Ojai vegan and organic cafe serving soups, salads, sandwiches, wraps, quiche, raw food, baked and raw desserts, smoothies and date shakes. Much of the menu is gluten free and soy free. Causal setting. Under new ownership January 2013. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, American, Raw, Take-out
928 E Ojai Ave (Bryant St, downtown)
Ojai, California 93023
805-646-1750

Open Mon-Sun 11am-5pm.

First Review by Veganopoly
VeganMarr
VeganMarr

Amazing blueberry crisp!

4 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2013

Last time I was there, it was a new owner & he said they don't make the amazing blueberry crisp too often now, but that i the future I could call ahead for it. It's simply & amazing. The quiche is pretty good. Simple menu of wraps & such. Attractive place. Happy it's all vegan. The couple who originally started it have started vegan restaurants in various cities, then sold them & moved to another area to do it again, which is cool, nice couple. Love the decor with all the succulents.

Pros: all vegan, nice decor/setting, blueberry crisp!
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

best spot for veg food in ojai

4 Posted on 02 / 19 / 2012

Hip is like the name, a cool little odd cafe where you enter through a side garden small wooden swing door and meander around the back to a crampt counter where you place your order, take a number and select a seat. There was a great guitar player today as we ate our mediocer food. The date shakes were decent, but I wouldn't order carob again, I couldn't even taste it. The burrito was good, but too garlicy. I ordered a rueben w/o mayo or 1000the island and it had both :( but I'd already taken a large bite... Hip is fine and I hate to be hard on them as I can't imagine Ojai w/o them, I just expected too much.

Pros: live music
Cons: messed up order, needs quality control
Chia
Chia

Good food and people

5 Posted on 02 / 06 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow, and here's my Hip A Vegetarian Joint review.

We made a trip to Ojai in Feb 2012 and had made sure to come here for dinner. It's the only 100% vegan restaurant in Ojai (as of this writing).

The place is located behind a yoga studio. You have to walk through a pebbled yard and past a little garden patio to get inside. It's very simple relaxed with seating inside and out.

The two of us ordered several things to share:
- macro wrap with slices of seitan, seaweed, fresh greens, and saukerkraut all rolled up; served with side of salad (good taste, warm seitan, seaweed salty)
- special of the day shepard's pie (warm and hearty)
- chocolate banana date shake (yummy, sweet)
- fresh pressed green juice (customized choice of veggies)
- raw cheezecake (agave nectar sweetened)

The food presentation is nice, and the taste is healthy and clean. I would definitely recommend Hip.

Lily925
Lily925

all vegan

5 Posted on 02 / 01 / 2012

Love that it's all vegan. Excellent choices, great service and prices. Everything I have had there has been very tasty. Their chai tea is just OK but the food is worth trying a variety of dishes.

Pros: all healthy, tasty vegan, good prices and portions
Cons: wish I could get there more often
LengleLalita
LengleLalita

Great place , sweet people

5 Posted on 01 / 11 / 2012

We were visiting Ojhi and wanted a good veggie meal. We found it here.
The only thing I would change is the entrance of the Resturant isn't very clear how to get in but once your there it's great!! Thank God for wonderful little treasures such as this!
What a great rubin! Thanks

Pros: Great food, Nice options

dancingvegan
dancingvegan

OJAI & A VEGAN RESTAURANT? YES!!!!!!!!

4 Posted on 01 / 08 / 2012

Opening the gate off the main street in Ojai onto HIP's property is like walking into the 1960s or 1970s; groovy, funky & HIP!!

On their outside dining area, they had an acoustic guitarist singing mellow songs on the Saturday we went.

Owner is very friendly and the food very good. I had the ultimate burger which was tempeh with a BOWL of delish split pea soup and my friend had the bbq burger with a huge absolutely beautiful salad. Seriously good food.

Word of warning: Try not to go during the height of the lunch hour like we did. We waited around 40 minutes for our food, so thankfully the food was superb!! Just a bit pricey for lunch: spent $29 for two people with no drinks.
Updated from previous review on Sunday January 08, 2012

Pros: Excellent food, Groovy, Ojai
KristiLisa
KristiLisa

Healthy excellence

5 Posted on 11 / 10 / 2011

We eat at Hip regularly and love their food! In fact we will eat lunch and take extra home for lunch the next day!! My current fave is the Ultimate Cheeseburger add avocado add both raw & grilled onions wrapped up in collard greens instead of a bun. Their website is true to their word and you do not want to miss out!

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly/honest staff, Peaceful atmosphere
Cons: Need to be closer to my home, My home.
aliciab
aliciab

great place for lunch

5 Posted on 09 / 18 / 2011

the owners are exceptionally kind, and the food was outstanding. I've been here numerous times, and everything I've had on the menu was great. Try the daily quiche, with cornmeal/spelt crust. Awesome.

Pros: great food, full juice bar
Veganopoly
Veganopoly

Hip Joint

5 Posted on 01 / 11 / 2011

Hip is a new Organic Vegan restaurant that just opened and is located in downtown Ojai. They offer raw, cooked, and gluten-free meal options: all Vegan. My wife, my self, and a couple of friends of ours had lunch there today. In whole, we were very satisfied with what we ate. They have a raw spirulina dessert that was surprisingly very tasty! I had the Seitan B-B-Q sandwich which was very tasty: the B-B-Q sauce tasted home-made. The salads were generously portioned. And the date shake was delish. Would definitely recommend it.

Pros: Vegan, Organic

Dear Owner and Manager of Hip Vegan: