Serves meat, veg options available. Japanese restaurant. There is a vegetarian section on the menu, and any meats may be substituted with tofu. Reported to use chicken stock on their vegetarian menus so vegans/vegetarians confirm. Price: Moderate more-less
Japanese, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by mommacat
delcianna
delcianna

Hoshun is *not* veg friendly

1 Posted on 09 / 21 / 2011

I went here with two other veg friends after seeing it listed on Happy Cow only to be utterly disappointed. Even though there is a so-called "vegetarian" section on the menu, when we inquired about ingredients and the waitress went to speak with the chef, we were informed that virtually *everything* on the "vegetarian" menu had beef broth in it. We were told that the only truly veg dish they could make us was steamed vegetables.

Cons: misleading menu, not veg friendly
Cthomas
Cthomas
  • non-vegetarian

Excellent Service, Food, Atmosphere

4 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2011

My friend is a vegetarian and it was her birthday. We called ahead and got a reservation. They sat us down in a section of the restaurant that over looked
St. Charles Streetcar. It looks like there were three sections, groups are easily accommodated. Very nice decor and comfortable chairs. The menu has lots of options of Chinese, Thai and Japanese. We ordered a large variety of veggie dishes and they were all excellent. The eggplant, mixed vegetables and pad thai. The others ordered a three roll plate that came with salad, soup and some fried wontons. Everyone agreed that the food was delicious. The big surprise was when the waitress brought out a bowl of ice cream with sliced strawberries and a single candle burning. No one had said anything to the waitress. She just picked up on it based on our conversation. It was really special. Total bill for 5 people with tip was $108.00. Very reasonable. Good fresh food, cooked to perfection.

Pros: Fresh Foods, Cooked to perfection, Excellent Service
Cons: Sushi Rolls were small
kayellebee
kayellebee

Eh - Basic

3 Posted on 10 / 28 / 2010

Beautiful building and good service. It's your basic Japanese restaurant - nothing outstanding, at least from a vegan standpoint. There are definitely better Japanese places than this.

Pros: Aesthetically nice
Cons: Few vegan options

mommacat
mommacat

not going back

1 Posted on 03 / 19 / 2009

the food was delicious. the hostess was charming. my server was somber and serious- he could not smile and it made me really uncomfortable. When I asked if a certain dish was vegan (i suspected it would have a chicken or fish broth) he replied with, "yes, we can make it vegetarian". I did not ask if it could be made vegetarian- i asked if it was vegan. Big difference. His lack of hospitality and lack of attention to detail really disappointed me. I shall not go there again...

Pros: delicious food
Cons: bad service

Dear Owner and Manager of Hoshun: