Offers inexpensive chaat snacks and dosas alongside a menu of curries, rice dishes, and other mains. South Indian cuisine, established 1999. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Indian, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by OneChubbyVegan
Vegan Goddess
Vegan Goddess

Liarsdo Not Eat Here

2 Posted on 03 / 04 / 2014

They lied about the rice being vegan. I specifically asked about butter and ghee several times and on my approximate 3rd visit there was a new employee who said it did have ghee which is not what they said in the past. I asked for a manager who confirmed it and i complained about the prior lies and he said it was only a little. Were i allergic i'd be dead. But they only care about getting your money. We need to stick together and stop this type of fraud against us. Very very sad. 5 min. Away is dosa diner who don't lie. I suggest eating there.

Cons: Lie, Fraud
AnnaKatsigiorgis
AnnaKatsigiorgis

Really liked this place

5 Posted on 11 / 20 / 2013

I went here with a friend on a whim and was so happy I did. I ordered aloo matar which is potatoes and peas in tomato sauce. It was deee-licious! This place is a gem.

woobah goobah
woobah goobah

Surprised

5 Posted on 11 / 12 / 2011

Found this place on the Happy Cow Android App. It was dark outside, and the neighborhood looked a little rough. Decided to go in, and I'm glad I did. Never had a Dosas before... In fact didn't even know what to order. The waiter helped me choose by asking what I liked,If I was a vegetarian, how Hot (spicy) I liked my food.
I ordered what he suggested and was very pleased.

I will eat here every time I return to Long Island...

Pros: Healthy, Friendly Staff

bob r
bob r

Great food, Great price, Great service

5 Posted on 11 / 27 / 2010

My wife, son and I have been eating here for several years. We recommend it highly. BTW, the comment below about the police car was a fluke. The area is fine.

SnowQueen690
SnowQueen690

Bad area

3 Posted on 03 / 13 / 2010

I wouldn't suggest here, the area seems to be pretty iffy. After we had our so so dinner, my son and I walked out to something going down, 4 cop cars and an ambulance and the cops were searching a car parked right next to the restaurant. I left the area very quickly with doors locked!

The only good was the staff was very friendly. But the food wasn't very good. If you don't like cilantro, like me, then you won't like the "spices" and pretty much everything on the menu is spicy.

Pros: friendly staff
Cons: lousy food, bad area
vegbride
vegbride

Watch out for the Spice!

4 Posted on 10 / 22 / 2007

Before our recent house hunting trip to Long Island, My fiancee' and I had researched vegetarian or veg-friendly restaurants and came across the House of Dosas. We were eager to try this restaurant and were excited that it was totally vegetarian. We ordered a somosa appetizer and then individual dosas. The portions are huge and do beware of that little 'spicy' notation on the menu - they do mean spicy! The decor is fairly minimal, but the staff was attentive, the food was tasty, and the portions were huge - go there prepared to eat!

Pros: Large Portions, Tasty , Easy to Find
OneChubbyVegan
OneChubbyVegan

Excellent food, excellent service!

5 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2007

My husband and I are vegan. We both grew up on Long Island, and then moved to Florida for 2 years. We just moved back to Long Island this week, and since being newly vegan (under 1 year) we wanted to try some authentic ethnic vegan food. Hicksville is a wonderful place to get authentic Indian food, and House of Dosas is no exception. The waiter was wonderful. He explained what was in everything, and never had to even write down that we do not take dairy. The Aloo Bonda (lentil dumpling w/ onion and potato) appetizer was big enough for 2 people (at only $3.95), and absolutely wonderfully flavored. My husband had the Mysore Masala Dosa (spicy crepe with onion and potato)and it was an extremely large portion for only $6.50. I had the Eggplant Curry (which has the same sauce/flavoring as Aloo Mattar but with eggplant instead of the potatoes and peas) and it came with a good portion of jasmine rice. It was excellent for $6.95. After dinner we had hot Indian tea and some lychee fruit. The decor of the restaurant really doesn't matter... from what I remember (I grew up in Hicksville) the restaurant used to be a Chinese food place or a pizza place. There isn't much you can do with that. And with the service and food, you don't need to. If you want a fancy Indian restaurant, there are plenty of others on Long Island. We had a 3-course meal for $28, and that doesn't happen with vegan and vegetarian food very often!

Pros: Good portions, Informative waitstaff, 100% vegetarian

Dear Owner and Manager of House of Dosas: