Cozy vegetarian cafe and pastry shop with daily self-serve buffet. Makes various pastries, gratin, pizza, and even vegan cookies sometimes. Vegans to specify. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, European, German, Pizza, Bakery, Buffet, Take-out, Catering
Georgenstr. 67 (Schwabing)
Munich, Germany 80779
089-2716093

Open Mon, Wed-Sun 8.00-23.00.

First Review by juliotnunes
kzollman
kzollman

Good, but not great, vegetarian food

4 Posted on 02 / 09 / 2014

This place is a solid vegetarian restaurant, with good but not exceptional food. I would cast the style of food as international but with a distinctively German twist. Features include gnocchi, some curry dishes, and risotto.

The menu is very large, but on quick inspection you find that there are only about ten or so dishes with many small variations. The food is tasty, but tends to be on the heavy/fatty side. The portions are large -- the daily specials come with an appetizer and all dishes come with a dessert from the bakery.

The menu has a page for vegans which is marked, although I did not try any of the dishes. They looked like they might not have sufficient sources of protein. Many of the vegetarian dishes rely on cream or cheese.

The restaurant itself is small and is busy on most nights. I would recommend going early or getting a reservation. The decor is nice, but not fancy. It looks like they have street-side seating in the summer. You must enter through the bakery which is extremely cramped. Both times I went the staff was friendly and helpful and the waiters spoke English. I don't know if they have an English menu.

Pros: Large menu, Good food, Friendly staff
Cons: Heavy, Small space
frapitagora
frapitagora

TERRIBLE !

2 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2014

The worst vegetarian restaurant ever visited..... really disgusting..... service poor, food i have not eat ...... paid 30 euro without eating NOTHING. I say taht i m vegan and visited about 50 restaurant all over the world. Never eat so bad.......

DaniM
DaniM

Yummy!

4 Posted on 12 / 03 / 2013

They have a huuuuge menu and the meals and beverages are very yummy! All in all very good to eat there and have a cozy evening with friends. And; it is very good at the price!

chrdold
chrdold

my favourite

5 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2013

I lived nearby for eight years and this was my favourite place to eat. Great food, big portions (you can order one for two and see if you are hungry afterwards) and great special price offers (for example in the afternoon).
Nice people there as well.
I miss it.

Pros: good food, big portions, great special offers
Cons: I don´t live there anymore
anomaly77
anomaly77

It's not a menu but a book!!

4 Posted on 04 / 28 / 2013

This is probably the biggest choices I have ever had ( Except the Green house in Manchester, sadly it does not exist any more) They have a book and you choose a page and the number of the dish!!!

Outrageously huge choices!!

Guess what I will be cautious to say it is tasty because there are just so many dishes but you can have the faith in them!

Location is brilliant, just a 5 minute walk from the university and you can eat here I guess everyday!

Strongly recommended, take me there as well!

Pros: Huge choice, Very tasty, Great atmosphere
Cons: You cannot stop serving at 10!, Touch expensive

vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

Decent brunch

3 Posted on 04 / 28 / 2013

Went here recently for a brunch on a Saturday morning. With brunch + coffee with soy milk, I paid 12,50€ which isn't too bad for all-you-can-eat brunch at a vegetarian restaurant.

Less than half of the prepared items on the brunch buffet were vegan, and they're not labeled - I had to ask the waiter. However, he knew which ones were vegan without having to ask the kitchen, so that was good. Also, 90% of the breads on the buffet were vegan, plus lots of fresh fruits. Overall, there was far more than I could eat, and the food was quite good.

It wasn't the best brunch I've ever had, but it was good, and I'd go back again.

Pros: All-veg
Cons: No signs for vegan items
goamiez
goamiez

super kuchen

5 Posted on 01 / 25 / 2013

hier gibts den besten kuchen in münchen. hab mich durch einige schon probiert und fast alle waren ausnamslos köstlich. zum essen war ich bisher nur einmal dort, aber das war auch lecker. das personal ist auch immer super freundlich und kompetent. preise sind auch ok.

hack_man
hack_man

One of the best in Munich

4 Posted on 11 / 04 / 2012

A seriously good place with huge vegan choice such as pizza and gratin. The interior is very warm and welcoming. Initially I thought it was just a take out bakery and cake shop but if you walk in and go round to the right there are two fair sized dining rooms. Evening is the best time to visit when it's really cosy and inviting. Make sure you arrive by 21:00 as during the week it tends to get quiet after this time and they may turn you away. On the other hand, on our most recent visit on 31 Oct 2012 (the night before a national German holiday on 1 Nov) it was extemely busy and after coming back as advised at 21.30 we were told we had to rush our food and leave by 22.00. As it happened, we left at 22.20 and there were still people finishing off but the staff were very intent on clearing the place. Regardless of this I would still highly recommend this place for good service and great simple food. Along with Prinz Myshkin, Kaede and Vegelangelo this is an essential place to return to in Munich particularly for evening dining.

Pros: cosy, staff, food
Cons: unpredictable
Navy27
Navy27

Yummy and healthy

5 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2012

Great variety of delicious and healthy vegan dishes. The cafe also sells homemade vegan cookies. Yummy! Everybody who orders an entree can choose a free cookie as dessert. My meat-eating friend an me are avid fans of Cafe Ignaz. Highly recommended!

Pros: Yummy food, Good value, Friendly staff
mina.aphrodosia
mina.aphrodosia

sounds better than it is

2 Posted on 06 / 01 / 2011

I've been to cafe iganz two days ago with my husband and a friend, due to my sister's recommodation. While reading the menu, I got excited because everything sounded soo good, with not-so-everyday ingredients etc. I tried the pomegranate lemonade recommended my the waiter and didn't really like it. I had wok glass noodles with dates, sea vegetables, brokkoli and carrots. The veggies were overcooked and the whole dish was just dissappointing. My husband had a starter salad, which was boring (shredded veggies that tasted like nothing, and a dressing alike, that was on the ground of the plate, not even poured over) and a potatoe stir fry, which was okay. My friend had a sweetpotatoe stir fry, which came along with A LOT of liquid, it looked like a soup. It smelled nice, but wasn't as good as I expect when I eat out. All the dishes were like "If I try this at home, it will be so much better"-waste-of-money-and-time, the whole evening was a huge dissappoinment. The waiter, too, was annoying. He tried to be funny und talked a lot, whereas I expect from a waiter to be more in the background, but ready when you need something or have a question. This waiter wanted to live out his extreme personality and interrupted our meal and conversation several times. When my friend asked for a spoon, he hurried away, and then forgot about it. Also, there're no desserts on the menu, just the cakes at the inside counter. I wish we had tried the vietnamese restaurant next door!

Pros: location
Cons: taste, waiter, no real desserts
razorfrog
razorfrog

Amazing food, drinks, and cake!

5 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2011

Cafe Ignaz is a bit off of the beaten path, but worth stopping by while in Munich. Their menu is large: a few pages of drinks, beers, appetizers, and main dishes. The dishes range from "traditional' German to Thai and Chinese. Tons of options here.

Best part? Every main dish comes with a free slice of pie/cake from their great bakery. Yum!

Pros: Variety of dishes, Drink Menu, Free Pie
arherron
arherron

One lunchtime in July

3 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2010

The Sunday brunch buffet is good for vegetarians but the vegan pizza's were rather a bland affair. Staff are friendly although the service is slow. You get a free cake at the end which is a nice surprise. Menu in German only. Staff speak limited English.

Pros: Cozy , Vegan options clearly marked
Cons: Vegan mushroom pizza really rather poor
wangyueh
wangyueh

Worth visiting for vegans

3 Posted on 01 / 10 / 2010

Cafe Ignaz has designed vegetarian and vegan nenus which are very much appreciated. Nevertheless, there aren't many vegan varieties in Sunday brunch

Pros: friendly staff, banana tofu cake is good
Cons: seatings are too tight, illumination can be brighter, entrance path too narrow
mlcats
mlcats

at home at Cafe Ignaz

4 Posted on 11 / 19 / 2009

An extensive menu that can be adapted. The atmosphere is very welcoming, and the staff very friendly, and in our experience, prompt. One in particular is very amusing! Very large portions. The free dessert at the end can only be eaten on the premise, so ask for a box for your main course to be able to sample the baked goods. I feel at home at Cafe Ignaz.

Pros: excellent food, original menu, friendly
Cons: large portions
acidkitty
acidkitty

Just OK- but options are limited in Munich

2 Posted on 10 / 05 / 2009

My husband and I were looking forward to eating here and were excited when we came upon a cosy, romantic looking place. The man behind the pastry counter did not speak English but was very friendly. We opted to sit outside. When no one showed up to take our order, we went inside.

Although we were literally the only people eating in the restaurant, and ordered a cognac and a beer- two drinks that are very simple to make (you just pour them), I would say it too at least 15 minutes for us to get our drinks. So long, in fact, that the dinner came right afterwards. It seems that the kitchen was fast while our server was amazingly slow. Once the food was delievered, she never checked on us once- we had to flag her down to get the bill and she put our leftovers in a box and left them at her station- never brought them to us. When we wanted to leave, we had to shout to the back and ask if that was our food.

We had to ask about the cake, which the friendly man behind the counter gave us, with some translation help from another customer. They have an amazing-looking pastry counter, but the plum tart/cake we got was just OK. However, it was free, and one of two free options (the other was rhubarb strawberry pie, which may have been vegan- the plum tart definitely was not).

The food was a little strange- my husband's risotto was not risotto but was basmati rice with julienned zucchini and sliced mushrooms on top, sitting in a salty milk soup. My vegan rice in curry was odd- it had zucchini and dates in coconut milk and I think dried basil, a strange combo. It was OK though, and I was just happy to have some actual vegetables instead of french fries for a meal.

Everything vegan is clearly marked on the menu, although I have to say it seems that 1/2 of the vegan options have dates or sugar in them, which is not really what you want for dinner usually. There are about 3 times as many vegetarian options.

In all, it was OK. We left feeling like we would rather have tried the Lebanese place next door. And I should say we are relatively easy going, and ready to forgive all when the food is amazing, which it was not. However, vegetarian and especially vegan options are very limited in Munich, so it may be worth a try if you're there for several days.

Pros: atmosphere, pastry counter, pastry counter guy
Cons: service, food just OK, could use more vegan options
Iines
Iines

All right!

3 Posted on 08 / 25 / 2009

Nice atmosphere. Huge menu. Though I have to say the cakes..haven't seen a cake!

juliotnunes
juliotnunes

Cafe Ignaz

4 Posted on 01 / 16 / 2007

Nice little cozy place to eat and relax. I enjoyed the meal. Everything is not vegan so you have to ask for all my vegan friends.

Dear Owner and Manager of Ignaz: