Specials includes black or white soybeans cooked into tofu, tempura vegetables, pickled vegetables, and three different forms of tofu. Some English spoken. Address in Japanese: 京都府京都市東山区清水3-342. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly
Shimizu-ku, Kyoto Higashiyama 3-342 (2nd floor)
Kyoto, Japan

Open 11.00-16.00.

First Review by happygoat2
happygoat2
happygoat2

Japanese style with vegan options

4 Posted on 09 / 24 / 2012

Out of the veggie restaurants I ate at during my 2 week trip to Japan (September 2012), this was the most traditional Japanese dining experience I had. It's a lovely space with tatami mats and floor seating. It's not all vegetarian, but they were happy to veganize my meal by leaving the fish out. The food was quite good; my friend and I split a meal which had many small dishes (vegan tempura, tofu soup, seaweed/veggies, rice, some bean paste sweets... I'm probably forgetting the rest). They spoke no English though, and without my Japanese-speaking friend I would have had a hard time deciphering the menu and requesting the veggie options.

Pros: Beautiful atmosphere, Friendly and patient staff, Good food
Cons: Not all vegetarian, No English spoken

Dear Owner and Manager of Ihei: