Reported all-veg by owner April 2015. Mezze-based menu plus juices and smoothies, pastries, raw vegan desserts, non-dairy milks. Let the owner know what you'd like more. This cafe and galeria features rooftop with sea view in the centre of Cascais, up a multiple flights of steep stairs. Free Wi-Fi. Also sells hand-crafted goods and furniture. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, Arabic, Moroccan, Mediterranean, Portugese, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out
Largo de Misericordia 53

nafanc
nafanc

Great veggie food in Cascais

Posted on 06 / 13 / 2015

My partner got a sweet potato + hen of the woods dish that she continues to crave to this day. I got the buffet so that I could try different things. All the vegan food was amazing. We liked it so much that we tried to go back for a second day in a row, and our only regret is that they were closed for a private party. Hope to dine there again next time.

Pros: lots of option, fresh
cyberlp23
cyberlp23

A heaven for the weary traveller

Posted on 04 / 14 / 2015

What strikes the new incomer at HoW is the quality of the vibes. The place is a both quiet & trendy café to sit back & relax while drinking a 'bica' or eating some tasty vegan cake.
The staff is nice & helpful.
But the best thing is the 3rd floor terrace, richly decorated with coloured cushions and a 360° view on the city.
You won't find real dishes there, except for salads/mezzes, but the snacks & pastries are a real treat.
The only drawback: it's a little pricey for Portugal (espresso around 1 euro & ckaes from 2.5 to 3.7 euro a piece).
Updated from previous review on Tuesday April 14, 2015

Pros: vibes, terrace, cakes
Cons: price
Joa
Joa

Lovely Decoration and food

Posted on 01 / 07 / 2015

I Went there a coulple of days ago and was very positively surprised. It's as far as I know the only restaurant in this location offering plenty of vegan options. I was presented with a buffet of pastas, baba ganoush, hummus, several salads, pastries and cakes. Most things are vegetarian, but there were many options for me as a vegan. They are not marked but the staff is friendly so just ask.

Small plate €6.95 Big plate around €10. It comes served with bread. I was told there is also regularly one raw vegan cake as a dessert but I didn't tasted it. They also offer soups, smoothies and other dishes.

Note that they have two locations. Their main one is at the Largo da Misericordia 53 close to a church, where you'll find distributed over 3 floors, a gallery selling objects and jewellery, then the restaurant and on the top floor a terrace overlooking the bay. I would definitely recommend this one. The other one its a more regular restaurant located in another street nearby.

Updated from previous review on Wednesday January 07, 2015

Pros: Plenty of vegan options, decoration, interiors, location., friendly staff
Cons: vegan dishes are not marked. , vegan options are mostly cold food.

Sapato Verde
Sapato Verde

A real Wonder

Posted on 09 / 08 / 2014

Love the decoration, love the food, love the concept!

Pros: excelent variety, nice ambience, has vegan options
NataliaTerlecka
NataliaTerlecka

A perfect place for any time of the day!

Posted on 08 / 11 / 2014

I visited the place twice in August 2014 and was simply stunned with what I found there. The place consists of two individual bars - one is the roof cafe and the other full meal restaurant. On the first visit we tried sunny roof terrace with wonderful selection of fresh juices and smoothies. We wanted to eat as well so we ordered some salads, it was no problem at all to get something vegan here. The salad was fresh and one of the best I ever had and it arriver in no time - 5 mins - seriously! :-) We also tried mixed juice and it was delicious.
On the other day we got into the restaurant part and it was no different. The staff is really friendly and food is delicious. They're serving the food in mezze way so for a fixed price you can fill your plate with whatever you want from te selection of around 10 different dishes (many vegan options as here well). Or you can also order some hot dishes that are different every day. We took 1 full plate of mixed salads, pastas and other goodness and 1 eggplant mussaka. All the dishes was perfect - well seasoned and simple delish :-)
I recommend this place to everyone - it's a must when you're in cascais :-)

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly, helpfull staff, Quic service !
Cons: None :-)
FrancoisLenoir
FrancoisLenoir

Totaly Veggie

Posted on 06 / 12 / 2014

Apres 10 jours de voyage au Portugal, nous avons trouvé cet excellent restaurant végétarien. Les plats sont parfaitement épicés, le vin délicieux, le service impeccable.

Difficile pour un végétarien d'apprecier la gastronomie portugaise. C'est chose faite ici. Je recommande vivement ! House of wonders arrive directement dans mon top 5 mondial ^^

siljebergen
siljebergen

Brilliant place, highly recommended

Posted on 06 / 05 / 2014

I try to live as vegan as possible, but believe me it is not always easy and in Portugal it is a big meat-culture. When on top of this, I am allergic to gluten, it's even difficult to be vegan in the most vegan places (seitan and breads..). When we were going to Cascais, I went to happycow.com and found this restaurant, figured I would give it a try. Boy am I glad I did!! They were happy to accomodate my vegan and gluten free wishes, and I ate the best salad I have in years. Funny, I am the vegan who doesn't like salads - but this is not your normal definition of salads. Their chef is Syrian, and they know their Hoummus! I went here 2 days in a row, sat on the upper terrace and drank freshly juiced juice and ate myself full on their lovely dishes. There is a restaurant downstairs in the street, this cafe that I went to is upstairs in the same building. It's the same food and people working there. Absolutely a great place, laid back atmosphere, nothing is rushed and everyone is.. happy :-) Like veg*anism should be! Expect to pay about 15 euro per person, with a big lunch and a freshly squeezed juice. It's no wonder that even though this is a vegetarian restaurant, it is listed as number 4 out of 260 restaurants in Cascais on Tripadvisor.

Pros: Veganfriendly, Glutenfree options available, Locally produced, organic
Cons: Small staff, you need time to wait
Greysocialist
Greysocialist

fresh, seasonal, local, organic - and a sea view

Posted on 03 / 18 / 2014

If you can manage the multiple flights of stairs, you can enjoy delicious fresh food presented almost as art work on the plate. We were delighted to find the House of Wonders in the centre of the pedestrian area of Cascais. Anna, the owner, made us welcome. She offered us the dishes of the day, and then served them with different accompaniments to suit our tastes. We heard how she customised each person's lunch, and how many were locals coming back for fresh juices, coffee, or food. The roof terrace gives a view of the sea and many rooftops. This is a quirky place with interesting furniture and imaginative food. Oh, and Anna speaks lots of languages!

Pros: fresh and varied food, food customised to your taste, friendly staff
Cons: steep stairs! (but the view is worth it)

Dear Owner and Manager of House of Wonders: