House of Vegetarian

Small place with an extensive menu of soups, appetizers, dumplings, noodle, rice, mock meat, and vegetable dishes. Over 200 items; seemingly all vegan. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Take-out

First Review by A.Z.P.

not good

2 Posted on 07 / 09 / 2014

the food was bad. service too. cash only.
if you like guessing at a huge menu and being yelled at when you ask reasonable questions, this place may be for you.

nothing was very good, it all just kind of 'was'.

Cons: greasy, staff, cash only

blah

2 Posted on 12 / 15 / 2012

If you're looking for good faux meat, go somewhere else! We ordered a variety of meats, and they were all squishy and hard to choke down. The beef was the only exception...just stay away from everything else!

Pros: large portions
Cons: squishy "meats", everything tastes fishy

Excellent choice for a vegetarian meal

5 Posted on 04 / 22 / 2012

This is a small, unpretentious place with tasty and decent food. The extensive menu has many possibilities. The staff was very accommodating; I wanted a low salt meal, they said they would put the sauce on the side. This worked perfectly. The portions were very large. Overall I would come here again - food was good, service helpful and fast. Atmosphere is down to earth.

Pros: excellent food, helpful, friendly staff, big portions

Highly disappointing

2 Posted on 01 / 05 / 2012

I'm vegan, and I have often eaten noodles and dumpling dishes in Chinatown. I wanted to try this all vegetarian restaurant, but was really disappointed by the lack of originality and flavor of the dishes. In addition, they had shark fin soup listed on the menu!!! Even though I was assured it was not meat, it still really bothered me to see it. The meal was way too expensive for what it was, and the service was lacking. Overall, I would rather go to a non-vegetarian restaurant than go to this one.

Pros: All vegetarian
Cons: Lacks flavor, Bad atmosphere, Shark fin listed!

Chinatown mainstay

3 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2011

The food here is pretty tasty, if not over healthy, and the portions are big and service is fast. The decor is not fancy by any means. When on jury duty, I have eaten here for lunch on a number of occasions (it is near the courthouses), and found it more than satisfactory.

Pros: good price, good food , good portions
Cons: not great food, bare bones decor, not particularly healthy

Huge portions, but you get what you pay for

3 Posted on 05 / 08 / 2011

I was a bit underwhelmed by this place. Staff were friendly and the service was lightening fast. But in my opinion the portions sizes and ridiculously cheap prices don't make up for the mediocre quality of the food. I ordered one of the "house specials", and was disappointed.

Pros: Huge portions, Nice staff
Cons: Food not great tasting, Not licensed, Greasy

Lot's of selections, OK food

3 Posted on 12 / 14 / 2008

This place certainly has a large selection of vegetarian dishes. The food was OK and the price was reasonable. If you need a quick take out and you want 100% vegetarian restaurant, you could grab a quick bite here.

Pros: Large selection, fast, cheap
Cons: OK food

Student friendly

4 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2008

I really liked House of Vegetarian, it is down to earth, cheap, huge portions and there are lots to choose from on the menu. I had spring rolls and fried noodles with vegetables, which was very good.
We never actually talked to the staff, but we were served tea (free) and water, when we came in and the service was quick.
The place has no atmosphere, but that doesn't matter since we both thoroughly enjoyed our meal and we would definitely come back.

Pros: good value
Cons: atmosphere

Acceptable

3 Posted on 06 / 13 / 2008

The food is generally authentically Chinese, a bit oily, but it was still acceptable. The service is fast, but the waitress wasn't very friendly though.

Pros: Price, Location
Cons: Service

worst meal of my life

2 Posted on 02 / 10 / 2008

I've eaten at literally dozens of Chinese vegetarian restaurants and this meal was the worst I've had at ANY type of restaurant EVER. Rude waitress slapped down some of the nastiest vegan food I've ever had. One earlier re viewer's comment about them giving "no thought to presentation" was a gross understatement. This food was an inedible pile of thawed frozen carrots and peas in corn-starchy glutinous sauce. I guess it's possible that the chef was out with a last-minute family emergency and they couldn't find anyone to fill in for him...but beware!

Cons: terrible food, rude service, it still costs money!

The plain and simple king

5 Posted on 01 / 31 / 2008

House of vegetarian is by no means a fancy establishment. It is small, simple and generally quiet. It is also the best vegetarian Chinese food in New York. The Iron Steak is absolutely tantalizingly good in texture and sauce. For an appetizer i very strongly recommend a mix of the Hot Steak Kew, curry and sweet and sour glutens (a chinatown specialty). The portions here are enormous. When you order the spicy tofu the amount of tofu, vegetables and sauce you get is incredible. The prices are fair with entrees starting at 7 dollars. Ive eaten on and off here for about 15 years and I've never found the service here particularly friendly. House of Vegetarian is not a romantic or exotic place to eat, It is a clean quiet little restaurant in chinatown that doesnt attempt to provide atmosphere and gives little to no thought on presentation. House of Vegetarian instead concentrates on the quality of its food which is unsurpassed, which is why for the tastiest, most delicious and authentic Vegetarian Chinese meal in New york you have to go to House of Vegetarian.

Pros: Best Vege Chinese today PERIOD, Very large portions, Good value
Cons: No weekday lunch special, Lacking atmosphere, NO Kosher supervision

Dear Owner and Manager of House of Vegetarian: