Serves meat, veg options available. Previously named Tupelos World Cafe this eco-friendly cafe offers international cuisine with emphasis on local and organic ingredients. Has vegan and vegetarian choices. Try the galam masala curry dish with tempeh and banana-ginger-spiced smoothie. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, International, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by allieann
veganblogger
veganblogger

Kind people, tasty food

4 Posted on 07 / 04 / 2013

In contrast to many of the other "vegan friendly" restaurants in Boone, the Hob Nob Cafe is a winner for sure. It's definitely the easiest place to eat vegan in town. The servers are kind, understanding, and accommodating. They make sure to help you order your food vegan, and there are always vegan specials on the menu.

They have fantastic cocktails and vegan desserts, not to mention a wide range of seasonal offerings and different plates. Their menu is versatile and extensive with options from a fantastic greek salad (get avocado instead of cheese and tofu!) to rich, delicious noodle bowls and enchiladas. I love the atmosphere and staff here. They always remember you and that you're vegan and are happy to help. They also have a fantastic green smoothie with spirulina and raspberry juice!

Pros: excellent waitstaff, vegan friendly , great drinks
dwdrummond
dwdrummond

A good place with good service

3 Posted on 04 / 27 / 2013

The atmosphere and service is good. They are flexible in making the food as vegan as possible. The food itself is OK, not really especially tasty. It's a great place to turn to when there is nothing else in town, but it does lack that desired WOW one hopes to get when spending the bucks to dine out.

Pros: Atmosphere, Service, Variety
Cons: not really tasty
iriairi
iriairi

Great food; Very pleasant experience

4 Posted on 06 / 12 / 2010

we had been hiking near Boone/Blowing Rock, and were looking for a place to eat. Before we left we had checked out the list on Happy Cow had programmed the map. Mellow Mushroom in Blowing Rock was closer, so we started there and having an unpleasant experience (found meat on our mega veggie), we got our check and left and went to Hob Knob, which is what we should have done in the first place.

My husband and I split the Devinewich and the Chiang Mai Tofu noodle bowl (lunch menu). The food was excellent. Loved the sandwich. Service was very attentive. I felt that the price was reasonable for the portions. Helped finish the day off right. Highly recommend this place, and will be back. Would only recommend they consider carrying a vegan (or egg free) dessert alternative.

Pros: Excellent food, Very friendly staff, Good atmosphere

Helen Phillips
Helen Phillips

Tupelos

4 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2010

I'm so glad these owners are back in business! What fantastic food. There's a great variety and every dish I've tried is super delicious. Try the Devinewich, for sure! Curries; vegan breakfasts -- everything is wonderful.

Pros: Best vegan food in town, varied menu
Cons: closed Mon & Tues, opens late, for breakfast, parking can be tight
hungryhungryvegan
hungryhungryvegan

great vegan options

4 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2009

I'm not a local but I found Tupelos World Cafe on Happy Cow and can't say enough good things about our dinner. The Cafe is comfortable, the staff was attentive and conversational. Our group (two vegans and one veggie) were more than please with the food. I recommend the Santiago Plate and the Blackened Tofu Devinewich. They also have an incredible beer selection with unheard of prices. A great choice fo vegans looking for a good meal in Boone.

Pros: Vegan Friendly, Great Beer Selection, Friendly staff
snowy11480
snowy11480

Great Place for all !!

4 Posted on 06 / 18 / 2009

I love eating here when i go to visit my parents! i liked it when it was Angelica's and still love it as Tupelo Cafe. Last time I went I had the Blackened Tofu Sandwich is a side salad - Yum! Their salad dressings Rock! and my sandwich was so tasty - great bread, tofu cooked and seasoned perfectly. I had a soup but can't remember now which one. My mom ordered the nachos - loved them. My dad had The avocado tempeh melt which looked great and he really bragged about it. I love the intimate setting inside too. highly recommend this place!

Some issues I had - seems there is more meat and fish on the menu now as Tupelo Cafe than previously as Angelicas. Kinda bummed about that though there are still plenty of Vegetarian options. for me as vegan it seemed there were some great veg choices but they were covered in cheese! but - you can always request no cheese easily. I will say that they were very willing to work with me to make anything i needed vegan and/or gluten free too and the staff seemed knowledgeble about what was/wasn't vegan or gluten free.

Yes, the service is slow (often times very slow). If you go in NOT knowing that, its irritating for sure. But we know its slow so - when we go, we make sure we have plenty of time and just relax! If you are pressed for time i wouldn't recommend it. Save it for a day when you aren't and can go and take your time. And i do feel that when i get my food, its fresh and hot. So the wait is worth it.

Pros: Many Vegan Options, Gluten Free options too!, Nice little cafe setting
Cons: Service is Slow, Small Parking Lot, a lot of meat entrees now
lizaycock
lizaycock

Amazing vegan fare

4 Posted on 03 / 21 / 2009

Tupelos has a new menu out with vegan items labeled. Anything with a star beside it can be made vegan. For breakfast: Americana Tempeh scramble, Cuban Tofu scramble or smoothie: Big bang and Green sun are favorites.
Vegan lunch items:Avocado Tempeh sandwich,Blackned Tofu Divinewich (amazing),Mumbai Rap ( yellow curry wrap), Sweet potato enchilada, Greek salad, Spinach tamale. Dinner: They always have a vegan soup, Nori Rolls, Santiago Plate,Yellow curry, and a CHiang Mai tofu salad. I love this place. If you have slow service...get over it. Life is not about eating quickly. Enjoy yourselves.

Pros: Warm Ambiance, Organics, Excellent food
tater_tot
tater_tot

a reincarnated cafe does not disappoint...

4 Posted on 01 / 12 / 2009

When I heard that the (purely vegetarian) Angelica's had shut down, I was really disappointed. But I soon perked up after hearing that the owners of Angelica's had created Tupelos World Cafe in its place. Unfortunately, TWC now serves meat in addition to some of Angelica's old veg favorites, but their food is still amazing!

I highly recommend the Avocado Tempeh Melt -- a mixture of sauteed veggies, jalapeno jack cheese and perfectly spiced tempeh topped onto fresh, homemade bread. Also, the sweet tanginess of the Garam Masala Curry (with the tempeh or tofu option) is quite tasty... and vegan!

The staff is friendly and helpful, so questions and concerns about ingredients are welcome. So sit back, relax, and enjoy your globally inspired meal in this unassuming, mountainside spot.

Pros: creative, flavorful cuisine, friendly staff, great downtown location
Cons: it's no longer Angelica's :(, odd seating arrangement
Guest
Guest

best food in town!

4 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2008

i regularly eat here with my boyfriend and we both absolutely love this place. i was a little bummed to see angelicas go but i have been told that the owners of this place were the original oweners of angelicas, so you know the food is going to be good. the service isn't always great but when it is not i think it's because the server is most likely new, and not as knowledgeable about the menu yet, even though they should be. the servers that i see in there regularly and have been working there for a while are wonderful- super friendly and they know the menu (and soups too!). hopefully it won't be too long until the new people are trained better. if i had to say though i would recommend eating during their breakfast and lunch shifts. the service seems to be better and the food is usually fast (unless the place is packed, then i would not recommend it if you are in a hurry). it is not a fast food resteraunt. all food is made to order and i think the only have about 2 or 3 people at the most cooking so the wait can occasionally get up to 45 minutes if it is really busy, which isn't really all that uncommon anyway. if you're really hungry, get an appetizer! or go somewhere else. tupelos is awesome and i think it is a great place to eat.
my recommendations:
-red curry thai burger
-espinaca grande
-santa fe chicken salad
-tempeh scramble
basically everything is good. i've never had something from there i did not like. i think they have their menu online too. tupelosworldcafe.com or something like that.
also, they just started serving liquor drinks and they have the best drink menu i have ever seen.
give it a try, decide for yourself.

Pros: healthy/delicious food, friendly staff/most give great service, great location
Cons: food takes a while when they are busy, some servers lack experience, small parking lot
  • tater_tot tater_tot

Um, a few of your recommendations list meat dishes, which is not what Happy Cow is about. I would edit your review by omitting said dishes... thanks!

allieann
allieann

lousy service, subpar dinner

2 Posted on 07 / 24 / 2008

this restaurant was formerly called "angelica's". my husband and i ate there on our honeymoon 3 years ago and were thrilled with all of the tasty vegan and vegetarian options; there were so many that we could barely decide.
we decided to come back 3 years later with our 16-month son after looking at their menu on-line. almost all of the food was labeled "spicy" and there was only one specifically vegan dish. once we got there, we decided we should get take-out instead of dining there and had to wait almost an hour...the children's menu seemed great but when we got back to our hotel, lacked the steamed veggies that were labeled in the description. our service was terrible and both of our meals (blackened tofu sandwich, which was hardly cooked and enchilada royale, which was boring) plus a kids menu item was $40. when i asked the server what soups they had that were vegan, she said she didn't know and didn't offer to find out. on top of this, i didn't even get any salad dressing!
safe to say, i'm sad that angelica's is gone...

Pros: great wine & beer menu, convenient location
Cons: poor service, boring food

Dear Owner and Manager of Hob Nob Farm Cafe: