Serves meat, veg options available. Has a lot of vegan options. Try the tofu saag. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Asian Fusion, Non-veg

First Review by gandjwhite
gandjwhite
gandjwhite

One dish wonder...

3 Posted on 08 / 11 / 2013

This was one of the first restaurants we tried when we first moved here to Ventura. I had the Madras Curry. It has a coconut curry sauce with potato and some other veggies over rice. It was amazing! It was so good, in fact, that my wife stopped eating what she ordered and kept trying to take mine. It was so good I wouldn't let her. So, we had to go again so we could both order it. The second time we went, the dish wasn't quite the same as we remembered it. But, we found that if we added a moderate amount of the Himalayan salt that's on the table, it started tasting more and more like we remembered. So, apparently the chef is inconsistent in how much salt he adds to the dish each time. That would be one of my complaints because I want it the same each time. My other complaint would be that it's a little more expensive than I would prefer. I think that dish was $10. I would expect to pay maybe $8. That would prevent us from being regulars there. However, with those rather minor complaints, I must say that curry dish is really, really good when it's done just right! I can't confirm whether this dish is vegan or not. Sometimes Indian dishes have cream and this one may or may not. I didn't ask. So, you may want to double check. The only other dish we tried was what my wife had the first time (Saag Tofu). It was kind of dry--not that great.

Pros: Madras Curry, Atmosphere, They offer a coupon on Restaurant.com
Cons: Slightly pricey, somewhat inconsistent, questionable whether vegan

Dear Owner and Manager of Himalaya: