Serves meat, veg options available. Delivery or carry-out only, no dine-in. Could order pizza in four different styles (Detroit, Chicago, LA, New York) and can be made vegan with vegan cheese and toppings like vegan sausage and tofu. Also makes vegan cheesy breadsticks, cinnamon breadsticks, BBQ tofu subs, and vegan calzones. This restaurant is Michigan family owned, and the soda served is "Home Grown Faygo". Previously named Pizzallica. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Pizza, Take-out only, Delivery, Non-veg
121 E 13 Mile
Royal Oak, Michigan 48067
248-733-1111
Closed now

Mon-Wed 11:00am-2:00am, Thu-Fri 11:00am-3:00am, Sat 1:00pm-3:00am, Sun 1:00pm-2:00am

First Review by Cassidy
Vegtravel4
Vegtravel4

good vegan food. weird vibe.

Posted on 03 / 09 / 2014

So, let me start this by saying I'm not complaining about a Daiya pizza and vegan cinnamon breadsticks in Royal Oak Michigan! One of my husband's best friends live here so we always end up getting Hippies when we visit.

And we love it! It's tasty and I always return for more. The place definitely had tons of "character." Now the details.

PROS:

Daiya. Cinnamon sticks. Delicious dough. Vegan pizzas on the menu!

CONS:

The people who work here can be... Quirky! Maybe even slightly less than professional. For example:

When ordering vegan butter for the crust, we were told it wouldn't be as good as real butter. :)

She asked if we were both vegan and said it was "too bad" that we were, because she wanted to give us free buttery breadsticks. ;) Sadly their breadsticks aren't vegan.

The time it takes to make a pizza is a little lengthy. Last time we were promised 25 minutes. It ended up being 55. We waited in the cold and small waiting area with only a space heater while the workers bickered ... we felt super awkward.

Another time, when I called to order on the phone, I was told to "wait" because I was talking too fast and she couldn't take my order. At a normal pizza place, you could just say "a large X pizza with X" and they would understand. But Hippies is definitely not a normal pizza place. :) It's a special one.

Finally, I do think the food is a little expensive. It's around $20 for a medium vegan pizza... And from there, they up charge you $3.50 for vegan pepperoni.

The pizza here is a hidden gem in Michigan! I just would take your encounters with their workers not too seriously. And enjoy your vegan pizza. You will like it.

Pros: Daiya, cinnamon sticks (vegan)
Cons: wait time, slightly unprofessional staff, cost
xtina0183
xtina0183

Love this place!!!!

Posted on 05 / 23 / 2013

I can finally order pizza that feels like pizza! They have veg pepperoni, sausage and cheese! Plus tons of other great toppings. We order from here all the time. Plus they will make 7-11 runs for you and are open until 3am on the weekends for those late night munchies!

Pros: Veggi Options, Late night delivery, Deliciouse
Cons: Price
Cassidy
Cassidy

Hippies Pizza - Vegan Pizza

Posted on 09 / 15 / 2012

So I have tried Hippies Pizza several times in the past, but I figured I would order a custom pizza this time so the experience was fresh in my mind.

Atmosphere - This location is a bit small and tucked back away from the street. Personally when I go, I like to sit out front where they have a table and a couple bar stools so you can enjoy the day while they prepare your food. The staff on hand is very friendly and welcoming, even when you don't know what you want (like me! lol) most of the time.

Meal - For starters, their menu and topping options are HUGE. I ordered a small pie with vegan (Daiya) cheese, vegan pepperoni, onion, green pepper and mushrooms. So your classic Supreme style pie, but done vegan style. Having never tried Daiya, I was thoroughly impressed. It melted very well over the pizza and wasn't overpowering like your everyday mozzarella can be. Their veggie pepperoni had a somewhat strong spice to it with a hint of pepperoni flavor. One thing that I truly appreciated, however, was that they keep vegan options for a flavored crust. Olive oil and herb, or a vegan-friendly butter with herb. (I, personally, was very fond of the 'special herb' mixture that they have. It tastes great if you ask them to sprinkle it over the entire pie.)

All around, I was very satisfied as I had never tried the vegan pepperoni before this past meal. It's a great option for delivery, or picking up on your way home where you can relax. It unfortunately doesn't have dine-in, as it a smaller business.

Pros: Delivery, Friendly Service, Multiple Vegan Options
Cons: No Dine-In

Dear Owner and Manager of Hippies Pizza: