Latin-inspired takeout food in Kensington Market. Everything vegan and made in-house including tacos, burritos, limeade. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Mexican, American, Fast food, Take-out
160 Baldwin St Unit 1 (Spadina Ave)
Toronto, Ontario M5T 3K7

Ohkamp
Ohkamp

Two must haves

5 Posted on 02 / 15 / 2014

Ask for a half jackfruit half black bean burrito and you won't be disappointed. The next time you go, try to land a Mac N Cheese burrito. Amazing.

Pros: cheap, filling
Cons: not a ton of options
Zo
Zo

Bean Burrito

5 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2013

Black Burrito for me please!!! Always hits the spot.

Pros: Portion, Price, Taste
sglcklch
sglcklch

A solid place

4 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2013

Popped in to have a quick bite after browsing through Kensington Market. I ordered two tacos, one lentils one jackfruit, with a side of rice and black beans (included in price). Both had great flavors and were delicious (the habanero hot sauce is a must!), but I liked the lentils slightly better. Portion was generous and service was fast. The only thing I would pick on my food would be the untoasted tortillas; toasting them changes the whole game!

Really, everything was right except for one: the guy behind the counter (owner, staff, or?) was a little cold and didn't seem to want to be there at all... But that's alright because you won't have to interact with him too much other than placing your order. I hope he knows that the food he serves is great and is loved by so many so he'll cheer up a bit :)

Pros: great food, fast service
Cons: cold staff
maulydaft
maulydaft

Good Eatin

5 Posted on 06 / 12 / 2013

Really ingenious. Nothing like this in the city. Jackfruit tacos are to die for. They changed the setien so it goes down much easier now :) Everything I've eaten I've liked or loved. The donuts are the best vegan donuts I've had from anywhere. (They are up to par with Mighty - O!) They don't have the donuts anymore but go next door to Sadie's and they have some :)
My only wish is that they offered some veggies or something. I always feel like I'm eating somewhat unhealthy meals there...
Updated from previous review on Thursday July 28, 2011

Pros: they spent time on these recipes!, great location, limeade?
Cons: I need some greens or something
  • Hot Beans Hot Beans

Thanks for the kind words! Just an update though, we don't have donuts anymore.

CourtneyM
CourtneyM

yeah hot beans!!!

5 Posted on 05 / 24 / 2013

I love hot beans, so tasty. My favourite thing to get here is the tacos. FYI, you get two tacos and they don't have to be the same thing. I like to get one of the jackfruit and one lentil. I really like the jackfruit personally, but its not to everyone's taste (pretty sweet and tangy). Also, you can usually get some tasty baked goods here like Vegan butter tarts, but they are sometimes sold out.

Pros: fast, tasty

Teknotribes
Teknotribes

hot burrito

4 Posted on 04 / 05 / 2013

Not the absolute best burrito in the city but VERY tasty, very unique and very vegan. The tvp burrito is my fav but you have to be in the mood for about 2 pounds of tvp and sauce. If you ARE in the mood, then get on it!

Pros: tasty, unique, good atmosphere
Cons: portion a little too big, slightly prickly staff
saveur
saveur

Delicious burritos

5 Posted on 03 / 24 / 2013

I wish I had come here earlier, it is really good. They have a secret menu which mixes up some of the offerings, but it basically sounds like you can mix up any of the fillings to make a custom made burrito/taco/bowl. I really liked the ancho TVP (so similar to pork, omg) and peanut miso sauce in a burrito bowl. I heard the jackfruit was really good, but have yet to try it myself. I don't think they still have the donuts. Maybe they are seasonal?

I think this would be even better if there were more vegetables!

Pros: flavourful, healthy (mostly), fast
Cons: more veg, please, cash only, only open until 8:30pm
yvettexo
yvettexo

Put Some Vegan Nachos in my Face!

5 Posted on 02 / 01 / 2013

Everything at Hot Beans is delicious. I appreciate that everything is made with love and care....it makes such a difference.

I return for the nachos ($9), which are loaded with cheesy, beany, guac-y goodness. They are hot, filling, and filled with flavour explosions. You will not be disappointed!

Pros: Flavourful, vegan Mexican fast food, Fast service, Good value
Cons: Very small place, best for take-away
cc14cows
cc14cows

Great Mexican food

4 Posted on 09 / 18 / 2012

The food here is carefully prepared and very tasty. I had a taco that was full to bursting and some tasty chips. My husband enjoyed his food as well, although he felt it was expensive for what was essentially a sandwich, albeit with interesting ingredients. There is a small space in which you can sit and eat, but the food is really made for take-out.

Pros: Delicious, Good-sized portions
Cons: Pricey, Not much space to sit
veg.dan
veg.dan

Best tacos and burritos

5 Posted on 07 / 01 / 2012

A friend of mine works here and I was visiting Toronto. Popped my head in and had a jackfruit taco and a bean burrito and they were great. Hit the spot, much better than the non-burrito place around the corner. And I'm not being bias, they are good. Ask for brad!

Pros: Value, Quality, Staff
gabynbrad
gabynbrad

Fast food made with love

4 Posted on 07 / 17 / 2011

This is a great place situated in the heart of Kensington Market. Ordered the seitan burrito (HUGE!), black bean burrito and the tacos. Everything was phenomenal and I totally recommend this place. The staff was ultra friendly and the place super clean. We'll be back!

Pros: Very good, Fast, friendly staff
oneoh1
oneoh1

Yummy

5 Posted on 07 / 04 / 2011

I found the Server to be very helpful, explained what each item on the meun was. Really awesome stuff, well cooked, nice and spicey, lovely texture and its all vegan. I love all-vegan places. No guesswork, which I really appreciate. Awesome neighbourhood too, right in Kensington market. Doesn't get any better. I'll have to try the donuts next time, I didn't notice them until I read one of the reviews for this place. I give it 5 Cows out of 5

Pros: friendly help, great neighbourhood, great tasting
RobynLewis
RobynLewis

Love this place!!!

5 Posted on 06 / 27 / 2011

This is an EXCELLENT place to eat!!! Everything is vegan and everyone I take there has a great meal!! The nachos in particular are delicious. They give large portions (so make sure to be hungry!) and the prices are not too bad. You can either sit there and eat, or leave (it's take out). The staff is very friendly and it doesn't take long for them to make the food. I have been there about half a dozen times now, and I go everytime I am in kensington market.
Very very delicious, so try it!!

Pros: great food, vegan, friendly staff
Stephanie NC
Stephanie NC

Delicious and quick

5 Posted on 05 / 29 / 2011

I love Hot Beans. The coleslaw is the best I've ever had. The tacos were pretty good, but it was the bean burrito that knocked my socks off. Delicious, filling, healthy, spicy and flavourful. I will be there often. Haven't tried the donuts yet but I will.

Pros: quick, delicious, amazing coleslaw
VeganJellyBean
VeganJellyBean

Delicious!

5 Posted on 04 / 25 / 2011

'Bout time Toronto got it's junky food fix - Vegan Style! The burritos are huge and tasty and I would definitely recommend the creamy coleslaw on the side for the tacos. The donuts are awesome so be sure to grab one before you leave! Hot Beans rocks!

Pros: big servings, friendly staff, ALL VEGAN
Cons: late dinner = sold out donuts :(
jazzyjane
jazzyjane

so disappointed

2 Posted on 04 / 13 / 2011

i went to hot beans with high hopes! i've had vegan food around the globe (including in portland, OR). i was not impressed with the service here (2/3 owners are unfriendly) OR the food (with the exception of the donuts which are amazing). the jackfruit tacos are not cooked right - they need to be more separated. the seitan was hard to chew -- dry and not tasty at all. the plaintain was cold and dry and also hard to chew! not fresh. the tacos fall apart instantly -- they don't stay together. the beans are way overspiced for even a spicy food fan (full of spice but no flavour). there was also a short hair on the outside of my burrito when i unwrapped it. not cool. overall, i find the food bland OR overspiced, definitely dry, expensive for what it is. [edited by staff]

Pros: vegan, yummy donuts, nice decor
Cons: mediocre, lukewarm, not open to feedback from customers
  • jazzyjane jazzyjane

Well, you mentioned the salsa and I mentioned the "hot beans"... they were TOO hot - not flavourful hot, just overspiced, bland, way too spicy IMO. :)

• Ken4057 Ken4057

That's a funny follow-up to the comment on spiciness in my review. Maybe you need to work your way up from ketchup more slowly. ;-)

Ken4057
Ken4057

DONUTS THAT PUT TIMMIES TO SHAME

5 Posted on 03 / 07 / 2011

Went here for a quick brunch, but also to see what the buzz was about their addictive donuts. My ladyfriend and I shared a seitan chorizo burrito (+guacamole) along with an espresso donut and a caramel glazed donut.

I used to be a big fan of Tim Hortons donuts growing up, and since going vegan I'll asmit that I miss it from time to time, but Hot Beans donuts are fresher, doughier, chewier, more decadent and not full of chemicals and cruelty. Hallelujah.

The burrito was filling, flavourful and had great textures from the crispiness of the pressed burrito, the smooth richness of the guacamole to the gristly chewiness of the chorizo seitan strips.

The menu is basically burritos, so not much in the way of variety, but why bother when you've got a lock on burrito magic.

My only non-positive comment would be that the spicy salsa is actually medium and there is no true spicy salsa, but if you're a wussy then you'll appreciate that. ;-)

I plan to go back many a time.

6 Happy Cows.

Pros: friendly, reasonable, donuts
Cons: none

Dear Owner and Manager of Hot Beans: