CLOSED: Horizons

Vegan restaurant in Philadelphia offering changing seasonal menu. Reservations suggested for the main dining room on the second floor. More casual seating is available for walk-ins in the lounge on the first floor and at the wine bar. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan, International, South American, Beer/Wine, Take-out
611 S 7th Street (Kater St)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19147
215-923-6117

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by tua34086
conniex721
conniex721

Gourmet and Delicious

Posted on 04 / 15 / 2011

I love Horizons! I've eaten here twice and been fully satisfied both times! The first time we tried the chefs tasting menu, which was great. The parsnip soup was one of the best things I've ever tasted. Our broiled tofu was perfectly crispy on the outside and silky smooth inside. And the sticky toffee pudding was to die for. I've also had the seitan entree, which was very good. My favorite desserts are the Irish Cheesecake (a St. Patrick's day special I think) and the toffee pudding. I found the chocolate mousse cake a bit too dense, the beignets rather heavy, and the creme brulee too tofu-y. But my friends all had different opinions, so try them all! I also was not impressed by the truffle fries; they were bland.
All in all, this is my favorite restaurant! Furthermore, because there's not meat on the menu, it's much cheaper than your average gourmet restaurant. Woo! And also, service is great.

Pros: Gourmet, Good Prices, Fantastic Food
Cons: A few weaker dishes
Steve Siegel
Steve Siegel

Unparalleled

Posted on 12 / 11 / 2010

Horizons is quite likely the greatest restaurant in the world. I have travelled all over the U.S. and Europe and dined at many wonderful vegetarian and vegan restaurants, but have never found any other place at this level. The menu constantly changes, so you can always try something new. No meat-imitation dishes; just endlessly creative, flavor-filled masterpieces from the freshest local vegetables, tofu, tempeh, grains, etc. The staff are wonderful and there is a great bar on the second floor. It is not cheap, but worth every penny.

Pros: greatest food, friendly staff, ambiance
lindamink
lindamink

Thank you Happy Cow!

Posted on 12 / 04 / 2010

I read about Horizons online and knew that this is where I wanted to celebrate my 10 year wedding anniversary with my husband. Happy Cow Reviews lead me in the right path! We booked a table ahead by a few days for a Saturday night dinner. The interior restaurant was a bit small inside. I wasn't sure what to really expect, at first I was put a bit off because it felt less "upscale" based on the price of the meals, but as the evening moved on, they lowered the lights and it really started to feel more romantic.

The food was amazing. The barbecued seitan is an experience that every vegan must live through! It melts in your mouth. The pacific rim tofu my husband was raving about, and my meal was amazing too. I loved that they tried to use local ingredients, such as the heirloom tomatoes and fresh roasted turnips. Also the alcoholic drinks were very tasty!!! They definitely do an amazing job at this restaurant. There is also outdoor seating, but it was middle of the summer here in Philly, and you never know what you will expect outside so I played it safe indoors. It was one of the best vegan meals of my life!!! I plan to return many times in the future to come. The meal between two of us, with alcoholic drinks came out to about $60/pp. Street parking can be found with a lot of hunting. We eventually found parking but it wasn't that easy..

Pros: Delicious Food, local ingredient inclusion
Cons: parking

shymatt1001
shymatt1001

great place

Posted on 12 / 03 / 2010

I have eaten at horizons 7 times. It could be the best vegan restaurant in the country. The grilled seitan and The pacific rim tofu are delicious. All the entrees are a decent portion size, but i would recommend an entree and an appetizer if you want to be full. of the appetizers, the bbq seitan and the moroccan tacos are great. the english pea soup is tasty. Try the cheesecake, its much richer than most cheesecakes. The place is beautiful, especially upstairs at night. Perfect place to celebrate with friends and family. Brought my parents here and they enjoyed their meals. Its too bad vegan drinks isn't held here anymore.

Pros: Better than candle 79 IMHO, great atmosphere, friendly waiters
Roger in PA
Roger in PA

Our favorite restaurant in Philadelphia

Posted on 08 / 07 / 2010

Horizons gives as near to a perfect restaurant experience as I could hope for. Excellent, creative and interesting vegan offerings that change frequently. Amazing appetizers, entrees and desserts. An outstanding selection of superb beers and wines. Flawless service. An interesting neighborhood for pre- or post-prandial wanderings. Book your reservations well in advance, because this is a deservedly popular eating spot.

Pros: excellent food, flawless service, totally satisfying
veganbuttercream
veganbuttercream

The best.

Posted on 08 / 01 / 2010

The best restaurant in the country. I have never been disappointed by a meal here and having been coming for years. I wish I could say the same about Candle 79, Blossom, Millennium, and Ubuntu, some of its upscale vegetarian counterparts, where the food has either been bland, too tough, or derivative on many occasions
The food at Horizons is always extremely fresh and truly inventive in both flavor and technique. It's incredible from the warm, melt-in your-mouth foccacia served to each table with the daily infused olive oil to the desserts (and on that note, cheesecakes are a must-have; I still dream about the white chocolate-lavender slice I had two summers ago). All the spices and textures always complement each other so well. The atmosphere is always pleasant and quiet but never pretentious or stuffy, so you can enjoy the food, conversation, and vegan cocktails made with fresh fruit juices and organic ingredients.

This restaurant is truly on a different level from its competition and I would recommend it to everyone. The only thing I could possibly complain about is that occasionally the service is a bit iffy: sometimes it can be slow (but what restaurant doesn't have this problem?) and sometimes the servers are a bit weird/inexperienced/undertrained. It's never been enough to detract from a meal and leave me unsatisfied with my visit. The food is just that good (and the services has never really been BAD, per se, just not the greatest). Even the staunchest omnivores I've brought here have walked away full-stomached and raving (in a good way).

Pros: amazing, inventive food, fresh, local, seasonal foods utilized, all vegan
Cons: sometimes slow or confused service
MrsMaggie
MrsMaggie

No Complaints

Posted on 07 / 18 / 2010

This place was great as all the other reviews already say. We went there not knowing it was a upscale type of atmosphere and had my 5 year old with us, but they didn't mind and luckily my son liked it enough not to get roudy. The food was all amazing! Only downside is the cost.

Pros: taste, selection
Cons: price
CJ
CJ

My favorite vegan restaurant

Posted on 03 / 23 / 2010

Although I don't eat cooked food anymore, I still enjoy dining out, which means I need a place with spinach or other greens, tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, or sweet fruit. Horizons is always willing to accommodate. I have had their cooked food as well, and it always impressed me. My favorites were the seitan and the cheesecakes. Vegan cheesecakes are normally better than omnivorous ones, in my opinion. Do try Horizons if you're in Philly!!

nodrog182
nodrog182

Simply the best!

Posted on 11 / 28 / 2009

Ok to be completely honest i am not vegan or vegetarian. I took my fiance here for her birthday, because she is vegetarian. At first she felt bad, because she thought that i would sit there the whole time and complain about how the food would taste. I have to say i loved it. In fact it is one of the best places i have ever eaten at. The food tasted better then real meat itself! simply perfect. It is a relaxing, romantic lit place. I will, without a doubt go there many more times. Make sure to make reservations.

KATHLEEN W.
KATHLEEN W.

Wonderful!

Posted on 11 / 12 / 2009

I love Horizons! The food is wonderful, & it is ALL vegan. It is expensive, but is a good place to go to for a treat.

Pros: All vegan food, good service
WriterGirl
WriterGirl

Amazing meal

Posted on 08 / 29 / 2009

Loved our meal. A true chef at the helm. Far exceeded my expectations. We savored every bite. Spendy, but well worth it. They wouldn't let us bring in our outside drinks from the cafe who recommended us. Otherwise, great service.

Pros: all fresh, absolutely vegan
Cons: Spendy, wouldn't let us bring in drinks
  • kindlizard kindlizard

Even lesser places don't let you bring in outside food or drink from outside. Horizons is among the very best in country and its crazy of you to think it'd be ok otherwise. Guess you can take the girl out of Corvallis but no the Corvallis out of the girl...

• WriterGirl WriterGirl

Went directly to Horizons upon arriving in Philadelphia. Bought the cookbook. Another splendid meal.

funchy
funchy

a must-visit for anyone in the area

Posted on 08 / 16 / 2009

LOVE this place. Finally a taste of fine-dining menu items without all the horror of meat. EVERYTHING is vegan!!!

I brought non-vegan family along, and they found things they liked.

Decor was pleasant. Staff was helpful, though a bit slower service last time I was in. Location is convenient, walking distance from all the action of South Street. Menu was very extensive. Wait staff VERY understanding of vegan diners -- what a nice change from other restaurants! :-)

The killer is the price. The four of us had lunch dishes and I think an appetizer or two and it was over $150. While I understand they're catering to a specialty audience and have the higher overhead of being in Philly, their prices are out of line with similar [non-vegan] restaurants in the area. We were joking that I guess only the very rich can afford to be vegans in Philly.

It is not huge, so be sure to get reservations if you're coming at peak dining times.

They did have limited outdoor seating last time I was there.

It is a must-see. I'd visit more than 1-2x a year, if they offered more affordable options.

Does not have its own parking lot, but there are lots within walking distance. Tip: if you don't mind walking a few blocks, there is a wonderful Whole Foods Market on South Street nearby.

Pros: VEGAN!, complex wonderful dishes, always tasty
Cons: price, no parking lot
  • kindlizard kindlizard

I've never heard of a place in center city that has its own parking lot. I think that's an unreasonable expectation. I bet w those 2 apps ($20), plus 4 entrees ($80) there were likely a few high end cocktails or some desserts ($$). Don't go to a high end cafe order 4 or 5 courses and say its cost prohibitive. That is unfair. If you are on a budget, either order more modestly or don't go to a high end place to begin with. But ORGANIC food and drinks are more expensive and people who enjoy top of the line ingredients and cuisine enjoy it tremendously.

mjsavaj
mjsavaj

Superb dining experience every time

Posted on 05 / 26 / 2009

This restaurant rates in my top 5 of all time. The food is delicious, the service is exceptional, and I have always been pleased with the meal, dessert, and beverage choices. If you travel to Philadelphia and are looking for a night out, include Horizons in your plans--you won't be disappointed.

Pros: excellent food, all vegan, lovely atmosphere
Cons: pricey
rob mafia
rob mafia

meh

Posted on 05 / 14 / 2009

food is decent (desserts were good), but portions are tiny and the price is massive.

after eating appetizer, entree, and dessert, i was still hungry. and $45 poorer. haha.

Pros: desserts, not meat
Cons: price, portion size
marybheine
marybheine

Too Yummy for Description!

Posted on 04 / 22 / 2009

Wow, finally, a really fine vegan restaurant for downtown Philadelphia. I've been there three times in one month, and will return often. I enjoyed the low lighting in there, so I could kiss my food before each bite, telling it, "thanks for being so yummy". OK, so my date was laughing his head off watching me do this. We shared the baked seitan and the lemon/peppered tofu. Yes, the prices are high, but if you cook, you can appreciate all the many flavors, sauces, crunchy/salty accompaniments that make each bite a savory trip to outer space. Very time-consuming and tedious to make fine vegan fare. I can appreciate all the work involved with the food. Even after dinner was over, burping it back up (I know, ick) was another taste treat. The smoky and chewy flavor of the seitan was marvelous. Even though I stopped eating meat 16 years ago, I still miss that chewy/smoky meat taste. A pan-fried portabello mushroom doesn't quite cut it. I also loved the blueberry cheesecake for dessert. Nice wait staff, you can tell they are proud of the food they bring out of the kitchen. Now if all meat-eaters could taste how good food is without the dead animal. I wish we had a Horizons out on the Main Line. You should call for reservations, as one time we didn't have one, and ended up eating at the bar, which was fine, but not as romantic. And I couldn't kiss my food as much.

Pros: yummiest food ever, baked seitan, blueberry cheesecake
Cons: hard to get a weekend reservation, hard to find street parking
greenbluegray
greenbluegray

Amazing as always

Posted on 02 / 11 / 2009

I cajole everyone I know into going here, because so many people think vegan eating is joyless. At Horizons, it is an art and a celebration of life and peace and flavor and creativity. One example -- we ordered the Jamaican Jerk Seitan for an appetizer. My boyfriend took his first bite and looked at me incredulously with joy on his face, knowing it would blow my mind with flavor, and it did. I am crazy for mushrooms, and the dish that featured them prepared 4 different ways was heavenly. It even had a tiny shepherd's pie with mushrooms on the bottom. He had the Cauliflower Mac, which mimics the comfort of macaroni and cheese, a new dish for them. But when your partner is a vegetarian too, you can just switch plates the whole time. :-)

We really enjoyed tasting the wines by the glass, many organic, and our waiter made excellent recommendations. The staff is very well-trained and enthusiastic about the food. It makes me fantasize about working in a vegan eatery. As a coffee fanatic, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the loose teas. The blueberry rooibos tasted so good that I am now after a teapot of my own. We have the Horizons cookbook and have made quite a few dishes. It is filled with good advice and cool stories of how Kate and Rich get their food ideas. I love that there is a vegan restaurant so good that people have to make reservations far in advance. Maybe someday people will go out for vegan like they do for sushi. I cannot believe people complain about the prices. They are right in line with other nice restaurants and probably lower, with all entrees under $20. Long live Horizons! Bravo Kate and Rich!

Pros: upscale atmosphere, unusual great wine, enthusiastic service
Cons: makes me intolerant of meat places
rvasquez
rvasquez

OMG!

Posted on 11 / 19 / 2008

I thought I had died and gone to vegan heaven. This was probably the best vegan food I've ever had! It cracked me up a bit that it was so swanky and that we had to make a reservation, but it was all so worth it, as was the cost which was about 20 dollars a plate. I would gladdly pay it again and again if I lived in the area. I ordered the seitan steak and it was unbelievable. It actually had a very steaky flavor to it which I hadn't tasted in a very long time. My boyfriend and I split an entree and an appetizer and it was enough food for the both of us, and made it a lot cheaper. I will definitely be back if I'm ever in the area.

Pros: Amazing Food!, Good Service
Cons: Pricey, but worth it
ellen and alan
ellen and alan

Loved this place

Posted on 08 / 11 / 2008

We had two awesome meals here this past weekend. The service was excellent although the second night a little slow we think due to the influx of people all at once. The servers knew the menu and offered excellent suggestions. We loved the BBQ appetizer and the palm cakes. We also tried the Asian type brochette and the grilled seitan which were both excellent. We had desert both nights and loved the blueberry cheese cake. We also had the mojito perfecto which my husband liked alot - I am not too into the citrus tastes. The chef knows how to make a sauce and his dressings are superior. Although we are both vegan I would not hesitate to proudly bring a meat eater here.

Pros: atmosphere, food, bar
bengarland
bengarland

Ditto! Horizons is THE BEST.

Posted on 07 / 21 / 2008

I can't really add much more than all of the other glowing reviews. I have been to Horizons twice and each time it was an amazing experience. Yes, it is very expensive but oh my god it is totally worth every penny. The quality of ingredients, the presentation, the unique dishes that you cannot get anywhere else. Horizons is truly an original!

Don't come to Philly without going to Horizons!!!

Pros: delicious, high quality, attentive staff
Cons: none
JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible
  • herbivore

A "stolen" Review of a wonderful restaurant ! ! !

Posted on 07 / 02 / 2008

This read so well that I could not resist stealing a section of it & posting it here.
+ Vegetarian Food in Philadelphia at Horizons
By Judy Barr

Excerpt -

So just what is this vegan palace of delights? To begin with, it's on the shady side past South Street, up a flight of stairs in Ikea beige and bleached blonde floors and straight on to goodness. The reservation was discreetly checked, coats were collected, and the party allowed to slump into comfortably upholstered chairs in a room that could double as a yoga zone or casual modern art gallery. One face at the table beamed, wide eyes blinking, as if arriving at a sort of mecca. The staunch carnivore offered to gnaw my arm, proclaiming that "Meat is my Jesus!"

Horizons is like "Pimp My Haffner" gone decadent. For one thing, dining halls don't usually offer pomegranate sangria. It arrives on a tray, zesty from an orange garnish and sweet from the sliced fresh grapes mamboing among the ice cubes. I mean, I could feel the beneficial antioxidants tingling down to the tips of my toes within minutes of the first sip. Like the cuisine, the beverages--from wine by the glass to cocktails and even a cappuccino--are totally and completely vegan, no weird menu symbols needed.

Once appropriately watered, it's time for the viands--and oh, what a feast. Remember the carnivore? She almost licked the plate. One companion was fearful that perhaps "vegan" was a code word for healthy as in, lacking in the usual indulgences of processed carbohydrates. Right on cue, the cone of homemade warm focaccia, served with a dish of oil and freshly pressed herbs, arrived. Thick and chewy, the focaccia soaks up the flavors of the oil and works well as a foil to the fruity sangria and red wines. The Red Chili and Cauliflower soup was a luscious bowl with a velvety broth, fragrant with lemongrass and finishing with a hefty kick. Golden Beet Panzanella Salad is a riff on traditional Italian that roughly translates to "leftovers." This is not leftovers. This is cuisine. Croutons with that kind of crunch and savor wouldn't be hour-old in my house. Cucumbers and tomatoes are married with chunks of smoked tofu and croutons studded with crisp red onions and salty bursts of capers, topped with mandoline-fine sheets of golden beets and frisée and surrounded by basil oil and dots of balsamic vinegar.

Read the entire Review here - http://www.biconews.com/?p=6981

hoffmans2
hoffmans2

The best meal I've ever had

Posted on 05 / 19 / 2008

In October of 2007 I ordered an entree and it came out with a skewer of what appeared to be steak. I had to ask my husband to test it for me. He spit it out and said "this is meat...WAITER!" "This IS a vegan restaurant, right???!!!"

We both had quite a laugh when we were told about how the "steak" is made from mushrooms, and upon re-tasting we both realized it was indeed mushroom! Everything was awsome, even dessert, and I highly reccommend the orange flavored tea, as it tastes just like orange soda!

The setting is formal and the service was immaculate. Our flight was delayed 6 hours and we were able to push back our reservations. When we arrived late at night, they gladly took us in. We wish there was a Horizons in every city. I have no reason to return to Philadelphia, but am considering flying up for special occassions just to eat there again. I will never forget that restaurant.

Pros: menu, hours, setting/service
Cons: price
Drago
Drago

Worth a drive from New York!

Posted on 03 / 05 / 2008

My friend who's a flight attendant was in Philadelphia till the next day and called to say, "Wanna come to Philly for a few hrs?" And what the hell we went. Of course once we got there what to do but eat! Had never even heard of Horizions before, just did some asking around. We had no reservations so we had to sit at the bar and that didn't even matter. The food was some of the best vegan food I have ever eaten and knowing the menu is 100% vegan made ordering all the more easier. Living in New York I am surrounded by great vegan options but I would take a road trip again just to go to Horizons. the bill was hefty but it was well worth it and I'd spend it again. Being at the bar didn't make the atmosphere any less initmate either. It was a great time.

Pros: amazing food, nice staff, great atmosphere
Cons: expensive- but worth it!
hairgirl
hairgirl

What else can I say?

Posted on 01 / 13 / 2008

Everyone else has already said it. Horizons is amazing in every way. I do agree with what someone said about them removing the pecan/sage seitan dish from the menu. I liked that dish a lot as well.

Richard Myers
Richard Myers

Fine food

Posted on 12 / 19 / 2007

While visiting Philadelphia for the marathon we made reservations at Horizons and we were not disappointed. The vegan food, service and atmosphere are all great. You need to eat here.

beautiful_sky
beautiful_sky

mouth watering

Posted on 12 / 16 / 2007

I've finally had the chance to check out Horizons after hearing so much about the place. It is EVERYTHING it's cracked up to be and more. There is nothing mediocre or ok. It is FABULOUS. It is expensive, but totally worth it. Probably the best restaurant I've ever eaten at. Hands down.

Pros: incredible food, friendly staff, small
mr.pancakes
mr.pancakes

delicious

Posted on 12 / 14 / 2007

i had the jamaican bbq seitan as an starter and the grilled seitan for an entree and all i can say is...
delicious!!!best food i had in years!!

jaelee
jaelee

All Vegetarian Cuisine

Posted on 10 / 31 / 2007

The best vegetarian haute cuisine restaurant I've been to this far. This is a must when in Philadelphia. The seitan is mouth watering and stays with you in a delightful way, while the tempe will have you coming back for more.

Pros: Excellent Food, Good Value, Friendly Staff

Horizons is the best!

Posted on 10 / 28 / 2007

Horizons...where does one start? How about with the world incredible! I went here on my birthday and it was amazing; probably the best meal I have ever eaten, honest! The vegan creme brulee -is very, very good!

Pros: Great Atmosphere, Great Food, Friendly Staff
VegFoodie
VegFoodie

Amazing and worth every penny!

Posted on 09 / 28 / 2007

I can't say enough wonderful things about this restaurant, and I wanted to write to say I think it's very fairly priced. Maybe other reviewers are used to eating cheap Chinese food and veggie cheesesteaks. But for the quality of ingredients and the labor-intensive menu they serve, I think it's a bargain. I dine out all over the city and the country. Most mainstream restaurants charge in the mid-to-upper 20's for really basic veg plates. Horizons serves some of the best vegan fare I've ever had. So I recommend you go, enjoy, and thank them for bringing some real sophistication to vegan cooking!

Pros: food, wine list, value
kindlizard
kindlizard

Unbelievable

Posted on 09 / 09 / 2007

Insanely good food. Very creative, very inspired dish-licking cuisine. This could well be the best veg rest in the country. Definitely top 5 in the US. Always a good time, great food, if not the best food, and an amazing culinary event. It broadens the mind to eat here and catch the inspiration of vegan cooking. Their cookbook is a great insight as well, but even if you match their recipes they hold back a tad, the difference is amazing. Their cafe rocks. The only thing, is the new place is more fancy than the juice bar, colorful, people-friendly cafe they had in the burbs. This place in the city is more black and white, alcohol bar than juice bar, than the original. However, set that aside and eat. When you go, order a lot, it is phenomenal. Quite the treat. The best of the best.

Pros: Inspired , Amazing food, varied veggies
myboyfriendisdead
myboyfriendisdead

Worth the Money

Posted on 07 / 03 / 2007

Horizons features some of the best 'Home Made' vegan food around. I was rather upset when Down to Earth closed in Red Bank, NJ. If you like that place Horizons is worth the drive. The service was great, the sangria was quite tasty and the food was mouth watering! I am looking forward to my next visit. Don't forget to save room for desert.

Pros: atmosphere, clean, excellent food
will-travel-for-food
will-travel-for-food

Neat recipes and pretty presentation

Posted on 06 / 26 / 2007

Our first time to Horizons was very nice. The recipes are definitely unique, with both veggie-based entrees and mock-meat based entrees. We got a beet salad as an appetizer that was delicious. I got a zingy tempeh dish that came with Sriracha "butter", and my b/f got a "chicken" and asparagus dish. Both were great. Our dessert was nice, as well. They have a few nice beers available, too. Horizons is a bit pricey, but it is definitely a nice place for a date or special occasion.

Pros: Food is unique and good, Quaint interior, Not just mock meats
Cons: A bit pricey
  • sifelaver sifelaver

Incorrect. Horizons does not have, or even allude to, anything on their menu include "chicken" or being "faux chicken"

• kindlizard kindlizard

Actually Sife, if you have their cookbook and often times on their menu, they have referenced a dish as a "xyz" dish. "Wings" for example, are there as id Seitan Beef stew, so your harping on w-t-f-f is way off. Their menu is online if you need more info, and their book is citable if you want page numbers.

Guest

Amazing food, but a little pricey

Posted on 05 / 08 / 2007

We just ate here Friday and are planning on going back this Thursday and again Saturday! The food is truly incredible, some of the best I have had.
The decor is simple but elegant. The wait staff is great and service was impeccable. I was so excited when I saw the menu, I usually have to pick the ONE thing I can eat when I go out to a restaurant. Here I could pick from the whole menu!! My only complaint is the price. Don't get me wrong, the food, ambiance, and service is well worth it. But being just about the only good vegetarian option in the city outside Chinatown (how much Chinese food can you eat?) it is a little expensive to go frequently. There is a less expensive Tapas menu but it is limited. Still, this is my favorite place in the city, bar none.

Pros: fantastic food, large portions, great variety
Cons: Price
condekedar
condekedar

Spectacular gourmet vegan

Posted on 05 / 07 / 2007

Some of the best vegan food I've ever had in any part of the US. Everything was artfully prepared and presented with top-quality service. The golden beet tapas were succulent and its accompanying edamame puree just amazed me. The portobella carpaccio was delicate and tender. The Bourbon BBQ tempeh was filling and tasty, but I found that the Pacific Rim Tofu was tastier and had better side dishes (ponzu brocolini, edamame mash). For dessert, make sure to try their cheesecake or their chocolate peanut butter ice cream brownie, both of which were top-notch. Prices are high, but the quality of the food is five-star gourmet.

Pros: Gourmet taste, Fresh, unusual, original, Excellent service
Cons: Expensive
sifelaver
sifelaver

amazing

Posted on 04 / 26 / 2007

horizon's is simply amazing. i feel bad for anyone who has had a bad experience there. there are two floors; upstairs is fine dining and downstairs is more casual with a bar and lounge. i love the downstairs. you don't need a reservation downstairs (even on the weekend) and i'm more into the casual dining experience anyway. also, new for the spring: tuesday through thursday downstairs they have happy hour drink specials and $9 sandwiches. currently i think they have a reuben, french dip (amazing), chipotle burrito (very spicy, even for spicy-lovers) and some kind of carribean bbq sandwich (OK, but not as good of a sauce as the appetizer). YUM. my only gripe is that they took the pecan & sage baked seitan off the menu because of a comment in the inky by craig laban. i loved that dish.

Pros: unique dining experience, 100% vegan, magical
Cons: not cheap, but worth it
tua34086
tua34086

New favorite Restaurant!

Posted on 03 / 10 / 2007

I dined here last night with my meat eating parents. The food, atmosphere and service were all incredible! If your vegetarian or vegan, if you live in Philadelphia or are here on business... Horizons is a must!

the best

Posted on 01 / 25 / 2007

I've eaten in vegan restaurants all over the country, and live in Manhattan, and I'm totally convinced that Horizons is the best out there. I've been a supporter since they opened in Philly and the Pacific Rim tofu is tempting every time. They serioulsy make the best tofu dishes, I don't know how they do it. I love this place and it's really hard not to go when I'm in town. the service just keeps geting better and better, but perhaps that's because they know me now!

Pros: great tofu, great food, organic/vegan wine list!!

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Horizons: