Serves meat, veg options available. Fish restaurant with a few vegetarian dishes. Quiet setting, historic interior. Popular with tourists. Price: Moderate more-less
Russian, Non-veg

First Review by Marquis
ine-a
ine-a

Quite alright

2 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2013

I didn't really like the interior, but that's a matter of taste. It was nice to come there and sit after a long day of walking. Got free shots of vodka (I don't drink alcohol myself, but friends appreciated it though). They had vegetarian options, but very little vegan. I ended up eating fried veggies with sausage. It was taste but not very much (especially for the price I paid). Go there if you're in the neighbourhood, but don't make a long walk for it if you're looking for a good vegan meal. Might as well go some other place, it wasn't that special. Friendly service though, they knew English!

Pros: Friendly service, Free vodka
Cons: Not a lot vegan options, A bit ugly
Huber
Huber

Great for vegetarians traveling with omnivores

4 Posted on 06 / 10 / 2012

This is a wonderful vegetarian option for those traveling to St. Petersburg made better because I often travel with a non-vegetarian. My friend and I loved the food and the ambiance. There is a smokers section well separated from nonsmokers. It is not inexpensive but a good value for the price.

Pros: excellent food
DanielFerguson
DanielFerguson

Not vegan

2 Posted on 10 / 23 / 2011

This place is barely vegetarian, I ended up with a bowl of bloody salad, cost me an arm and a leg too. Free shot of vodka when you sit down though. If your a vegan forget it.

Pros: Free vodka
Cons: Not vegan
galiadv
galiadv

Expensive with a very few vegan options

1 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2011

Looks like their "vegetarian" status is only to follow the facion. 2 years ago, when I went there for the first and last time, they had 2 options for vegans in menu: boiled potatoes and veggie rice (it was tasty though).
It's very expensive, too.

Pros: Interior, Stuff
Cons: Overpriced, almost no vegan options
Morkvomork
Morkvomork

Nice but expensive

4 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2011

Had been there quite often in the past, but at that time I still ate meat so I didn't really noticed what kind of restaurant it was. I just loved the atmosphere. This week I was there the first being a vegan. It was not easy to find something on the menue suiting me, but finally had a delicious dinner. My fellows were not so happy, because they are meat eaters and the found it quite hard to find something in the menu.

Nevertheless: Price is far too high!

Pros: free Vodka I didn't need
Cons: Price
ericgoldman
ericgoldman

Not a Great Vegetarian Destination

3 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2011

It's easy to see why it gets the raves: it's conveniently located, it is extremely atmospheric, it caters to American ex-pats, and it offers complimentary vodka shots. Nevertheless, I thought this place was overrated. First, the restaurant has more vegetarian options than many Russian restaurants, but it's not actually that vegetarian-friendly. Second, my meal was unremarkable. Finally, prices are not cheap.

Jonathan Ahlbring
Jonathan Ahlbring

Loved the interiors and the name

4 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2011

Loved the mood. I ate there twice on my St. Peterburg trip. Good Borstj and Pelmini! If there's meateaters in the company, the have a small meatselection.

wildfang
wildfang

The most relaxing place ever!

4 Posted on 02 / 05 / 2010

I went to Idiot once in November 2008 and loved it! Luckily, there weren't many tourists there then.
I was served by the very friendly and English-speaking staff and got a pot of tea and pelmeni with potato filling and mushroom sauce. She told me it was vegan but somehow I had the impression she didn't exactly know what that meant. If I think about it now, it probably wasn't vegan. The food was, however, delicious, and the atmosphere great. I felt more comfortable than at home - the dark red walls, the old interior, the music, warmth.
I totally recommend it.

mrrfrost
mrrfrost

Great food in a great setting

4 Posted on 05 / 25 / 2009

We went twice to Idiot which served fish dishes and a range of vegetarian versions of Russian dishes. First time had the borsch and perogis and the second time had a delicious pear salad and the perogis again! The building is by a canal, about 5 mins from ST Isaac's church and the interior is really cosy and friendly. The staff spoke English and the menus were in Russian and English and the prices weren't too bad for Russia! Food is served with a wide, complimentary selection of breads which were lovely.

Niels
Niels

Vegetarian??

2 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2008

Pretty good food and nice atmosphere, but...

'Not 100% vegetarian'? You could say that again. It's more like a fish restaurant with some vegetarian options.
'Vegan-friendly'? The waitress didn't know what 'vegan' meant and the menu didn't indicate if something is vegetarian or vegan. There wasn't anything specifically vegan besides vegetables and potatoes. All in all, not that much more vegan-friendly than any other non-vegetarian restaurant I went to in St. Petersburg.

Marquis
Marquis

Fantastic!

4 Posted on 02 / 08 / 2008

I've been to this restaurant about two years ago and it was one of the highlights of my trip to Russia. You should try the brosjsj (Russian beet soup)!

Pros: Food, Interior
Cons: Many tourists

Dear Owner and Manager of Idiot: