Hoa Sen - Nha Hang Chay

An extensive menu that includes traditional Vietnamese breakfast soups, hot pots, stir frys, clay pots, baked tofu dishes, salads, and sandwiches. The majority of the dishes contain soy or wheat-based mock-meats. Nice atmosphere with high ceilings, linen table clothes, lots of plants. Casual. Try the lemongrass tofu and the pho bo/ga, and bun rieu (vermicelli crab with a tomato base soup). Meals are served with hot tea. The menu is translated into English but the staff has very limited spoken English. The prices range between 15,000-35,000 dong. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Vietnamese, Juice bar, Take-out

tofu-on-a-stick
tofu-on-a-stick

Real Vietnamese

5 Posted on 01 / 28 / 2014

This is a traditional, large Vietnamese Buddhist restaurant. You will see people inviting the monks etc there. As such, it is a good Vietnamese experience, but not the small "Quan" for everyday.

The food is good, but typical also. This means a wide range. My VN friend liked the food and she is very choosy, so it gets an authentic tick. It does stand up well to other places. The prices are standard.

We had a hotpot (Lau) one time, and rice another time.

For some reviewers complaining about the lack of flavour, the problem is a lot of VN vego dishes are not strong. But something braised with pepper (kho tieu) or Tofu with lemongrass and chili (Dau hu xa ot) are stronger, and it is traditional to add chili or sauce at the table.

Lastly, comments about free tea made us laugh - that is standard for the vast majority of local restaurants and cafes in Vietnam.

It is 4.5/5 as a real VN place that I enjoyed. Have to round it up to 5 for HC!

Pros: Good food, Authentic, Pleasant
Cons: Not much
HeraldingChaz
HeraldingChaz

Expensive for what it is

3 Posted on 12 / 11 / 2013

Prices were quite expensive for Vietnam - cheapest at 35000 VND for a plate of veg, and then progressively higher for rice and noodles. You can't really order a main dish, so for 2 people it would work out quite expensive to get 4 things for a whole meal. In a lot of Veg restaurants in Vietnam you can get a simple main of white rice + veg, or pho for around 15000 VND.

Ordered bok choy and mushrooms (good) and water spinach with ginger (turned out to also be boy choy and without much ginger). We ate a glutionous rice dumpling wrapped in a banana leaf from the take-away stand out the front too (8000 VND each) as this was much better value!

Pros: Free green tea, Glutinous rice dumplings to take-away
Cons: Expensive for what it is
meatisfordummies
meatisfordummies

Amazing!

5 Posted on 05 / 09 / 2013

One of our favorites in Vietnam. Ate here 3 times in 2 days, including sandwiches from their lunch cart out in front of the sit down restaurant. Large menu, seems to be all vegan. Packaged cookies for sale were delicious and one of the few places we found baked goods in the whole country. The sandwiches were the best deal, $.75 each for take-away, but the rest of the menu was relatively inexpensive as well. Great location (just 2 blocks from the Dreams hotel with it's own amazing breakfast buffet).

Pros: delicious food, vegan cookies!, location
BradenPollock
BradenPollock

Outstanding!

5 Posted on 03 / 10 / 2013

The food was great. Large menu. Super fresh. Good service. Delicious shakes. Great value. (Each entree is about $2). Five entrees, 3 shakes and tea for 3 ppl was $12 total.
Updated from previous review on Monday February 25, 2013

missrunning
missrunning

Clean place with an extensive menu

5 Posted on 01 / 21 / 2013

This place was one of the most cleanest restaurants we've been in almost three weeks in Vietnam. They offer a wide range of meals. The fresh spring rolls are delicous, and so is the Hot Pot.
Almost no english is spoken here, and they only offer alcohol-free beer, but the tea and as well as the juices are very good!
We've been to this place twice and would love to have one restaurant of this kind nearby in Germany :-)

brummkeks
brummkeks

thumbs up for the fresh spring rolls & sandwiches

3 Posted on 01 / 12 / 2013

We ate there twice but didn't like the cooked food too much (we had the mushroom hotpot, fried tofu malaysian style, sauteed vegetables) as it was boring and with hardly any taste.

However, the fresh spring rolls (7000 dong per piece) are served with a delicious peanut sauce and are the best we had so far - and we tried many! Also, the take-out sandwiches are very good and great value.

Pros: free tea, great sandwiches, best spring rolls
Cons: cooked food tasteless & boring
procrastinasian
procrastinasian

Worth a visit

5 Posted on 05 / 16 / 2012

We ate twice at Hoa Sen, and got to-go items from the little stand in front of the restaurant twice.

I wasn't crazy about the crab vermicelli soup, but the Hue soup was good. Be aware that the won ton noodle soup does not contain any won ton! Unless I was brought the wrong dish, I suspect that the "won ton soup" has won ton, and that the "won ton noodle soup" has all of the same broth and veggies as the "won ton soup" but instead of won ton, it just has vermicelli. I was a bit disappointed, as I thought I'd be getting both won ton and vermicelli. You live and you learn.

The coconut shake is delicious (fresh coconut and ice blended), the three beans milk good, and the tea is tasty as well. We at the ice and suffered no ill effects.

We also tried the banh bao (good), and two types of spring rolls (also both good). The banh mi is tasty and super cheap (only 10k). My favorite thing might have been the savory banana-wrapped steamed cakes sold in front (I'm not even sure what they're called) for 8k. We had them once, and I tried to go back later to get more but they were sold out.

There is a small selection of packaged cookies near the front. We tried the ones that are rolled up like fat straws, and they were excellent. Only 25k for a fairly large bag of them, too.

Overall, while this wasn't the very best restaurant we tried in Vietnam, it was quite good. It's clean, and the prices are very low. I wish we had one like this in Toronto.

Bonus: there's a cute resident dog who looks like Falcor who can sometimes be seen wandering around in or near the restaurant.

Pros: Cheap, Good food
Cons: none!
seow sang
seow sang

Evaluation of food ingredients used

2 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2011

During my 10 days tour in Dalat,I almost having my meals here daily. On one occasion. I ordered the dish of braised tofu, to my surprised,its texture as spongy as hard rock! As I never tasted such tofu in my life like that elsewhere. I suspect that it used a kind of frozen mocked meat ingredients. I was disappointed with it.

Pros: cheap, cook to order, food well presented
Cons: use too much frozen mocked meat
hzanville
hzanville

delicious veg food in dalat

4 Posted on 06 / 27 / 2010

My husband and I were actually looking for a Au Lac, but stumbled upon Hoa Sen and decided to give it a try. We were very pleasantly surprised with the quality of food. We had vegetable bread, malaysian tofu, fresh spring rolls, and a spicy beef pho all for about 4 U.S. dollars. The staff doesn't speak any English, but much of the menu is translated.

fire horse
fire horse

Ok if in the area.

3 Posted on 03 / 19 / 2010

It looks upmarket from the outside but seriously lacks atmosphere once inside. Minimal (not in a trendy way). Clean enough.

Almost no english spoken but they have some dished translated into english on the menu.

The food was OK - well presented but not that tasty. The service mediocre. The free white tea was nice. Popular with young Vietnamese dating couples which is sweet.

3 dished came to £2.

Pros: free white tea, proximity to some hotels
Cons: english very limited, staff not very helpful

Dear Owner and Manager of Hoa Sen - Nha Hang Chay: