The food wasn't the best. I probably won't order from ere again. However, I'd rather focus on the positive...the delivery was super fast.Pros: fast delivery
I loved the place and the food was very good. Extensive vegetarian menu like no other Asian restaurant. Clean, knowledgeable staff, and fast service. My two toddlers approved and that is what matters. We'll be coming back soon.Pros: fast service, very tasty, vegetarian dishes
I had the pleasure of revisiting Hunan Village last week. I made the trip into Houston to visit Pepper Tree, but they were closed. I had this incredible craving for mock beef and knew that Hunan Village had it. I was not disappointed. I had the vegetarian Hot and Sour soup and vegetarian beef with broccoli. It was very tasty and I was so happy that I visited them. The place had a fair amount of people there - all seemingly happy with their meals. Please do not be put off by a bad review - it's worth a visit. Many veg options, even on their lunch specials.Pros: Tasty, Many veg options, Clean
Cons: Parking lot
Not wanting to go out in rush hour traffic and craving Chinese food, we decided to order in last night. We ended up ordering from Hunan Village (from a very English speaking order taker mind you) eggrolls, General Tso chicken with white rice and Sweet and Sour Pork with white rice.
The food we received was as follows:
- The eggrolls. They were downright anorexic. The outside was waxy and greasy like they had been sitting out under a heat lamp for days and each one was the width of 2 pens side by side. I mean I've had Combos with more filling. At least there was NOT any Duck sauce or anything to make them palatable.
- General Tso chicken. If any of you have ever had General Tso chicken, you know that this is supposed to be a SPICY dish. I've quite frankly had WATER with more flavor than Hunan Village's version of this dish. It was so bland it could secretly replace a jar of baby food and neither the parent nor the baby would be the wiser.
- Sweet and Sour Pork. No sauce whatsoever. When I called and complained, the people on the other line suddenly went all deep China on me and no one there spoke little more than a few words of broken English. (Yup, they went all "I make special deal for you/Me love you long time" on me.) They resolved the issue by transferring me to yet another person who spoke even less English than the 1st. The only thing I was assured was that it was supposed to come like that and that there was sauce somewhere. Perhaps in someone else's order because there was none in mine.
- The white rice. The only thing decent and I think that's because all they did was boil it and box it. No Hunan Village special touch here.
If you've never had Chinese food before, this place will turn you off on it forever. If you are so hard up for Chinese food as to consider ordering from this place, I would suggest you try the freezer section of your supermarket first as the quality and price of the food at the grocery store is exponentially better. Or perhaps there is a dumpster you could dive instead.
Cons: Pretty much , every, thing
Hunan Village is one of my favorite restaurants in Houston! They have an extensive vegetarian menu with Wonton Soup ( which any veggie will tell you is near impossible to find veg) and tasty entrees. I recommend the Veggie General Tsao's Chicken. It is sooo good!!Pros: Tons of options, Great Prices
- Link to this page from your site. Entry info.
- Return to Houston Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
- Business Owners, if you see an unfair review, read this.
- Why was my review removed? - details
- Reviews are not endorsed by HappyCow - review terms
- Has Hunan Village closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
- This page has been viewed 609 times since Jan 2013.