Reported all-veg by owner April 2015. Mezze-based menu plus juices and smoothies, pastries, raw vegan desserts, non-dairy milks. This cafe and galeria features rooftop with sea view in the centre of Cascais, up a multiple flights of steep stairs. Free Wi-Fi. Also sells hand-crafted goods and furniture. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, Mediterranean, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Arabic, Moroccan, Portuguese
Largo de Misericordia 53
Cascais, Portugal 2750
+351-911702428
Now Open

Mon-Sun 9:00am-11:00pm

First Review by Greysocialist
Selenajoy
Selenajoy

Mezze and a rooftop terrace with rum juices

Posted on 11 / 28 / 2015

We came a cross this by accident when visiting Cascais for the day. I had a vegan mezze plate, plus some lovely homemade bread sticks and my omni partner had a cheese plate. We both had a seasonal juice, which contained sharon fruit, and had it laced with some really strong rum. The roof terrace gets sun until about 5pm in November, and there are lovely views across the rooftops. The pallet seating is decorated with comfortable cushions, and there are blankets freely available should you get cold. When the weather is cooler, you can sit inside on one of the other 2 floors, where you will feel a part of the family, and can play one of the board/card games or read books. You will feel really welcome here, and the staff are knowledgeable about their food.

Pros: Great vibe, Lovely sunny roof terrace
Ajolote
Ajolote

very tasty, but expensive

Posted on 10 / 21 / 2015

This place is a few steps away from the information booth downtown near the beach.

It has a salad buffet (mezze) and hot dishes as well as a veggie burger and dessert.

You can choose a small or large plate of salads (not all of them are vegan as they have animal cheese on top) and can also order the hot dish of the day - today they had mussaka, which can be made vegan.

Everything was tasty, but pretty expensive for Portugal. The small salad plate is €7.95, but you can only go to the buffet once. the large one is €14.75.

Everything has olive oil. Everything!

Pros: location, taste, fast service
Cons: expensive, oily
dlachica
dlachica

House of Wonders, Unipessoal

Posted on 09 / 07 / 2015

They also have a restaurant under the same name- House of Wonders. Which is below the cafe. We enjoyed coffee and vegan dessert at the cafe, because we had already had lunch. The rooftop terrace view is of the city rooftops, but was very comfortable and relaxing. Some shade available in the "lounge" area. We found shade to be a comfortable temperature, while the sunny areas to be HOT! Friendly and knowledgable staff.
Updated from previous review on Sunday September 06, 2015

We went back for dinner at the restaurant. We didn't make a reservation and was glad we went early. They were turning people away the whole time we were there. Food was great. Because we are vegan, we couldn't eat the hot foods. So, our option was to get the one time trip to the buffet. There were only two items which weren't vegan. The downside was, because we could only do one trip, I loaded up my plate because I didn't know what I would like. I ended up leaving food on the plate, which I hate to waste food. When we said something to our server, he said they try to encourage people not to take too much and go back- but only if they do the hot and cold options. Still doesn't make sense to me why we were given the only one trip option. Can't remember if our cost was different.
The temperature was great and we sat just inside the entry enjoying the outdoor/indoor feel. There was a breeze and sitting at an outdoor table would have required warmer clothes than I had with me. We were struggling to find vegan food in Cascais and were so grateful to find both the cafe and restaurant. One of our best food experiences in Portugal.

Pros: Casual atmosphere, Great place for lunch, dessert and coffee, Good food
Cons: Non dairy milks may not be available, Only offer plates. Ala carte not available.

JuliaFriday
JuliaFriday
  • non-vegetarian

very nice

Posted on 08 / 29 / 2015

Lovely rooftop cafe with fresh juices and vegetarian places

Sinili
Sinili

very delicious!

Posted on 07 / 17 / 2015

nice vegetarian Restaurant, Buffet is mostly vegan, taste very good!

nafanc
nafanc

Great veggie food in Cascais

Posted on 06 / 13 / 2015

My partner got a sweet potato + hen of the woods dish that she continues to crave to this day. I got the buffet so that I could try different things. All the vegan food was amazing. We liked it so much that we tried to go back for a second day in a row, and our only regret is that they were closed for a private party. Hope to dine there again next time.

Pros: lots of option, fresh
cyberlp23
cyberlp23

A heaven for the weary traveller

Posted on 04 / 14 / 2015

What strikes the new incomer at HoW is the quality of the vibes. The place is a both quiet & trendy café to sit back & relax while drinking a 'bica' or eating some tasty vegan cake.
The staff is nice & helpful.
But the best thing is the 3rd floor terrace, richly decorated with coloured cushions and a 360° view on the city.
You won't find real dishes there, except for salads/mezzes, but the snacks & pastries are a real treat.
The only drawback: it's a little pricey for Portugal (espresso around 1 euro & ckaes from 2.5 to 3.7 euro a piece).
Updated from previous review on Tuesday April 14, 2015

Pros: vibes, terrace, cakes
Cons: price
Guest
Guest

Lovely Decoration and food

Posted on 01 / 07 / 2015

I Went there a coulple of days ago and was very positively surprised. It's as far as I know the only restaurant in this location offering plenty of vegan options. I was presented with a buffet of pastas, baba ganoush, hummus, several salads, pastries and cakes. Most things are vegetarian, but there were many options for me as a vegan. They are not marked but the staff is friendly so just ask.

Small plate €6.95 Big plate around €10. It comes served with bread. I was told there is also regularly one raw vegan cake as a dessert but I didn't tasted it. They also offer soups, smoothies and other dishes.

Note that they have two locations. Their main one is at the Largo da Misericordia 53 close to a church, where you'll find distributed over 3 floors, a gallery selling objects and jewellery, then the restaurant and on the top floor a terrace overlooking the bay. I would definitely recommend this one. The other one its a more regular restaurant located in another street nearby.

Updated from previous review on Wednesday January 07, 2015

Pros: Plenty of vegan options, decoration, interiors, location., friendly staff
Cons: vegan dishes are not marked. , vegan options are mostly cold food.
Sapato Verde
Sapato Verde

A real Wonder

Posted on 09 / 08 / 2014

Love the decoration, love the food, love the concept!

Pros: excelent variety, nice ambience, has vegan options
NataliaTerlecka
NataliaTerlecka

A perfect place for any time of the day!

Posted on 08 / 11 / 2014

I visited the place twice in August 2014 and was simply stunned with what I found there. The place consists of two individual bars - one is the roof cafe and the other full meal restaurant. On the first visit we tried sunny roof terrace with wonderful selection of fresh juices and smoothies. We wanted to eat as well so we ordered some salads, it was no problem at all to get something vegan here. The salad was fresh and one of the best I ever had and it arriver in no time - 5 mins - seriously! :-) We also tried mixed juice and it was delicious.
On the other day we got into the restaurant part and it was no different. The staff is really friendly and food is delicious. They're serving the food in mezze way so for a fixed price you can fill your plate with whatever you want from te selection of around 10 different dishes (many vegan options as here well). Or you can also order some hot dishes that are different every day. We took 1 full plate of mixed salads, pastas and other goodness and 1 eggplant mussaka. All the dishes was perfect - well seasoned and simple delish :-)
I recommend this place to everyone - it's a must when you're in cascais :-)

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly, helpfull staff, Quic service !
Cons: None :-)
FrancoisLenoir
FrancoisLenoir

Totaly Veggie

Posted on 06 / 12 / 2014

Apres 10 jours de voyage au Portugal, nous avons trouvé cet excellent restaurant végétarien. Les plats sont parfaitement épicés, le vin délicieux, le service impeccable.

Difficile pour un végétarien d'apprecier la gastronomie portugaise. C'est chose faite ici. Je recommande vivement ! House of wonders arrive directement dans mon top 5 mondial ^^

siljebergen
siljebergen

Brilliant place, highly recommended

Posted on 06 / 05 / 2014

I try to live as vegan as possible, but believe me it is not always easy and in Portugal it is a big meat-culture. When on top of this, I am allergic to gluten, it's even difficult to be vegan in the most vegan places (seitan and breads..). When we were going to Cascais, I went to happycow.com and found this restaurant, figured I would give it a try. Boy am I glad I did!! They were happy to accomodate my vegan and gluten free wishes, and I ate the best salad I have in years. Funny, I am the vegan who doesn't like salads - but this is not your normal definition of salads. Their chef is Syrian, and they know their Hoummus! I went here 2 days in a row, sat on the upper terrace and drank freshly juiced juice and ate myself full on their lovely dishes. There is a restaurant downstairs in the street, this cafe that I went to is upstairs in the same building. It's the same food and people working there. Absolutely a great place, laid back atmosphere, nothing is rushed and everyone is.. happy :-) Like veg*anism should be! Expect to pay about 15 euro per person, with a big lunch and a freshly squeezed juice. It's no wonder that even though this is a vegetarian restaurant, it is listed as number 4 out of 260 restaurants in Cascais on Tripadvisor.

Pros: Veganfriendly, Glutenfree options available, Locally produced, organic
Cons: Small staff, you need time to wait
Greysocialist
Greysocialist

fresh, seasonal, local, organic - and a sea view

Posted on 03 / 18 / 2014

If you can manage the multiple flights of stairs, you can enjoy delicious fresh food presented almost as art work on the plate. We were delighted to find the House of Wonders in the centre of the pedestrian area of Cascais. Anna, the owner, made us welcome. She offered us the dishes of the day, and then served them with different accompaniments to suit our tastes. We heard how she customised each person's lunch, and how many were locals coming back for fresh juices, coffee, or food. The roof terrace gives a view of the sea and many rooftops. This is a quirky place with interesting furniture and imaginative food. Oh, and Anna speaks lots of languages!

Pros: fresh and varied food, food customised to your taste, friendly staff
Cons: steep stairs! (but the view is worth it)

Dear Owner and Manager of House of Wonders: