Hobos Restaurant and Bar

Serves meat, veg options available. Menu includes vegan food, and the chef/owner will sometimes make vegan items which are not on the menu - ask about it. Uses local farmers market produce. Kitchenware is cleaned before preparing vegan items. Try the veg meatloaf sandwich made from cracked wheat, tvp, and vegannaise. Pleasant atmosphere. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Organic, Take-out, Delivery, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by LSDlocal
Plant Powered Eater
Plant Powered Eater

Outrageously Delicious Food Tailored to Dietary Needs

4 Posted on 07 / 05 / 2014

We eat vegan food with no added oil but our children (adults) eat a more typical American diet. We chose Hobos seeking a dinner we'd all love. It was awesome! There were plenty of vegan & vegetarian choices on the menu. When we asked our server about a no-oil preparation, she assured us it would be no problem, & the chef came to our table to consult our preferences & to offer a number of suggestions. We left happy & filled with delicious food!

Pros: lots of vegan & vegetarian options. great food. a
Cons: none
stonecat
stonecat

Delicious But Expensive

4 Posted on 06 / 19 / 2014

Delicious... Vegan mac and chz (which ive never liked any place else), tempah blt (messy but .... oh yeah), and egg plant neopolatin with cous cous (best of all). Food is so favorable and satisfying. However, not cheap.

Pros: Quality
Cons: Cost
slithers
slithers

Friendly, Funky place with Vegan options

4 Posted on 06 / 18 / 2014

Of the places I've been on the peninsula (only Salisbury, MD, Ocean City, MD, Bethany Beach, DE and Rehoboth Beach, DE), Rehoboth was my favorite area, as it has the beach town staples (beach, boardwalk, thrasher's fries) but also some funky, artsy and queer-friendly parts. Hobos Restaurant exemplifies the character of Rehoboth, with some artsy touches (weird mannequin art), friendly, easy-going staff, some unique cocktails and an anything-goes menu.

The omnivorous menu contains a number of vegan and veganizable items, more than are obvious at first glance (e.g., the philly "cheese" steak) and I suspect one of the owners may be vegan or vegetarian. All but one of the desserts were vegan by default.

I enjoyed my cocktails and my taste of my sister's Vegan Mac (pasta & cheezy sauce w/ vegetables on the side), but I did not enjoy my meal; however, I am going to chalk that up as an anomaly because it was a special for VegFest (it was day-old tamales containing nothing but corn and spices, left over from their vegan buffet the night before) and because my sister has been there a number of times and enjoyed other vegan items. So I'm giving it a 4 because if I were nearby, I'd happily go again and get something off the regular menu.

The owner had an adorable new baby puppy which she was carrying around (& everyone was fawning over) - it's that kind of relaxed place.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday June 18, 2014

Pros: artsy, relaxed atmosphere, vegan options, friendly staff
Cons: be skeptical of specials
veggiefox
veggiefox

Delicious

4 Posted on 04 / 18 / 2014

The food was delicious. Their menu changes, but if they offer their wild mushroom quesadilla, grab it! The service is very friendly. The cost will be around $30/person or more, but it's everything you would expect for that money.

And nice art on the wall. The atmosphere is certainly informal, but classy.

Pros: delicious food, friendly service
Cons: Pricey
VeganTracey
VeganTracey

Best Meal on Vacation

4 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2013

Hobos is a must see. There were delicious entrees for all, including vegans. I had a Beyond Chix vegan chickenless salad that was delicious and my son had vegan mac and cheese with a side of perfectly cooked mixed vegetables. We make sure to make it to Hobos every time we are in town.

Pros: many vegan/vegetarian options available

Scorpion7480
Scorpion7480

Excellent food... Lots of vegan choices

4 Posted on 06 / 20 / 2013

The food is a little pricey but def worth it. The portion sizes are huge and the food tasted great. They have a vegan chef and can make any dish vegan.

Pros: Great food, Great selection, Friendly staff
Cons: Expensive
kathyarena
kathyarena

• raw

EXCELLENT Menu for ALL types of HEALTHY Dining!

4 Posted on 04 / 24 / 2013

My diet is Raw/Vegan..before going to Rehoboth early April for a get away I searched for a restaurant that served Raw . Hobos looked like a possibility, so I called and spoke w/owner chef Gretchen. She didn't hesitate on preparing Raw for me. She is totally knowledgeable about all types of diet and her menu reflects that. All food is clean, non GMO and organic as possible...vegetables, fish and meats too. My fish and meat eating friends had delicious dinners and the portions were generous. So at our table we had one extreme (Raw) to the other (grass fed Filet Mignon)...with wild caught Salmon and organic stuffed hugh pork chops in-between. Her menu also offers Gluten Free options. Truly a place for all of us! Did I mention I ate dinner there every night! :)

Pros: Healthy Clean Whole Food, Delicious generous portions, Accommodating to different diets
limupoi
limupoi

Yummy Vegan Mac & Cheese

4 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2012

On a recent visit to Rehobeth, my husband and I ate at Hobo's 4 times. Three of those times I had the mac & cheese-it was the best I've had in years! Everything we had was delicious and fresh. The servers asked about veg/vegan/allergies before going over the menu, and understand each. The servers were professional and friendly. The portions were just the right size.

Rarebird
Rarebird

Just don't get your hopes up...

2 Posted on 06 / 28 / 2011

I really want to love Hobos, but they're making it hard. I appreciate having many vegan choices, Daiya cheese, and Vegannaise. What I don't appreciate is the grossly inflated prices and inconsistent food quality. We've been to Hobos 4 times now, and 2 of those 4 times the food was either bland or else not as stated on the menu. This most recent time, we ordered the veggie burger with all the fancy fixins' and it was under-seasoned--down right bland, really. The fries were good. My partner ordered her usual favorite, the vegan chicken hoagie. Besides not even being on a hoagie roll, there was a tiny amount of seitan and grilled onions, way too much vegannaise, and a whole HEAP of lettuce and tomatoes. It looked like a salad with a vegannaise-soaked burger bun underneath. With two iced teas and the tip, we paid almost $50 for this lunch!!!!! We'll probably give them another chance, but if you go, keep in mind that you have a 50% chance of being very disappointed.

Pros: Daiya, Vegannaise, Lots of vegan choices
Cons: Inconsistent food quality, OVERPRICED!
BrucePgh
BrucePgh

Slightly Disappointing

2 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2011

I was there over Memorial Day Weekend 2011. I was very excited to find a vegan-friendly restaurant. The menu seemed promising, but I was taken aback with the smothering nature of the staff. They almost seem to swarm around the table. I inquired about one particular item that I thought I would like and asked if I could have it without onions...the waitress was very stand-off-ish over the request and said she's ask. She returned and said the cook said no....NO? I told her I was willing to try it as long as the cook tried to use as few onions as possible and make it a bit more well-done that normally. When I received the entree, it was nothing at all as it was described in the menu, and the cook did nothing to accomodate my onion request. I tasted one small portion, and it was awful. The waitress never returned...so I threw enough money on the table to pay for my coffee and side salad and walked out without eating the entree or paying for it. I might be willing to entertain returning and giving it another try, but as they say, "only one chance to make a first impression...."

Pros: At least it's vegan.
Cons: smothering staff, unaccomodating cook, misleading menu
Birgit
Birgit

Dissapointing

1 Posted on 09 / 27 / 2010

My husband and I went for dinner to Hobos and were excited about the vegan/vegetarian/organic menu.A lovely waitress helped explaining the menu choices and we decided to go for the Chilies Rellenos and the Porcini Tamale...and save some room for dessert instead of going for an appetizer.After a while the chef/owner? came to out table,with the menu in her hand,putting it on the table saying,that she forgot to take the Chilies Rellenos off the menu,and they were out of them since yesterday,and she would give us a minute to pick something else.
We picked the Buddha bowl and ordered it after she came back a long while later.
When the food arrived,we looked at the plates and the Tamale looked dark brown,sprinkled with dark brown mushrooms,not even the slightest hint of decoration.It tasted very bland and oily and my teeth were crunching on the sand in it.My husband tried his Buddha bowl and declared it okay.We switched our plates and I was disappointed about the unspectacular flavor,the heavy oiliness and the avocado that looked more brown then green in the bowl.We were both quite hungry and did not even finish what we had on our plates.The waitress did not ask us again,when we hurriedly asked for the check,if everything was okay,or if we changed our minds about the dessert,which we decided not to dare to try after being so disappointed about the food.Compared to an excellent and reasonably priced dinner at Saketumi(Japanese restaurant in the area)the food was way over prized.
We will not go back, as this restaurant lacks creative,flavorful,lovingly created food.

• BrucePgh BrucePgh

Wow, could you make it anymore obvious that you either work at or own that Japanese restaurant??

christinemariefitz
christinemariefitz

Best place in town

4 Posted on 07 / 17 / 2010

We came here initially because we heard a share of the profit from our lunch would benefit the local animal shelter. I was first impressed by the funky yet elegant decor and the extensive menu. There were tons of creative vegan options for me and some meat options for my family. Once the very friendly waitor found out I was vegan he brought out Gretchan the chef and introduced me. She greeted me with a big hug, told us about he menu and how she got started and said I could order anything from the lunch or dinner menu(because I was so impressed with the vegan section). I had the Chile Rellenos with Sweet Potatoes, Butternut Squash and Daiya "Cheddar" and started with "Cream" of Artichoke soup made with cashew cream. It was DELICIOUS! One of the best vegan meals I have ever enjoyed (and I've lived in NYC). Not exactly cheap but not too expensive for local organic, gourmet food. I highly recommend Hobos, it's worth travelling for the ambiance, warm staff and amazing animal friendly food.

Pros: Excellent food, Very friendly staff, Local organic produce
Mark Ratkus
Mark Ratkus

"Hobos": strange name, great eatery

4 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2010

With two carnivore friends, I went to Hobos due to its listing on Happy Cow, and I wasn't disappointed. This spot is not for those on an economy budget, as the appetizers ran in the $9-12 range. We ordered a vegan red wine (yes, they exist) that was tasty (a merlot), and fairly priced at $30 per bottle. Nonetheless, my 15-layer vegetable tart that looked to be too small was tasty, and it turned out to be quite filling. My friends had filet mignon and fish, respectively, and loved their meals. The $3 charge for bread ought to be removed--it made a place that seeks to draw an enlightened dining crowd appear to be "cheap."

Pros: Excellent food, helpful staff, pleasant live singert
Cons: no gnoshes
Deborah11186
Deborah11186

So delicious!!!

4 Posted on 05 / 16 / 2010

On our second visit to Rehoboth, my partner and I passed Hobos on a long bike ride and thought it looked like a place we would love with its fascinating mannequin art outside. We went there for dinner, and everything we put into our mouths was so delicious. We are locavores/pescatarians, so the menu fit our wants & needs. We did the 3 courses for $30 (quite a bargain for the amount of food and the lobster!), and I started with the Crab, Artichoke, and Brie Dip. The dip was divine; however, it came with bite size pieces of toasted baguette, which were very oily. They were delicious, but I would have preferred simple bread because it seemed too rich after a few bites. Next, I had the Lobster Arugula salad, which had giant pieces of perfectly seasoned lobster - well complimented by the nutty greens and creamy (but light) dressing. For dessert, I had some sort of chocolate cake that was like warm pudding. My partner ate the hummus, a vegan pot pie, and bread pudding if I recall correctly. All equally delicious to my choices. We cannot wait to go back! We will make a stop here each weekend away in Rehoboth!

Pros: excellent food , atmosphere, friendly/knowledgable staff
Blue Hippopotamus
Blue Hippopotamus

AMAZING vegan cuisine!!!

4 Posted on 05 / 08 / 2010

My vegan bandmates and I (Blue Hippopotamus) had dinner here and the food was absolutely amazing! The chef is vegan and she is So talented. The atmosphere was really wonderful, elegant and fun. They had very nice live music the night we were there. They even make their own organic vodka which was very good in the fresh cucumber martinis we tried. The asparagus that was with my 15 layer vegetable tart (incredible!) had been picked the day before, talk about fresh and delicious! We can't wait to go back to this place! I recommend checking out their website too. The chef is going to have a blog on there soon and she really has a gift. I'm hoping to learn her trick for making the best collard greens I've ever tasted :) The chef told me she hopes their place becomes more popular the the veg beach crowd so that one day she can make it 100% vegan.

911scmadness
911scmadness

Yummy!!!

4 Posted on 04 / 18 / 2010

You need to travel to Rehoboth Beach, DE, just for dinner at HOBOS! Wow what a find. You can bring you carnivore friends, family etc... they won't be disappointed either. Gretchen the Executive Chef made us feel at home and was a wonderful host. The Eggplant Pot Pie was decadent, along with the Gnocchi, and Stuffed Portabello... the dinner menu changes every night so what you see on the website may or may not be 100%. We came from Baltimore for a long weekend... and could see making a day trip (2.5 hours each way)to eat at Hobos. Calling all VEGAN Foodies... you oasis awaits.

Pros: All menu items were delicious, Atmosphere was great, Fit for Foodies
Cons: 2.5 hours from Baltimore, Huge selecton, small stomach
jamestyack
jamestyack

Vegan Meat Out Dinner

4 Posted on 03 / 21 / 2010

On our first visit to Rehoboth Beach we were lucky enough to find this great restaurant (did a quick search on the beach using happy cow app!). Hobos was holding a special event supporting PETA and all food was vegan. The chef and owner Gretchen Hanson had prepared a great selection of food. I especially enjoyed the eggplant pot pie with cashew cream onion gravy. Normally the restaurant serves meat and dairy too, but vegans are always accommodated and all produce is carefully sourced from local farmers.

The staff were incredibly friendly and welcoming taking time to explain the menu and checking for food allergies. Gretchen was checking in with all the punters making sure they were happy and well fed. Loved the interior space; kind of eclectic with eastern flavour, Mediterranean influence and Rehoboth-beach-house thrown in for good measure. Beautiful, small outdoor courtyard with water features, Buddha statue and interesting plants, and another indoor area to chill out with sofas. Must be great when things hot up for summer season. Make sure you book for evening meal!

Pros: good vegan options, locally sourced food, great space with freindly staff
Cons: not strictly veggie if that bothers you
LSDlocal
LSDlocal

hobo-heaven

4 Posted on 08 / 13 / 2009

Rehoboth's newest gem Hobo's is not to be missed. My dinner last week was fabulous. The veggie tart is out of this world! For my future Hobo-eaters I have a few tips and tricks to share. Although the restaurant is veg friendly, it helps if you give them a heads up via a quick phone call/reservation so they can prepare accordingly. Aside from being veg-friendly, they also cater to gluten allergies and any other dietary need-- just don't ask the chef to compromise her recipies for the heck of it--trust me on that one. Speaking of the chef, Gretchen doubles as executive chef as well as owner, quite the task that keeps her busy in the back. However she still makes time to come out and speak to "special" tables to address concerns, and if not her--you can bet whoever does come to your table knowns what is up.
In short, fabulous restaurant, charming decor, wonderful food- just call ahead and let them know you're coming!

Pros: fresh, local ingredients, organic, environmentally concious

Dear Owner and Manager of Hobos Restaurant and Bar: