CLOSED: Hong Ming Vegetaria...

Offers dishes on rice from the bain marie, and makes both noodle and non-noodle soups. Has dim sum and steamed buns. The street on which this veggie restaurant is located is parallel to Krabi River, just off Maharaja Soi 10, on the street directly behind the Vieng Tong Hotel. No English menu, but staff might speak a little English. FEB 2016 REPORTED SHUT. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Chinese, Thai, Fast food, Take-out

sisnarf
sisnarf

Cold buffet food

Posted on 05 / 12 / 2015

It should be known that this is $3 buffet style food. It is cooked at 12 in the back. I came in at 3pm ordered from a small selection. I realized it was cold and asked if they could heat it up. They told me that they couldn't. I wanted to return it but they said I couldn't because I ordered it.

On a positive note, it looks like it would be terrific if you get there right when they cook it. Otherwise enjoy cold tofu that has been sitting with flies all day.

Pros: veggie selection, fake meat, cheap
Cons: dirty, cold food, lazy staff
misstracee
misstracee

hong ming for the win

Posted on 03 / 15 / 2015

delicious noodle soup for 35 baht. their mock meat selection is pretty awesome. so much flavor. the portion size was good and they have a small selection of cold drinks to purchase from the fridge. we found them to be very friendly and helpful. they are closed on sunday and if you're like me and forget what day it is, there's another vegan place a few doors down to tie you over until monday. it's not as good as hong ming, but it's okay. i like that hong ming has a small selection of grocery items that include my new favorite vegan 2 minute noodles.

Pros: vegan, delicious, large mock meat selection
Cons: closed sunday
kezia
kezia

Best Vegan Restaurant in Krabi Town.

Posted on 02 / 05 / 2015

Fantastic!! We ate there twice. The noodle soup is to die for! And as far as I'm aware the only totally vegan restaurant in Krabi town.
The staff are polite and very helpful, despite little English. The meals we had here were the best we ate in a week in Krabi town/ Koh lanta.
There seems to be two options. Either one of 4 noodle soups (all delicious!) or to have brown rice with one of two toppings from the generous counter that runs along the shop. Manly made up of soya and mock meat dishes and a variety of vegetable choices. My only complaint (and this is quite personal to my taste, so others may love it) but a lot of the dishes you from the counter have ginger in them. Often raw slithers too. I'm slightly allergic so this made the counter choices a bit tricky for me, but I could eat their noodle soup all day long.
They also have great mini sponge cakes with either, blueberry, peanut, mushroom or bean paste, Distinguishable from the coloured dot on top, Depends on the day! And other cakes :-) we were told that even these were vegan.
So basically HIGHLY recommended!

Pros: ALL 100% vegan!, Good location , Friendly staff

serrarose
serrarose

Simple, Tasty Thai

Posted on 01 / 29 / 2015

Your basic thai vegetarian buffet with a selection of mock meats, noodles and vegie dishes, served with rice. I ordered rice with two choices right about lunch time (12.30) and although the food was tasty enough it was cold. Obviously seats in the buffet from the time the cook it until it sells out. Cant really go wrong tho if you like cheap vegetarian thai food and dont mind that it might not be hot.

Pros: Cheap
Cons: Food Was Cold
Woodruff01
Woodruff01

Great vegie food

Posted on 01 / 07 / 2015

Look past the basic look of this restaurant and enjoy the food. Nice vegan buffet and extremely cheap - around 100 baht for 2 people including drinks.

Pros: cheap, nice food
Cons: not a pretty street but good enough
Melinda Jackson
Melinda Jackson

Delicious local eatery

Posted on 06 / 03 / 2014

Luckily enough, three vegetarian cyclists found that we were staying opposite this fantastic vegetarian/vegan restaurant at the hometel hostel. The food here is cheap and amazing - highlights include spicy green curries, tom yum with enoki / mock chicken, pumpkin curry and mushroom steamed buns (on par with the original!). The lovely family speak a bit of English and it is easy to order from the selection of ready-made dishes. It seems to close around 3pm and also has a mini vego supermarket. Love!

Sue P
Sue P

great little Vegan Thai eatery

Posted on 04 / 01 / 2014

Whilst this was just around the corner from where I was staying I only went there once as they close at 5.30pm and I was usually out for most of the day so could go there at lunchtime.However I went for breakfast and was able to have a traditional Thai breakfast of noodle type soup. The young woman serving spoke English and was really helpful. I notice many local people come and get their lunch as a takeaway from this restaurant. The soup was tasty and she made it less spicy for me and cost about 40 TBH. They did not have a huge choice in dishes but they all looked good.

Pros: tasty, helpful and friendly staff, inexpensive
Cons: closes at 5.30pm
magicshadow
magicshadow
  • fruitarian

many locals and cheap price

Posted on 03 / 03 / 2014

No menue, you can pick from buffet. No english speaking stuff. Everything vegan. Many locals were eating there. I tried 4 dishes, the taste was ok. They warned me because of "spicy" but it wasn't spicy. The price is very cheap. Farangs are served same like locals. I can recommed this place!
It is only open till 5pm.

Pros: very cheap, authentic local food
Cons: no english speaking stuff or menue, only open till 5pm
badegg
badegg

still there

Posted on 01 / 29 / 2014

I took a cab from au nang to krabi today with the whole family. I can confirm that the place is still there and it is very good. Easily worth the trip. Cheap and tasty.

they are open only during the day.

there is also another veg restaurant at the square a block away but didnt try it.

Pros: seitan, mock meat, spicy, cheap
Cons: a bit limites selection
Chia
Chia

Easy food

Posted on 01 / 16 / 2012

Ate here on a past trip to Thailand. Here's my Hong Ming Vegetarian Food review.

It's one of the few places to eat vegetarian food in this area of Krabi. It is all vegetarian and popular with the local vegetarians and during worship times when non-vegetarians will also come here.

Your can order hot noodle soup, or come early for the buffet as food will sell out.

Pros: cheap, filling, vegan
Cons: limited selections, limited hours
Amity J
Amity J

I miss this place already!

Posted on 12 / 19 / 2011

We visited Krabi in October this year and ended up staying for longer that we'd originally expected, so ended up eating at Hong Ming may times!

I can basicall confirm all the other reviews: tasty buffet style food, great use of spice, sweet drinks (very good to cut the super spicy dishes) inexpensive prices. Just great in a town where veg options are in short supply!

Pros: inexpensive, great flavours
Guest
Guest

my favorite!

Posted on 08 / 11 / 2011

I love Hong Ming Vegetarian! You choose two toppings with rice. The cost is very inexpensive. It is a friendly and humble cafeteria style place, a refuge for strict vegetarians. Go early in the day, the food is all prepped in the early morning. You can get to-go. We plan ahead for when they are closed and stock up. I wish I was there right now! Enjoy!

Pros: yummy food, friendly staff , very inexpensive
Cons: minimal english, just point & smile!
Ianthewander
Ianthewander

Yum yum

Posted on 06 / 02 / 2011

A short review, confirming the previous. Great small restaurant, food very tasty, great use of spice. Recommended.

Pros: variety, low cost, taste
Cons: closes early.
JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible
  • herbivore

'Beat Cafe' - super simple - lovely people

Posted on 04 / 20 / 2011

Delightfully friendly family run Buddhist open fronted cafe - very simple - very basic.

A breakfast / lunch place - after 15.00 the food selection is very limited.

Old hippies, seasoned backpackers, beatniks will feel quite at home here - I adore Hong Ming & have been visiting for too many years.

You get a plate of several different tasty veggie preparations, mock meats, local red rice or noodles etc. - usually for much less than US$ 1.50.

Point & point again - very little English spoken - I have never looked at a menu.

Be ready to share tables with the locals if the place is busy.

Some groceries also sold.

Beware - the drinks are quite sweet

The red hibiscus flower drink tastes superb.

Hong Ming is the only veggy restaurant in Krabi to date.

Directions - between Maharaja Soi's 6 & 10 - one street back from the river - directly behind the extremely seedy Rongram (Hotel) Vieng Tong which is at 155 Uttarakit Rd., Krabi Town.

Note - this is not, not, not a place for anyone wanting piping hot fancy food & perfect sparkly hygeine - I call it a '5' because I adore such places & I am perhaps slightly eccentric.

Jepulis
Jepulis

Lots of mock meats

Posted on 07 / 06 / 2010

There were a lot of mock meats in this restaurant and it was very cheap. You choose what you want and they also bring some fresh veggies and herbs to the table. We ate there in February 2010 in the morning between 8 and 9 am. Then again about 1 pm because a meal was included in our mangrove trip and they brought us there again.

Pros: mock meats, cheap, lots of alternatives
Cons: some portions not very tasty

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Hong Ming Vegetarian Food: