Mostly vegetarian/vegan Chinese cuisine with some Indian dishes. Previously vegan-friendly, now 100% vegan. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Chinese, Indian, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by Oinkrabbit
veganskinhead
veganskinhead

Decent place to eat.

4 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2014

I stumbled upon the place by chance, having wandered down from the top of Le Pouce (the local mountain) via the forest path and was excited that I'd found a place that nobody else had. I wasn't right on this front, but it was a fortuitous discovery.

It was very busy when I arrived, so I had to queue for about ten minutes to be served. Once I was, I relied on pointing at another customer's food as it was the first place I've come across in Mauritius hat nobody speaks a single word of English (the menu is, but I wanted exactly what somebody else had, which was a customised dish).

Food was basic Chinese-influenced, but it is all vegan (handy when communication is a challenge!). It's also stupidly cheap - under USD4 for what I had.

I'd happily go back again.

Pros: Decent food, Very cheap, The chili pots
Cons: Can be very busy
Oinkrabbit
Oinkrabbit

Humble and delicious chinese food

5 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2013

Situated in a small lane off St Denis Rue, the cafe is so inconspicuous that even the cab driver couldn't locate it at first even after calling the cafe. So it's wise to get a cab driver to bring you there. But it was worth the search.

Not knowing what to expect, we decided to order something small ie a one person portion of soup with a mixture of veg siew mai (steamed dumplings),stuffed tofu and veg balls and some tomato ketchup on top. Wow! We were hooked! The soup was flavorful and the ingredients were delicious! We have not eaten such yummy veg food in Singapore yet. The combination was fantastic! The prices were very cheap and value for money. So we decided to order more of siew mai, tofu, veg balls, fried rolls and fried mee as takeaways for our dinner that night back at the hotel. And save on an expensive dinner at the hotel.

The fried rolls were crispy and packed with veggies but sinful which applied to all fried foods :-)

Fried mee was packed to the max in a styrofoam box so you can imagine how big the portion is. Lots of wok hei flavor inside, if you enjoy chinese stir-frying.

Pros: Delicious, Cheap, value for money, friendly staff
Cons: hard to find location, Staff doesn't know how to speak English

Dear Owner and Manager of Huai De Vegetarian Snack: