Hoku Foods Natural Market

Full selection of natural and organic foods. National brands, local produce, bulk bins, gluten free, raw food. more-less
4585 Lehua St (behind the Dragon Building, in downtown, Kauai)
Kapaa, Hawaii 96746
808-821-1500

Open daily 10am-6pm.

First Review by veganmiss
Chancita
Chancita

amazing for the location

3 Posted on 03 / 21 / 2014

This store has a decent selection of general items. We were thrilled with their gluten free chips (Beanitos). They also carry a few types of Daiya cheese and goat milk yogurt. These were life savers for us. They have some different products than I've seen at home, like GF veggie burgers that were great (Hilary's). Several brands of raw coconut macaroons that are excellent snack food while travelign teh island. As far as I could tell, they did not have one single brand of roasted nut butter - they were all raw and $$. Expect a very large mark up on everything. The produce is very limited and VERY expensive - check the local farmer's markets for that. Also, even though I shopped this store 5 of 6 days on the island, they are not friendly - it didn't even seem like they recognized me after 5 days in a row.

Pros: get things you can't elsewhere, healthy staples to get you through
Cons: prohibitively expensive, not so friendly staff
bigbopper
bigbopper

• non-vegetarian

Poor Marketing Customer Decessions

2 Posted on 06 / 15 / 2013

My wife and I both have been big users of this market for years. I recently however purchased a bottle of SALAD Dressing didn’t have my glasses that day so couldn’t read fine print till I got home. When read I discovered the SALAD Dressing had enough sodium in it for 3 bottles of dressing. I took the bottle back next time I was in the store just expecting to trade it out as I was in there buying other items! Well I was informed that without my receipt they wouldn’t even trade it out. This is a $5-6 bottle of SALAD dressing and I am standing there ready to check out with $60-75 worth of new purchases in my hand. I only keep credit card receipts a few days and didn’t have the one for the SALAD dressing with me. BOTTOM LINE they refused to exchange the SALAD dressing without it. My only choice to be true to my beliefs on customer service was take my SALAD dressing and purchase no new items further from this store. It is a shame I liked their store and they lost a customer who only ask for an exchange and on a customer average spent $175.00-$325.00 a month in their store. Certain decisions involving customers and service can be made in a vacuum and hurt everyone-this was a stupid one!

Pros: Very Decent selection
Cons: Badly need help on customer service area
AuthenticHealthCoach
AuthenticHealthCoach

Hoku Foods Rules!

4 Posted on 05 / 09 / 2012

Hoku Foods is probably the best health food store on the island of Kauai. It has the best prices and a great bulk section. It also has some nice fresh produce, but the fresh produce section is quite small. So it's best to stock up on dry goods and bulk items here and go to the local Farmer's Markets for fresh tropical produce straight from the farms.

Hoku also does not have a deli.

Pros: Low Prices, Great Bulk Section, Vegan Dry Goods
Cons: No Deli, Small Produce Selection, Closes at 6pm
trinitybourne
trinitybourne

Fantastic store in Kapaa

5 Posted on 02 / 07 / 2012

This is my favourite store in Kauai. It offers a good section of fresh organic produce and health food items. The energy is really nice in there... with an 'authentic' vibe.

I am always able to find whatever I need. The 'weigh your own section' is good value too.

Pros: Value for money, good produce, authentic vibe
Cons: none
veganmiss
veganmiss

Great Health Food Store

4 Posted on 12 / 22 / 2011

Large health food store with many vegan items and brands.

For a complete review, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2011/09/vegan-kauai-hawaii-part-one.html

Dear Owner and Manager of Hoku Foods Natural Market: