Serves meat, veg options available. Wide selection of wholesome, locally sourced organic breakfasts, lunches and dinners, including lot of vegan/vegetarian/gluten free options. Serves organic coffee. Previously named Bread and Roses Cafe. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Non-veg

First Review by vegangela
ErinJanus
ErinJanus

Homegrown rocks

4 Posted on 10 / 06 / 2013

Never been to Homegrown? You're missing out. Especially if you're into vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free and organic food. Did I mention they have a stage for music, spoken-word poetry and presentations? Or what about the fact that they only serve their organic fair-trade coffee, tea and water after it has gone through a 4-step reverse osmosis water treatment? They often have almond milk, rice milk and and hemp milk for your coffee in the fridge. This place is 'the bomb.'

It's a very laid-back artsy atmosphere. One could call it a hippy haven.

Like a good veggie burger? They have them. (Vegan!) Made in-house from scratch. It's always a bit different each time I try it, but very filling. I make sure to ask for extra toppings and for it to be extra saucy. Sometimes it has sautéed onions. Sometimes it has an awesome home-made garlic sauce on it. Sometimes it's so good that I cry a bit inside. Comes with baked potato chips on the side.

Their desserts are mainly organic, often vegan and sometimes gluten-free. I believe there are a few raw desserts sometimes, too. The chef is always whipping up new creations. I am in love with their almond power bar. Must try.

I can't say enough good stuff about this place. But if you want a cool place to relax, get a coffee, a veggie burger, some vegan treats, take someone on a date, book a music performance, work on your sketches or writing... Homegrown is where you want to go. But don't tell too many people or it will soon be an overflow of hipster teenagers who feel they are superior to you hogging all the tables. It's that cool.

Updated from previous review on Friday April 05, 2013

Pros: Mainly organic, Gluten-free options, Vegan options
Cons: They sell meat, They sell dairy
krissimi
krissimi

Basic lunches

3 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2013

It's nice to see more and more places offering options that are vegan and vegetarian friendly. That said, there is room for improvement here. They have some good options and are on the right track. They have started a suspended coffee program which helps people have free coffee who can't afford to buy one.

Pros: location, price
Cons: simple choices, nothing i crave
DangerGirl
DangerGirl

Great food, great atmosphere.

4 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2013

I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food at this hipster coffee spot. I had the sauteed Tempeh with hummus and red onions on wheat bread. My dinning companion had the veggie burger. Both dishes we simple and delicious. The eclectic surroundings make for interesting conversation. My daughter loved the odd light up disco ball thing perched on top of the antique cigarette machine. The service was great and very friendly. I can't wait to go back!

Pros: Good food, Good service, Fun atmosphere

vegangela
vegangela

Very Helpful Staff

4 Posted on 09 / 16 / 2012

When my friend and I were there right after they changed over I was newly gluten-free. The staff was extremely helpful and went above and beyond to find a vegan&gluten-free option for me. The coffee was amazing, the food was tasty, and the service far exceeded any expectations!

Dear Owner and Manager of Homegrown Hamilton: