Holy Cow on Willamette

Serves meat, veg options available. This is their second location. Extensive menu from around the world, with vegan and gluten free menus available. Patio with weekend music in the summer. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, American, Indian, Central American, International, Salad bar, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg
2621 Willamette St (26th)
Eugene, Oregon 97405
541-852-4659
  • Wheelchair accessible

First Review by DawnOfTheRent
Goodywink
Goodywink

Organic Food, Great Variety, Locally Sourced

4 Posted on 02 / 01 / 2014

I was really surprised to see the negative review below for one of my favorite restaurants. I just joined Happy Cow, after years of using it whenever I travel, and I must let readers know - The Holy Cow restaurant is exactly what I try to find in other cities (usually unsuccessfully!).

First off, their food is organically grown and non-GMO. That's really important to me. I'm not a junk-food-vegetarian, and when I eat out, I want to eat real, whole, organic, and preferably locally-sourced food. With disclosed ingredients!

My favorite dished are their Indian dishes (the saag, and the vegetable curry or korma), which come with tasty chutneys as sides. My second favorite are their Carribean and Latin American dishes. Apparently, the owners have traveled a lot. They also have great soups, a salad bar with house-made dressings, and a daily special. They have local beers on tap, really tasty seasonal ciders, and kombucha on tap. Love that kombucha!

Another key feature - much of their menu is gluten free and corn free. Plus, the staff will give you the ingredients book to check any ingredients in the food! That's really amazing, and a lifesaver for me, as I have food allergies.

Holy Cow is the sort of place I can take clients for a casual meal or drink, and always know that my clients will be able to find something to eat- no matter their food sensibilities. I've met clients here who clearly were more accustomed to eating at Denny's, and they still found enjoyable food. I recall a couple getting the fish tacos and French fries, and thinking they were some of the best they'd tasted. Those fries really are, I must admit!

Lastly, Holy Cow has a kids menu which is simple, and sized and priced right. I often eat from the kids menu, as the adult menu portion sizes are big. I.E, if I want pad thai, I order the kids portion and just get more veggies. That's a really nice meal.

Pros: great organic food, food allergy aware, friendly staff
Cons: outdoor seating is noisy
eat2well
eat2well

Love Holy Cow!

4 Posted on 01 / 30 / 2014

I don’t understand why there are such scathing reviews. Why the hate? Actually, I do understand why someone who is fanatical about not eating meat (i.e. “They Kill Here”) would trash an establishment that serves it. But Holy Cow is one of my and my wife’s favorite places to eat in Eugene. Yes, they serve some meat dishes (chicken and fish). But like all their food it is all organic, non-GMO (not easy to do these days) and sustainably sourced.

I almost always order the vegetarian dishes at Holy Cow, because they are delicious. My favorites periodically change between the Thai Tofu and Pad Thai dishes to the Shiitake Stirfry (not on the menu anymore) and Calypso Tofu. I also really enjoy ordering the Saag Paneer every now and then. All of those dishes are very tasty! And the fries are AWESOME! It has always been fun and rewarding trying the daily specials. There is also a salad bar that my wife has enjoyed many times. And we both really appreciate the kombucha on tap.

The owner is friendly and very open to feedback. And the staff is really wonderful. So, I am very confused by 1 star ratings of a place that puts so much effort into quality, delicious foods and friendly service. I know many people who feel the same way I do and hope that they take the time to write a review as well.

P.S. I would give HC a 5 cow rating, but the max rating allowed on this site for places that serve meat is 4 cows.

Pros: Great Food, Sustainable / Organic / Non-GMO, Friendly Staff
The Hungry Vegan
The Hungry Vegan

They kill here

1 Posted on 01 / 18 / 2014

I feel betrayed by Holy Cow on Willamette. They made their brand with their vegetarian food. But this place serves a ton of meat. The veg items are not very good.

Cons: lots of meat at a once veg place, bad food
DawnOfTheRent
DawnOfTheRent

Not that great

1 Posted on 02 / 11 / 2012

We had a falafel and Mashed Potatoes, it tasted bad. I hope it was super healthy, but there are plenty of tastier options in the Eugene area.

Pros: out door seating, clean
Cons: Tasted bad

Dear Owner and Manager of Holy Cow on Willamette: