Hummus Place - West Village

Kosher hummus cafe with several NYC locations. Small menu. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Kosher, Israeli, Middle Eastern, Take-out, Delivery

First Review by maliciouskami
Jelden
Jelden

Love this place

4 Posted on 01 / 13 / 2010

We visited NY on a cold day in January. And The Hummus Place was an amazing stop for some delicious snacks.

The dining area was small and so was the menu. But both sort of added to the quaint nature this place had. Also from the pictues it looks like the other locations are a fair bit bigger.

Like i said the menu was fairly small but everything we got was amazing. We ordered two different types of hummus (the Hummus Mushroom was amazing) and a roasted eggplant appetizer. The hummus was served with warm pitas and it was just what we needed to warm up and feel happy.

I also ordered a homemade lemonade which was just great.

You have got to stop by if you get a chance. The food is warm and delicious. The staff was very nice, although they had a note that they were no longer accepted credit cards as of Jan 11th. Overall a very good experience.

Pros: Amazing Hummus, Lemonade, Great Staff
Cons: Slightly Cramped, No Credit Cards
saynotobarbie
saynotobarbie

One of my favs!

5 Posted on 10 / 27 / 2009

I love the Hummus Place. I have been to three locations, all downtown. I like this one the best because it's fantastically bigger than the others. The food has always been great. Just be sure to ask for Hummus without an egg if you are vegan. Their falafels are really yummy too. They have fresh OJ, which is nice. I haven't tried the tea, but it looked yummy with all the mint in it. And the pita does come with the hummus. I have never been charged extra, unless I ask for extra, but two is plentiful for a bowl. If you are hungry, you can totally have a bowl of hummus to yourself. And if you are famished, you can probably fit a falafel appetizer in too. :)

Pros: Yum, Yum , Good array of selections
Cons: some locations are cramped
Bow
Bow

Simple and satisfying

4 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2009

The food is simple, the choice is limited, but it tastes really good and we made a return trip. We ordered the hummus with mushrooms both times and it was delicious. The hummus was warm and seasoned, the mushrooms were superb, and it came with warm fresh pita pockets. The health salad and the tabouleh were both delicious too. My boyfriend enjoyed the Israeli beer. The food is cheap and filling. The atmosphere is not the best - the restaurant is tiny, warm and noisy - but it's a decent place to go for a quick, light meal.

Pros: Tasty food, Cheap, Quick
Cons: Limited menu, Crowded and warm
raphalla
raphalla

Not Bad

3 Posted on 06 / 13 / 2008

Well... The food wasnt bad, but you know, a big bowl of hummus with two roti. It is more like a place for the students from the nearby New York University. :)

Pros: Price, Ambient, Service
Cons: Food
maliciouskami
maliciouskami

It was okay.

3 Posted on 01 / 09 / 2008

This place wasn't awful, but it wasn't anywhere I'd go again given all the options NYC has. My boyfriend loved it, though, and said it was one of his favorite stops on our trip. They basically just sell huge bowls of hummus that are meant to be shared but are not marked as such, so we ended up with way too much of it. The hummus is decorated nicely but is heavy on the tahini. It costs extra for tiny portions of falafel or pita. One of my friends just ate his hummus with a spoon to save money. Atmosphere was cozy and offered a nice view of the street outside. The tea is a must, as it comes with generous sprigs of fresh mint. In the end, however, I kinda wished we'd gone to the Indian restaurant next door instead!

Pros: View, Display/appearance of dishes, Great tea
Cons: Overpriced, Small portions, Unimpressive

Dear Owner and Manager of Hummus Place - West Village: