An elegant oasis escape in the middle of the city. The varied menu includes many raw food dishes and details the health benefits of ingredients used in English. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Vietnamese, Fusion, Raw, Juice bar, Beer/Wine

veganvirtues
  • raw

Hum @ 2 Thi Sach Street D1 and 32 Vo Van Tan D3

Posted on 12 / 27 / 2014

These two are clones and as a much travelled vegan, I was knocked out by the decor, service and the dishes are something to behold. Each we ate were well presented 'nouveau'style. Extensive fresh juice list. As the previous writer commented it is ovo-lacto. But does serve raw and vegan. It is more expensive than Loving Huts and elcheapo buffet 'mock-fake' meats places but your paying for quality and excellent service.

Pros: great raw and vegan selection, ambience and decor, service
littletravelbug
littletravelbug

My first taste of vegan Vietnam

Posted on 09 / 07 / 2014

Eating at Hum Vegetarian was my first taste of vegan food in Vietnam and it did not disappoint. We went for an early lunch and thoroughly enjoyed their crunchy, fresh spring rolls and diep rolls to start, the first time I had tasted spring rolls any other way but fried. I chose the tofu in spicy sauce for my main along with the gingko soup. The spicy sauce was super tasty but the deep-fried tofu was a little bit soggy, the soup was light and refreshing.

The menu details the health benefits of all the foods on offer and the restaurant itself is clean, elegant and a lovely little veggie haven. My English boyfriend and male Kiwi friend, neither who are vegan, also thoroughly enjoyed their food although portion size was a little on the small side for them. The food and drinks are more expensive than other veggie restaurants in the city but it's definitely worth a visit.

On a side note, I wish I had gotten a soya latte whilst there as soya milk has not yet made its way to coffee shops in Vietnam, however, I now have a new love for Vietnamese hot black coffee with its rich, chocolately notes. Do beware of civet coffee, primarily directed at tourists, which is made from the seeds of coffee berries force fed to intensively farmed civets and collected from their waste. PETA Asia did an investigation into the cruelty of civet coffee in 2013 if you want to find out more: http://action.petaasiapacific.com/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=110&ea.campaign.id=22769

Pros: Lots of vegan options , Easy to find, near War Remnants Museum
Cons: Not for budget travellers
Kimxula
Kimxula

Elegant place, good quality food

Posted on 07 / 31 / 2014

I have read many positive things about Hum, so decided to go with my parents when they came to visit HCMC.

Elegant and peaceful place, with good quality food. I like that the juice section of the menu has a description of the health benefits of the different juices. I had a tofu dish with egg, cinnamon and various spices - it was a very interesting combination of flavours and my parents were both satisfied with their meal.

It is perhaps a little pricey, but the quality of the food is good and you are paying for the peaceful atmosphere, too. I was expecting something really spectacular after reading various reviews, and whilst it was good, I didn't think it was phenomenal and there are other places I'd choose in the city over Hum.

I
Updated from previous review on Thursday July 31, 2014

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Extensive menu, High quality food
Cons: A bit pricey

Marina-S
Marina-S

very good restaurant

Posted on 07 / 11 / 2014

We visited both Hum - restaurant at Thi Sach and Cafe at Vo Van near War Museum. Cafe is small but better for service, taste and atmosphere.
Love this place, take fruit smoothies and pineapple fried rice.
Not super, but straight very good.

Pros: location, atmosphere, price
Cons: no have soy milk
MidnightSun112
MidnightSun112

What a gem!

Posted on 05 / 29 / 2014

Hum was wonderful! There are actually 2 branches and we visited the one near the Renaissance Hotel. Large English menu, pictures available, staff will explain any questions. The atmosphere was also lovely; I went here 2 nights in a row. I'm not sure why some reviewers said the portions were small; I live in Asia and found the sizes to be more than sufficient, though I wouldn't call them 'large'. I had curried mushrooms steamed in a coconut, which was amazing! My friend had the pineapple fried rice which was 1 of the best I've ever had. We also tried 1 of the hot pots which was very good, although if you prefer a spicier dish then you may find the taste to be too mild. Definitely worth trying if you're in Ho Chi Minh.

Pros: large, diverse menu, fresh ingredients, helpful staff
Cons: may be sold out of some items
Rob - Bath
Rob - Bath

Seriously good

Posted on 05 / 11 / 2014

This was the best food we had in our entire trip to Vietnam and Cambodia. Interesting menu (with pictures to help you understand the different and original fare on offer), tasty food, gluten free options available, friendly helpful staff and a great atmosphere. They have opened up a second restaurant a short walk from the river-front - where the food is just a good but the atmosphere a bit less so.

evolution
evolution

Nice atmosphere

Posted on 01 / 19 / 2014

This restaurant has a great atmosphere, like that of a trendy restaurant in the US... The food was good, not great. They were out of several things on the menu, including a green salad.

OttVanTor
OttVanTor

A Gem in HCMC

Posted on 11 / 14 / 2013

Excellent restaurant and a little gem. English is fluent among staff and the design and decor is very attractive. The menu is well presented with a wide choice of vegan and vegetarian foods and drinks. Dinner for 2 was about 30 dollars. Would highly recommend this restaurant. ...for couples its romantic.

Pros: Decor, Menu, Staff
veganinvietnam
veganinvietnam

Beautiful place

Posted on 08 / 17 / 2013

The setting and atmosphere at this restaurant is wonderful; a very peaceful oasis right in the heart of the hustle and bustle of the city. The food was delicious - they have a great range and it is decently priced given the beautiful setting. Slightly nervous and over-attentive service, as another reviewer has mentioned, but they were very friendly and accommodating and it did not spoil what was a very enjoyable lunch.

Pros: Delicious food, Great location, Beautiful setting
Cons: Over-attentive service
veganskinhead
veganskinhead

Great restaurant.

Posted on 07 / 17 / 2013

I ended up here because I mistakenly thought it was vegan (Happy Cow was down), but most dishes are vegan, it appears.

As far as Vietnam goes, it isn't the cheapest and the servings are small, but it is fine dining. The staff and friendly and (for my taste, over-)attentive. Service was quick, and the food presented well and very tasty. Will likely go back again.

Pros: Friendly staff, High quality
Cons: Small serves
GPreis
GPreis

This place is beautiful

Posted on 06 / 20 / 2013

Set back from the noisy street, there are 2 lovely wood dining pavilions and an open air patio filled with fountains, statues and art. You immediately know you have found a special place. The menu is large, the food is delicious. We loved the fried spring rolls and the pad thai was excellent. Yes, it is more expensive than typical veg places in HCMC, but the ambiance, presentation and service make it worth a special visit.

Pros: Aesthetically lovely, Delicious, Good central location in District 3
Cons: None, really.
meatisfordummies
meatisfordummies

Good food, too expensive

Posted on 05 / 09 / 2013

Food was good but not worth the extra money. About twice the price of other veg places in the city. Also, NOT VEGAN. Staff speaks little English so a bit difficult to determine what was actually vegan. When the served our vegetables they said they had been cooked in "oyster sauce." When we became very concerned about this they said it was imitation oyster sauce made from soy. We believed them and ate it. Great location, down the block from the War Remnants Museum.

Pros: good location
Cons: not vegan, expensive
Whocindah
Whocindah

Decent Food, Service needs Tweaking

Posted on 05 / 08 / 2013

We had a pad Thai which was pretty good, a little heavy on the egg very small portion. The pineapple fried rice had a nice curry flavour and lovely presentation in a whole pineapple but again small portion. The square fried spring rolls were excellent. I think overall this place looks lovely and the food is good but for the price the service does need a bit of tweaking. The dishes arrived one long after the other. We ordered a lemon juice that I had to ask for twice. It didn't arrive until we had finished the meal. It was far too sweet so I sent it back with apologies. When the new one arrived it was just as sweet and i couldn't drink it. Because we had already finished our meal I didn't want them to bother with trying to fix it again. I asked them to remove it from the bill which they did without a hassle.

Pros: lovely atmosphere, good presentation
Cons: small portions , a bit pricey
ArtinHeaven
ArtinHeaven

Peaceful Oasis in the Heart of Saigon

Posted on 03 / 31 / 2013

We were delighted to find Hum restaurant - after a couple of false starts, in Ho Chi Mingh City, trying to find other vegetarian restaurants (which had unfortunately closed down). It is an absolute oasis in the middle of this hot and bustling city - hidden just a few doors along from the popular War Museum (there's a sign in English on the wall outside).

The setting is cool, leafy and tranquil and the food is out of this world - we had delicious chilled juices with our lunch of fresh Vietnamese Spring Rolls, Spicy Tofu and rice and we were hardly finished our meal before we were planning to return to try out the rest of the menu.

Over the four days we were in Saigon, we returned every day to try different dishes and can report that everything we tried was outstanding: red curry, mushroom salad, papaya salad, mango with sticky rice. We can recommend the tasty cocktails too.

The restaurant clearly aims to be a fine dining experience, but seemed to us to be very good value for the standard of the food - portions are not huge, but reasonably sized - especially compared to some other more run-of-the-mill restaurants we tried (eg similarly priced to canteen-style restaurant Ngoc Linh). (NB I notice that the prices were considerably cheaper than a previous reviewer noted - perhaps the management has revised the menu?)

We can definitely recommend seeking out Hum restaurant, if you are visiting Saigon.

Pros: Delicious flavors, beautifully presented, Attentive, friendly service, Tranquil, comfortable setting
Cons: Smoking area in garden - avoid!
ShiraM
ShiraM

Great little veg place!

Posted on 01 / 31 / 2013

I loved this restaurant. It is right by the War Remnants museum, but it feels a world away. It is a bit pricier than most other veg places in the city (avg. 80,000VND per entree), but still a bargain. The portions are not huge, but every entree I tasted was amazing and beautifully presented. It is in a garden setting, extremely peaceful.

Pros: Great Food, Great setting, Location
Cons: prices

Dear Owner and Manager of Hum Vegetarian: