Hoa Khai Vegetarian Restaurant

Features over 100+ all vegan food dishes on its menu; some of the drinks reported to contain dairy. The restaurant is large and has air conditioning. Group reservations and discounts available. Easy to get to by cab from Ben Thanh Market which will cost you approximately US$2. A 3 minute walk from Pham Ngu Lao. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Beer/Wine, Vietnamese

First Review by flyingfox
rusty shakleford
rusty shakleford

yummy in my tummy

4 Posted on 05 / 15 / 2014

Two highly, highly recommended soups: banh canh AND bon bo hue. They're both quite filling as meals and only 25k ($1.25), but a couple of fresh spring rolls (8k each) don't hurt if you're looking for more. Iced coffee is 10-12k ($0.50), but it is hard to convince them you don't want sugar in it. No milk? No problem. No sugar? You must be crazy, no one drinks that... As other reviewers mention, the menu is fully translated but the servers don't speak English and hover while you read the menu and while you pay the bill; that's the Vietnamese way. Still awesome (I'm a 3-7 Times a week regular :D. )

Pros: outdoor patio misting pipes keep it cool, yummy coffee, best noodle soups in town!
victoria may
victoria may

nice noodles

4 Posted on 01 / 11 / 2013

Went to this restaurant for breakfast this morning, was very easy to find from the pham ngu lao area and sat on the front terrace and enjoyed two delicious bowls of hu tieu noodles for 25.000 each. Food was good and the staff were very friendly, menu had english translations. :)

procrastinasian
procrastinasian

Not vegan - serves dairy

3 Posted on 05 / 16 / 2012

The food was ok. My husband liked it better than I did. The room was nice, felt clean, and the air conditioning was very welcome. Prices were higher than other places we visited on our trip, but not outrageously so.

We had a pretty difficult time conveying that we don't eat dairy. I was able to order an avocado shake without it, but it took two tries. I *think* there was only dairy in the drinks, but I'm not entirely sure.

The waitress was nice, but she hovered over the table as we looked at the menu and constantly pointed out random dishes and tried to get us to order things. I would have much preferred being left alone for awhile to decide what we wanted in peace. I realize that it's not unusual for waiters in Asia to stand next to the table while you decide what to order, but her behavior was way pushier and more intrusive than we'd experienced at any other restaurant.

We tried the bird's nest, which was tasty but had a little bit of a chlorine-y odor, a noodle dish, and the fried chicken wings.

Pros: Clean, Nice interior, Air conditioning
Cons: Relatively expensive, hovering waitress, dairy in some items

Miff
Miff

Average food

3 Posted on 05 / 01 / 2012

Food is mediocre. It was okay but just a bit bland. It was expensive for what it was.

Pros: Big selection and interesting options, Central walk able from district 1
Cons: Price a bit high for the quality of food
Carovegan
Carovegan

Very good restaurant

5 Posted on 03 / 07 / 2012

We were very happy of the restaurant. Food, staff, price... All was good! I'll go back there for sure!

Crustina
Crustina

Worth a visit

4 Posted on 01 / 13 / 2012

Nice big place with good atmosphere. Although no-one spoke a word of english, there was an english menu, so it's not that hard. Menu was extremely well assorted... we were two people and went for the chicken wings (as recommended here) for starters. They smelled a bit funky, probably because of the "fish" sauce - so if you can hold your breath while eating, I'll also recommend them :-)
We had "beef" with potatoes (super great taste, had been barbequed) and chicken legs in sweet/sour sauce. It's worth having a few dishes to share if you are more than 1 person.

Pros: Big menu, Cheap for westerners, Close to main hostel-area
Cons: No english speaking staff, no fan (gets quite warm)
darrylyoung
darrylyoung

Nice vegetarian restaurant in Ho Chi Minh City

4 Posted on 01 / 10 / 2012

As two travelling vegans we were excited about the idea of there being a vegetarian/vegan restaurant fairly close to where we're staying in Ho Chi Minh City. The restaurant is quite large with seating both inside and outside. The staff speak very little English but when we were trying to query if the 'fish sauce' was vegan one of the staff showed me some paper saying "all food is vegetarian". After a couple of months travelling in SE Asia we've come to the conclusion that the word vegan doesn't really exist here and that vegetarian usually means the same thing. We ordered a sweet and sour tofu soup, chicken wings with fish sauce and some noodles with beef. All the dishes were nice and were quite generous portions.

I've mentioned that this place is vegetarian and not vegan like it says on here because they offer yogurt and fresh milk in the beverage section. Other than that there's a very large menu of vegan food. The price wasn't too bad - it came to around €9 for all the food I mentioned and a couple of drinks each.

The location shown on the map is wrong as it shows the pin at the point where two roads meet. If you're walking south down Nguyen Trai you should get to where the map here shows you then turn left (almost back on yourself). It's a few hundred metres down there on the left.

Pros: large menu, reasonable price, fast service
Cons: no english speakers, quite greasy food, not in the central tourist area
gallivantingnomad
gallivantingnomad

Hoa Khai

4 Posted on 12 / 21 / 2011

Great place to eat. Menu in English and Vietnamese. The staff don't speak much English but after all we are in Vietnam. The chicken wings were great :)

Pros: Price, Atmosphere
flyingfox
flyingfox

Good place, no English

4 Posted on 10 / 18 / 2011

I managed to locate the restaurant about 250m further down Nguyen Cu Trinh St. than shown on the Happycow map (it is shown at the corner of Nguyen Cu Trinh St. and Nguyen Trai). The restaurant looks pretty good and the food tastes pretty good. And, yes they have an English menu and they have a very nice selection. However, the "best" English speaker I found was a waiter whose comprehension is about 10%. I couldn't communicate "take away", "no ice" "can I have a glass please" "wet" or "dry". He knew "good", "yes" and "no".

You are limited to sign language or what you can find in a phrase book. Or you can try what I did. Try to look "in need of help" and approach other (Vietnamese) diners and ask if they would help translate. A very nice lady helped me, and presto!

Pros: Taste, Ambience
Cons: very limited English

Dear Owner and Manager of Hoa Khai Vegetarian Restaurant: