CLOSED: Holy Cow Cafe

Veggie cafe located inside University of Oregon EMU building. Extensive food menu. Call for vacation days that coincide with University schedule. This location is all vegetarian although their new location serves chicken and fish. SHUT IN JUNE 2014 PER OWNER. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, American, International, Fast food, Salad bar, Take-out, Catering
2222 E 13th St (University)
Eugene, Oregon 97401
541-346-2562

Open Mon-Thur 10am-7pm, Fri 10pm-3pm.

First Review by Richard Myers
kindlizard
kindlizard

Not healty nor vegan

2 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2011

*Updated w constructive feedback already.

I have eaten here when I spent a lot of time on campus. Always as a last resort, Holy Cow [b]CAFE[/b] offers some true Cafeteria style food. Pasta that is mush. Sauces that are overly salty. Most entrees are undefined, by which I mean they are mushy piles rather than the distinct vegetables from which it was made. They at least provide some local juices and coffees (both organic), which is both helpful and a trap if entering hungry.

One lovely day on campus, I made a constructive criticism to the male owner who was working the line. It was to offer a low sodium alternative. You will see on the website (listed above) in their nutritional info that the King Creole burrito has 1200mg of sodium, which equals 45% daily intake, which I believe is excessive. That's only for what they have to list. What they don't list is the info for their in-house sauces and such. I bit in half a chunk of salt that hurt my mouth the lovely day I made this suggestion. Unfortunately, my compassionate suggestion was not received well, nor was his reaction to me pleasant. At the time his cafe was new and I was offering advice, since that (particular) dish was Vegan technically but not healthy (though they do have a lot of dairy dishes as well).

Their biggest problem by far is their terrible negative attitude. A courteous response of potential consideration regarding the salt would have sufficed. Their food would still be overcooked, but at least bridges would not be burned.

Why would anyone want to eat 75% of their salt intake at one sitting? It is just not healthy, it promotes bad eating habits and makes you feel awful. Choose healthy eating, avoid Holy Cow.

The 2 Cows are the minimum for a Veg est. It means "Needs Improvement". Holy Cow Needs Improvement in the following areas: reduce sodium in the entrees or offer low-sodium alternatives; a change of attitude to all customers, both real and potential; stop selling excessively high sodium burritos marketed to kids (see website), perhaps set up timers in the kitchen as to not overcook everything ~ college kids like to chew; and simply change attitude.

I think they have a good assortment of brought-in goods, such as the coffee, juices and chocolates available. However anything they make in-house needs to change.

Bad food & attitudes.

*They kill animals now in new location. Sorry to have ever given them any $$ to do so.

Pros: brought-in coffee, , juice and , chocolate
Cons: BAD ATTITUDE, overcooked mush, OVERLY SALTY
  • oregonveg oregonveg

I don't understand how 45% sodium intake = 75% sodium intake in your mind. I checked the website, other than the king croale (which is discontinued) most of their items are around 20-30% daily sodium, which is pretty standard for something to be shelf stable with no preservatives. You picked the highest sodium product and than almost doubled it without any reason. How do you know the sodium content of their cafe dishes? seriously? I usually add salt to their dishes.I was motivated to sign on to happy cow just because of how much I disagree with everything you posted about the Holy Cow, which is my favorite spot. You hurt your mouth on a chunk of salt? seriously? Were they using large chunks of Himalayan salt? You are calling one of the healthiest most sustainable restaurants in Eugene unhealthy because you got a freak piece of salt on a lovely day. The only item I ever found remotely salty was the thai tofu which was delicious. To each his own.

• kindlizard kindlizard

Silly, if one serving is say 35% of your daily intake of sodium and there are two servings in one burrito, and you are a college student, that math of two servings times 35% equals 70%. I ate there when I was in school, I ate there before they were in the EMU and were in the Jiffy Market on Hilyard (which was worse, I would find plastic in those meals), and I ate there when they were in the Village at Fair. So don't act like I don't know there is a metric ton of salt in everything they make. I have talked w Anton and Kat about it. They acknowledge there is a ton of salt. Anton said that's how he makes food. Salty. Yes, there was a chunk a bit into when I commented to him. You seem young. You likely don't have a wealth of culinary experience. I'll leave it at this: it is not healthy, nor is it texturally pleasant (often mushy noodles etc). You like salty food as you posted above; so you likely appreciate HC for such a reason.

• kindlizard kindlizard

Say you had one of those monster salt burritos and a side. The sides no doubt have plenty of salt as well, it is NOT isolated to the burrito, tofu thai, tofu nuggz, or any other singular item. Everything there has a shton of salt. You may want to educate yourself on salt a little if you need to add salt to their food. you can hurt yourself doing that... plus ruin your palette, which going by your reviews so far needs all the help it can get. (no offense)

thoor_ballylee
thoor_ballylee

On campus and veggie? Here's where you go.

4 Posted on 04 / 21 / 2011

Some friends and I ate here recently while stopping over at the UofO and thought it was pretty damn good. Lots of vegan options. The food was quirky, kind of veggie fusion. Nothing super special but good, filling foods with variations and twists and the price was reasonable. If I'm ever back in town, I'll definatly stop by again.

Pros: lots of vegan options, salads/middle eastern, /Indian foods.
MarkUser
MarkUser

Overpriced, tasteless

2 Posted on 04 / 07 / 2011

Do yourself and stay away from this place, everything on the menu just has that quantity over quality feel to it, and the prices are pretty outrageous. I think they want 9$ a pound for salad or something ridiculous like that. The burritos are really really bland and my sister actually bit into a rock one time, only to find multiple rocks in the burrito. Sorry but I won't be returning, would give this place 1 star if holy cow let me.

Pros: nothing
Cons: everything
  • kindlizard kindlizard

i bit into a rock one time too and the owner said he really likes salt. check how much one burrito has in it. over a gram! not health food

oregonveg
oregonveg

Local, Organic, Vegetarian and Delicious

5 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2009

Holy Cow is my favorite restaurant in Eugene. They source almost 100% organic ingredients from local farms. As a student I could always find affordable meals (several under $5). I was motivated to post this after reading a review stating that it is expensive. 99% local organic ingredients for under $5 is not expensive in my book. They have 1 meal which is $10 and the rest are cheaper. It is a wonder that these guys can stay in business offering such quality at student prices.

Pros: Local and organic, All vegetarian, Cheap
Cons: hard to find, no in store seating
Guest
Guest

I love Holy Cow

5 Posted on 04 / 16 / 2009

I just love Holy Cow, they have the best salad bar Iin the world! Definitely try their Ranch dressing... it's incredible.

Richard Myers
Richard Myers

It was a good lunch stop

4 Posted on 11 / 11 / 2008

Not being familiar with the university, the cafe was a little difficult to find. The staff were very friendly and accomodating and made some helpful suggestions. We had a tasty and satisfying lunch. We had to wander around a bit to find a decent place to sit while we ate.

Pros: Good variety, good value
Cons: Location, seating

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Holy Cow Cafe: