Gelateria in central Rome with a wide range of vegan (soy) gelato varieties. more-less

First Review by veganmanc
Manfredson
Manfredson

not very friendly...

4 Posted on 09 / 06 / 2014

...but very delicious!

different sorbets and also soy variations:
strawberry, vanilla, hazelnut, chocolate, pistachio.

talpo
talpo

Amazing ice cream!

5 Posted on 06 / 28 / 2014

Great ice cream, about 6-8 soy-based flavors. moderate price
recommended!!

Pros: great taste and texture, located in central Rome, not exspansive
vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

Delicious vegan gelato, friendly service

3 Posted on 12 / 16 / 2013

I went here 2 days ago, and the guy behind the counter was SUPER excited that I asked about vegan gelato. He assured me the soy gelato was vegan but said that the cones are not vegan.

They had 5 vegan flavors the night I went in. I tried 3 of them, and they were all delicious.

Pros: Vegan gelato

ausosk
ausosk

not vegan anymore

1 Posted on 12 / 08 / 2013

Hi. Went there today (8 Dec 2013). Asked which gelato was vegan and the man said none. Very disappointed. Should have read the other review which had also found this.

Cons: no vegan gelato, no soy gelato
Spinach24
Spinach24

No soy gelato

1 Posted on 11 / 18 / 2013

I went out of my way to go here on a Saturday, and the case was filled with dairy gelato, but I didn't see any soy gelato. I asked the person behind the counter and they confirmed they didn't have ANY soy gelato. Thinking it was just a temporary shortage, I went back several hours later and they still didn't have any. So if you want a sure-fire place to get soy gelato, don't bother going here.

Pros: Lots of dairy gelato
Cons: No soy gelato
AshleyLorden
AshleyLorden

Several soy gelato options!

4 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2013

An easy walk from the colosseum, this gelateria has several soy-based flavors to choose from. No seating inside and can get quite crowded, so walk half a block back down the street to sit by the fountain which, shockingly, seems to be a gathering place for actual local Romans even though it's close to the tourist sites. Recommended!

Pros: Flavor choices, Friendly service
Cons: Crowded
Veganbogey
Veganbogey

Tasty

4 Posted on 12 / 25 / 2012

Easy to find from the coliseum (follow on street level) virtually opposite mother India.
We visited in December. There was a sign and though we don't understand Italian it seemed to say they will be shut in January as there is not much of demand. Back open in feb.
We had chocolate and vanilla in 3 euro tubs. Tubs are large,suggest if you are just sampling go for smallest size! Chocolate was nicest.

Lady behind counter didn't speak English and was rather grumpy! Good job the gelato made up for it. Reading earlier comments,we avoided the cone. Thank you !

Pros: A nice treat
Cons: Grumpy staff
neekole
neekole

a real treat

4 Posted on 06 / 27 / 2012

il gelatone is a real treat in the Roma heat! we tried these soy flavors: cappuccino, hazelnut, pistachio, chocolate, mixed berry, and coconut. they were all very good, cappuccino was my favorite. very creamy. the prices for soy flavors are slightly higher than regular gelato. it was €2, €2.50, and €3 for the different cup sizes. there is also take away containers for €20 per kilo (or around there). they had no vegan cones.

the location is also very nice, it is near the collesseo and cavour stops on metro line B, easy to walk to, easy to find.

Pros: flavor variety, good location, so tasty
Cons: no vegan cones
veganmanc
veganmanc

Great selection of vegan ice cream

4 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2011

Visited June 2011 - big selection of soy gelato in the section near the door. There were 8 flavours including pistachio, hazelnut and coconut. It's a small place so only about 5 seats inside and no outdoor seats but its a central location.
Thanks to the Vegan Backpacker blog to alerting me to this place! (http://veganbackpacker.com/blog/rome-italy-vegan-vegetarian/)

Pros: Vegan icecream, Central location

Dear Owner and Manager of Il Gelatone: