Hummus Bar Vegetarian -...

A location of Hummus bar, this is in central Budapest, near the Parliament and Western Railway station. Offers hummus, falafel, pita, and soups. English spoken and on the menu. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Middle Eastern, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by morrowdoug
Fruchtfledermaus05
Fruchtfledermaus05

nice soup!

5 Posted on 08 / 28 / 2014

Had a great meal here, my friend and I ordered a vegan feast of couscous soup, hot pitta breads, fries and hummus plate with aubergine... delicious! really good prices too, so cheap we thought we must have got the currency conversion wrong!

Pros: great food, cheap!
Sciurus85
Sciurus85

Lovely

5 Posted on 11 / 30 / 2013

We ask for a lentil soup and a hummus complete plate. Both were excellent. One of the guys that work there also brought us a simple of a typical Hungarian drink...I think it was called Sakla. It was very good, an hot drink very welcome in a chilly day. It is not vegan although, because was made of milk.

Pros: good selection, Friendly staff, Good environment
Happymouse
Happymouse

Ok

3 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2013

We chose salad, fries and hummus in a pita bread but it didn't taste very special. The service personal wasn't too friendly either, there are better Hummus bars in Budapest.
See here as well here for other restaurant tips in Budapest: http://rawsday.wordpress.com/2013/07/26/vegan-in-budapest/

Pros: Cheap, Free lemonade when entering

rosie
rosie

best falafel in Budapest

5 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2012

excellent falafel. Nice relaxed place, friendly staff, menus in English and the staff speak English too. Good range of vegan stuff and the homemade lemonade is very nice. There are 7 Hummus Bars in Budapest - we tried several. Two are solely vegetarian, but the other 5 have a good range of vegan food too. and they have free wifi too.

Pros: top falafel , nice atmosphere, friendly staff
JustynaSoloducha
JustynaSoloducha

a place you wish to come back to

5 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2012

Hummus tastes here incredible! food is yummy, you should check lemonade, too. they have very nice outdoor seating.

Pros: outdoor seating, delicous food
BartekBondzior
BartekBondzior

Best in Budapest, must visit!

5 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2012

The hummus plates is something I have never eaten before. It is so yummmy I can't describe it! Also the lemonade was delicious. When you order you don't need to pay in advance, you just sit and eat and pay after you're done. When it's hot outside, you get free shot of lemonade before you even order.

Pros: Yummy as hell, Cheap, English menu
borkdude
borkdude

Decent pita's, old tasting fries, oily salad

3 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2012

My wife and I visited this hummus bar during our trip in Budapest. We enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere while starting off with a Hungarian Dreher beer. The terras is situated on the pavement, so you can enjoy lots of people walking by (some frowning while seeing a vegetarian bar, which made us laugh actually). I ordered a hummus pita, because I had already some falafels during our trip through Eastern Europe. Tasted good, nothing to complain about. My wife had a falafel pita, which tasted good according to her. The fries we ordered tasted a bit old, not the best. Also the side salad (home made salad mix) was not what I had hoped for: mainly cucumber cubusses drawned in olive oil (I was hoping for some low fat leafy greens to load up some vitamines for the rest of our trip...).
Updated from previous review on Friday July 27, 2012

Pros: decent falafel, the way it should be
Cons: the salad was too oily, no leafy greens, fries tasted old
VeggieMon
VeggieMon

Quick, tasty, cheap

4 Posted on 05 / 17 / 2012

I went to this Hummus Bar a couple of times for lunch. They servce ample portions, and you can't possibly be grumpy about having a draught Kozel with your meal. They have your sort of nominal mise en place, but they do prepare a lot of the food to-order, including the falafel, at least from what I saw. That's pretty nice, considering the place isn't supposed to be high-brow. A lot of other places might cut corners for what they're asking for the food.

It's simple food done in a satisfying way. Nothing spectacular to be sure, but good for what it is.

Pros: Inexpensive, Tasty, Convenient
hanadesu
hanadesu

quick delicious food

4 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2012

During our stay in Budapest we ate at various Hummus Bars. This one is vegetarian, so does not offer any meat options, which was fine with us ;)
We had the "shakshuka" special and the "complete" hummus dish. Both were delicious and fresh (my shakshuka came right out of the oven and was still bubbling :)
The staff was friendly and could speak English. The atmosphere is not exactly cozy but absolutely fine for a delicious dinner/meal.

Pros: food, price, staff
Cons: atmosphere
trinitybourne
trinitybourne

Fine

4 Posted on 10 / 26 / 2011

Our experience here was fine for a vegan hummus fix. I really appreciated having an English language menu and knowing that what I ordered was actually vegan.

We ate mixed salads with chips, pita and hummus. It tasted fine and was well priced. There are vegan and veggie options although they also serve meat.

Pros: Vegan options, English menu, Price
Cons: Not exclusively veg*n
Marcius Baratella
Marcius Baratella

Great food and Great Service

5 Posted on 09 / 02 / 2011

I went there on Sunday, Aug 28th, in the evening at around 9pm when it's absolutely impossible to find somewhere vegetarian in Budapest. The girl who served me is extremely friendly and polite. I had very good falafel and hummus and a nice lemonade, which is given as a taster in a small glass to everyone coming in. This place is a blessing, totally different from the other branch on Kecskemeti Utca. There, on the same day, but at lunch time, I had to over 25 minutes for a wrong order plus more 20 minutes for the right one. Beside, people who came after me were being served before. The dish was great, but the customer service experience at Kecskemeti Utca was a complete patience exercise.

Pros: Excellent food, Excellent service, Open till late
MarkSoh
MarkSoh

The Best Hummus Bar in Budapest

4 Posted on 07 / 16 / 2011

Good atmosphere, friendly staff and offers a wide variety of choices. Location is not the best, but still not that difficult to locate.

Kadri
Kadri

Best hummus and falafel ever!

5 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2011

This place has delicious hummus & falafel, definitely recommend it. It's a small place with friendly staff and fast service.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, good value
immaia
immaia

Excelent

5 Posted on 06 / 02 / 2011

I was passing by this street in Budapest and Hummus Bar caught my attention. I was in a hurry but I still crossed the road because I knew this was a veggie place (had seen the name on happy cow beforehand). I just had time to pick up something to take out, so I ordered a Sabih. Wow, it was delicious! The best hummus I had in years! Also, it is a very tinny place but very cozy and I would definitely love to go back to taste more dishes.

Pros: delicious, cheap, nice
jollypig
jollypig

Go there!

5 Posted on 03 / 21 / 2010

I loved this place. OK, so I love hummous. And I'm vegetarian. So it had a good chance with me..

The staff are friendly and served us a free shot of mint tea on arrival. The restaurant is small, more of a cafe really, but has a nice atmosphere.

Then there's the food - wow. Great hummous, felafel, salads etc. I even got a felafal sandwich for lunch the next day and it was incredible. A meal for two, including two takeaway sandwiches for the next day was £14!

We went to the other Hummus Bar (Kertesz) too and it was equally good so go to whichever one is closest.

Enjoy!

Pros: Amazing food, Incredible value, Friendly staff
weevil
weevil

We loved it.

5 Posted on 10 / 02 / 2009

A great little place behind the Parliament - very friendly, menu in English too, great price and choice. We ordered inside then sat down outside and food was brought to the table. More seating upstairs (airconditioned) and a loo too (sans lock). I had Tabbouleh which came with a hardboiled egg and was delicious. Mr Weev had a salad plate of hummus and a glass of fabulous minty lemonade.

sarahsvati
sarahsvati

Perfect hummus and falafels

5 Posted on 10 / 02 / 2009

I ate here twice and was completely thrilled. Needless to say, I love hummus and falafels, and found the quality here to be superb. Try anything here--the pitas, the plates--it's all great.

The price is great. For less than $4, you can get an overstuffed pita.

And by the way, the white sauce is not yogurt; it's a vegan tahini sauce. No problems there.

Pros: Delicious, Cheap, Delicious again!
juniorcm
juniorcm

Best veggie food in Budapest

5 Posted on 07 / 17 / 2009

It's not easy to find "real food" in Budapest. Altough Hummus Bar is not a fully vegetarian restaurant, you can find here lots of veggie and vegan options. The dishes are very generous, so maybe it's a good idea to share it with your travelling partner. The prices are very fair also. Try the falafel with Arab salad!

marnia
marnia

Good

4 Posted on 01 / 13 / 2009

We both had falafel filled Pitta and enjoyed it. The staff kept refilling our free mint tea and service was swift. If you like hummus, falafel and similar this should be good.

Pros: Staff, mint tea, Flavousome
morrowdoug
morrowdoug

You have to eat here

5 Posted on 08 / 09 / 2008

I was in Budapest for 5 days, and I probably ate here 10 times. It was incredible. It's run by a hilarious Israeli guy who brings the best of Israeli cuisine to Budapest: fantastic hummus, falafel, sabir, shakshuka, mint tea, etc. So, so unbelievably cheap and so fantastically delicious.

Pros: delicious, cheap as hell, fantastic staff
Cons: nothing

Dear Owner and Manager of Hummus Bar Vegetarian - Alkotmany: