Little family-run restaurant off into a alleyway heading to the main touristy beach. 100% vegan family operation. Casual seating with fan and area to park your bike in the shade. Meals include tofu seasoning not commonly found in the area. Offers Hoi An local specialties, cau lau, rice with veg and tofu, noodles, vermicelli, and special Hoi An noodle. Seasonal selection of fruit shakes and offers non-alcoholic beer from Holland. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Vietnamese, Chinese, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out
33 Cu Dai, Phuong Cam Chau
Hoi An, Vietnam
0122-5992823

Call for hours - tell us

• Cash only

First Review by paemoses
Tschiep
Tschiep

Lovely Place

Posted on 12 / 01 / 2014

We came here for lunch after the beach. It's always difficult to judge a place after one visit, but personally I just loved it. The owner was incredibly nice, and I really liked the place as such, as it is typically local with the plastic chairs etc. but with a very nice atmosphere at the same time. We took food from the buffet and paid 25.000 dong each for a plate full of different types of food, and got the local ice tea for free. Unfortunately, we didn't have the chance to go again.

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Cheap food, Cooking class
Silke
Silke

Great food and cooking class

Posted on 10 / 26 / 2014

We found this place on our way to the beach. There is a big sign "Quan Chay" (vegetarian restaurant) outside.

Unlike the other reviews it looked like a regular restaurant to us. They have regular seating and a small menu with 3 choices (also in english). The food wasn't anything special but delicious and cheep. We also tried their special lotus milk which I can highly recommend!

While waiting for our meals we had a little chat with someone who introduced himself as a friend of the owner. He told us they opened the restaurant a month ago and confirmed me the name and address when I showed him this listing at HappyCow.

They also offer private cooking classes for $5 per person. This is very cheep compared with other offers in Hoi an so we decided to book the class for the next day. The cooking class was a great experience. The chef took us to the local market and showed us how to cook the local food (spring rolls, tofu with tomato sauce and a soup). His english wasn't really good but also without a lot of words we learned a lot and enjoyed another delicious meal.

When in Hoi an this place is worth a ride outside the town!

Pros: food, cooking class, lotus milk
finelikesicecream
finelikesicecream

vegan food cooked by a nice lady

Posted on 03 / 07 / 2014

First I have to say, I didn't expect to be invited by a nice lady to her house. It doesn't look at all like a restaurant, more like her own private kitchen and she it seemed more like she cooks something she has at home when someone arrives. Was a bit hard to find, so check google maps first and follow the signs to this vegan restaurant.

The lady just started to cook some food for me, there were not any choices, but I liked the food a lot, even though I wasn't sure what everything was, maybe there was also some fermented beans or fermented somethingelse included.

She and her son were super friendly and she sat all the time with me and we talked about being vegan and other stuff.

The food was cheap, cannot remember how much though.

Pros: family atmosphere, cheap
Cons: no options

Rebercelle
Rebercelle

I must have gone on a bad day....

Posted on 10 / 08 / 2013

After reading the glowing reviews on this site I decided to have lunch at Hong An.

It was empty and didnt look like anyone was there. The lady who ran the restaurant came out and was lovely and offered us a drink.

My boyfriend and I were told that they only had the rice dish on offer which was fine.

We asked for Pepsi and we were given mineral water which was poured into 2 extremely dirty glasses. I am by no-means a clean freak but these glasses still had bits of gunk stuck to them.

At this stage I wanted to leave but couldn't bring myself to do so as I felt extremely rude, so we stuck around to see how the dish would go.

It took about 15 minutes to receive our dish which consisted of steamed cabbage and carrot, a huge pile of white rice, stale tempura shrimp and something that resembled a moldy artichoke but tasted like beancurd skin.

To say that I was disappointed is an understatement. I read all of these reviews and saw that it had the highest rating for a vegan restaurant in Hoi An, so I had higher expectations.

Compared to the quality and freshness of food you would generally get in Vietnam there was no excuse for this, we ended up going around the corner and getting a fresh papaya salad and fresh spring rolls from another restaurant at the same price.

The reviews on Trip Advisor are a little more accurate.

Pros: vegan, cheap
Cons: dirty, comparitively bad food
greenvk
greenvk

Traditional Vietnamese Family Food

Posted on 01 / 25 / 2013

Something different indeed. As mentioned in the other reviews, it's run by a vegan family from their house. Don't expect a lavish dining setting. If you're looking to experience the more traditional side of Vietnam, this is for you. This is simple, tasty and super cheap. There isn't really a menu (a white board on the wall), but you are served a selection of dishes. The family are extremely friendly animal lovers, and speak ok English. Meal cost around 90k Dong with some drinks for two people. Reasonably clean for what it is.

Pros: Super Cheap, Different, Tasty
Cons: No Real Menu, Not Easy To Find
VMFGG
VMFGG
  • non-vegetarian

Incredible

Posted on 01 / 14 / 2012

Wonderfull food and people, super cheap, don't miss it.

Pros: Super cheap, Very good food, Nice people and place
Nibbler13
Nibbler13

Wonderful find!

Posted on 01 / 08 / 2012

We were walking down the main street, toward the beach when we saw a little sign that said "vegan restaurant" what a joy! It was a little past the sunflower hotel on the same side. We had an excellent lunch buffet for three with two fake beers for usd 5$
Fake meat and fake beer, I am in heaven!

Pros: All vegan, N/a beer, Nice people
Cons: Hard to find
paemoses
paemoses

Little gem hidden in an alley

Posted on 09 / 26 / 2011

We went on a rainy night with a typhoon approaching the coast so were the only guests. Hong An is well hidden at the end of an alley about 200 meters from the main road. There are several signs but only the intrepid would keep going up the dark alley.
The family greeted us in a very welcoming manner (the dog did not). There was not an extensive menu (only 2 dishes on offer) noodle soup or the local noodle dish, Cao Lau, which we had. The food was very tasty and the family quite chatty.
Our bill was US3.50 including drinks.
Would have liked a few more dishes to choose from but no other complaints.
All vegan food - hosts vegan.

Pros: cheap, tasty, friendly hosts
Cons: hidden in alley, limited choise (none really)

Dear Owner and Manager of Hong An: