Hollerei

Vegetarian restaurant with a small garden. Offers Asian-inspired as well Mediterranean food with starters like falafel and pita, main dishes like lasagna, noodle and curry, plus soups and salads. For dessert there's tiramisu and creme brule. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Western, Mediterranean, International, Organic
Hollergasse 9, Wien
Vienna, Austria 1150
+43-18923356

Open Mon-Sat 11:30-3pm, 6-11pm, Sun 11:30am-3pm.

First Review by Mimi
JasminV
JasminV

Expensive

3 Posted on 06 / 28 / 2013

Have been there once recently and tried their "vegan spring " special. the portions have been ok and the food too, the dessert was delicious! i expected more for the price.
also just one waiter, so we had to wait always min. 20 min. for our food and drinks.

Pros: good food
Cons: waiting time, price
Elsa7
Elsa7

Fine vegetarian cuisine

4 Posted on 04 / 06 / 2013

It was lovely to once get fine vegetarian cuisine.
Well prepared, well presented and so tasty.
Loved it.

chicintelligente
chicintelligente

Vienna Favourite!

5 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2012

This is my favourite restaurant in Vienna. They make Asian-inspired food with high quality ingredients, vegetables that are fresh and taste like they have come from a good farmers market. The spices are authentic and the palate is sophisticated. I absolutely adore the lentil soup and the thai curry.

Even though we arrived ten minutes before closing time, and the management was closing down, when I stated that I had really wanted to try the restaurant and had found a taxi just to take us there, the owner smiled kindly and let us come in and have our lunch. The waiter was exceptionally kind and even helped us out by arranging a taxi back to the hotel.

Taste, quality, ambiance, and service, Hollerei Vegetarian has it all!

Pros: Delicious, Well-Presented Foo, Very Helpful and Kind Staff, Tasteful with Nice Ambiance
Cons: A Bit Far from Centre
Tara HD
Tara HD

Hit-and-miss

3 Posted on 01 / 20 / 2012

I ate at the Hollerei 4 or 5 times so far. I've had the best vegan food in all of Vienna there but unfortunately also really mediocre food twice already. Especially the main dishes are a hit-and-miss while I always enjoyed the salads, soups and the only vegan dessert they usually have: the Tofu dumplings (I love them!).

The last time I ordered the "crispy seitan rolls" which were totally soft and chewy (in "Viennese" I would say "lätschert") and there was so much thyme in the dish that every other taste was submerged.

I will probably still go back there and try my luck again.

The staff could be a bit more attentive. Prices are a bit high, though not excessive for Vienna.

Pros: Food can be really excellent, Tofu dumplings (dessert)
Cons: Food is not always excellent, staff is a little inattentive
devinmarsh
devinmarsh

Worth a try

4 Posted on 07 / 01 / 2011

Everything here was delicious and is definitely worth a visit. The menu is in German but the waitress was really helpful and went over the entire thing with us. She even selected a great wine. While the desert was not my favorite, I can see how a vegan would love it.

Pros: Great selections , Great service

EP
EP

Why only in Vienna ?

5 Posted on 05 / 22 / 2011

Fantastic respite from Continental food - what a treat. Lovely seats on top of the heating vents a plus in the winter.
Outstanding food, with changing, exciting dishes. I go there evert time I am in Vienna, despite them being a bit out of the center of town. Come hungry. And thirsty - trust their wine recommendations. What a treat.

Pros: Food. All of it., Wine list, English speaking staff...
Cons: Distance from center city
cmayr
cmayr

Beautiful and delicious food near Schönbrunn

5 Posted on 05 / 02 / 2011

The Hollerei was the culinary climax of our trip to Vienna (that is if you don't count the Kaiserschmarrn at Cafe Central). The garden is lovely, the service was super friendly and the food was of outstanding quality. Never have we tasted a salad dressing this delicious, the asparagus was perfect, the risotto a dream, the thai curry was seasoned perfectly and the dessert finished the meal in style.
The table next to us featured a guest who was allergic against everything but water and the staff did everything to accomodate him. Super service!
Updated from previous review on Monday May 02, 2011

Pros: super service, the garden, excellent food
Cons: not cheap, off the beaten track
Anna Reimstein
Anna Reimstein

Yummm

4 Posted on 02 / 03 / 2011

I used to live literally around the corner and would sometimes eat there with my mother (wasn't a vegan then, just vegetarian). Last year (then vegan!) we went there for my birthday.

All vegetarian, but two or three vegan dishes and delicioooousss. Like, really. And I love the location - pretty insides, pretty outdoor seating area - an arbour (:

Pros: the arbour!, very good food
Cons: expensive
judas_77
judas_77

my favourite in Vienna!

5 Posted on 01 / 22 / 2011

I live in Vienna very close to the "Hollerei".

It is one of my most frequent local to heave lunch, every day different and since years very good.
The price for the menu (11:30 am to 3 pm) is at this date 7,2€ for the main dish (MD), 8,5€ for the MD and salad or soup and 10,5€ for all three.

Since last year they are non-smoker, have a low carb/vegan dish and also open on Sunday.
They have also a small but nice garden.

I'm a frequent user since 6 years and we had some "family events" there - every time very good, not the cheapest but for sure one of the best in Vienna!

AnandPatil
AnandPatil

One of the best Vegetarian Restaurant in Vienna

5 Posted on 11 / 26 / 2010

I was at a conference at the Vienna Airport hotel in Sep 2009 and was getting bored repeatedly eating the single vegetarian pasta dish at the hotel restaurant. A hotel conceirge recommended this restaurant and I am glad I took the effort to go there.

It was a welcome change that I could eat everything on the menu. One downside is that there is no English menu but the service staff did their best to translate. Contrary to some other reviews there are vegan and low-carb options (with limited choice).

If you are here around September time be sure to taste the young wine - STURM - it was fabulous.

I had the Mango Lassi, Garlic quiche (starter), Couscous main dish and the chocolate cake desert - and all were excellent.

We were a group of 12 people and I had dragged some sworn carnivore and they too appreciated the food.

It is not the cheapest place to eat but reasonable - €30-35 per person for a three course meal with a drink.

Hope this helps.

Pros: Innovation, Autheticity, Choice
Cons: No English Menu
Paul Robinson
Paul Robinson

Houston Visitor to Hollerei

5 Posted on 06 / 29 / 2010

I was on vacation in Vienna, and decided to visit Hollerei while there. I enjoyed a wonderful Tibetan soup (julienned vegetables, tofu and ginger flavor), along with the Moroccan Couscous plus garbanzos and other vegetables. Very light, tasty food, great service by David, and a friendly atmosphere. Easy to get to on the UBahn...just a short walk from the station. Nice outdoor patio, as well as nicely decorated indoors.

Pros: Good value, Excellent food, friendly staff
CLRtraveller
CLRtraveller

tasty food, not cheap

3 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2009

I walked from the Schoenbrunn U4 stop, less than ten minutes. It was a very hot day, and most patrons were on the vine-covered patio, but I sat indoors. I had a goulash - pasta with a creamy mushroom sauce and a glass of lager. Not cheap, but tasty.

Cons: German-only menu, not vegan
jas8t
jas8t

• raw

Yes, veggie but all carbs

3 Posted on 11 / 28 / 2007

The food was good, not great. Every dish was carb loaded as well containing either noodles or potatoes, even the salads.

Pros: atmosphere, location, friendly
Cons: smoke, carbo load
  • AndyT AndyT

Please read the book 'The China Study' ( http://www.thechinastudy.com/) to find out why you should actually be getting 80 % of your calories from carbs...

Mimi
Mimi

Vegan Food near the Schonbrunn Palace!

3 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2007

We walked from the Schonnbrun Palace to the Hollerei - about 10-15 minutes. The food looks and tastes good, although the choice for vegans is limited. We had taboulleh, spring rolls and the noodles. Fresh and enjoyable. Portions on the small side - 'nouveau cuisine', and so felt a little expensive! Smoothies good and freshly made. Indifferent staff.

Pros: Fresh and Tasty
Cons: Small Portions

Dear Owner and Manager of Hollerei: