 6 euros. The night before we went to Espaivisor, we paid the same amount of money and we ate more and better. There's also a kid menu for 12'50 euros and take away service at lunch Monday-Saturday from 13:30 to 15:30.

adamrowland
adamrowland

Fantastic and delicious

5 Posted on 06 / 15 / 2010

Located just a short walk from Valencia Cathedral this gem of a restaurant resides on a quiet and picturesque side street. We went for lunch and were told by a friendly woman outside (which we later believe to be the owner) that it was a set menu during the day and the al a carte menu in the evening only. The waitress didn't speak much English but with my terrible Spanish gained the gist. We had the most delicate and delicious gazpacho to start with followed by a choice of pasta or rice. We both chose the pasta which was pesto tagliatelle, seasoned veg and what i can only describe as some of the best marinated tofu I have ever tasted! The desserts weren't included in the set menu but we tried a slice of the chocolate torte and apple pie. Both were decadent and wonderful.
The restaurant was modern chic with hip chandeliers, earthy tones and a great atmosphere. Kimpira is a must if you're in Valencia - I want to hear what the al a carte menu is like!!

Pros: Excellent food, Macrobiotic, Decadent desserts

Dear Owner and Manager of Ile de Elequa - maybe closed: