Himalaya Bakery and Cafe

Serves meat, veg options available. Organic bakery offering meals and cakes. Chef's special for lunch. Filtered water. June 2014 reportedly no longer pure veg. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Bakery, Australian, Western, Non-veg

First Review by ampallang
AnimalsAll
AnimalsAll

Mm-mmm those vegan berry shakes

4 Posted on 01 / 25 / 2014

A friend and I (both vegan) and my two dogs visited Daylesford recently to revitalise. We chose Himalaya for lunch after consulting this website. We sat at a table on the footpath so the dogs could dine with us. The waiter kindly lowered a blind so we were nicely shaded. My friend told him we were vegan - best to state this upfront, sometimes, though I am used to wary or nervous reactions. He smiled and told us vegans were very welcome. Next I noticed that the only milkshakes on the menu were vegan smoothies made with soy ice-cream. Thrilled by this promotion (rather than higher cost option) I ordered a raspberry one, while my friend ordered the blueberry. The waiter seemed unphased about wading through friendly dogs to serve us. Most berry shakes I've ordered have skimped on the berries at the expense of flavour. But these two were deeply coloured and full of flavour - best I've bought in years! My calzone wasn't quite what I'd hoped for (a pastry rather than pizza dough case with a slightly bland filling) but it was okay and served with nice chutney and an abundant fresh salad (dressing on the side). My friend enjoyed her terriyaki tofu salad, which looked impressive. Prices were quite reasonable. Overall, we loved the place and the friendly attitude of passers by (is this the happiest, most tolerant town in Australia?) further enhanced our experience.
Updated from previous review on Saturday January 25, 2014

Pros: Vegan fruit shakes - lots of fruit, Friendly service, Good value for money (qualiy ingredients)
Cons: Calzones could be more authentic/tasty
Tiggy
Tiggy

Fine for occasional visits but inconsistent

3 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2013

We took a trip to Daylesford this weekend, so of course that meant we had to have lunch at Himalaya Bakery. This has been a highlight of Daylesford for me in the past. Looking at the menu, we baulked a bit at the prices: lunchy items ranging from around $13 to around $20. Even coffee prices were at the higher end of acceptable, although it is organic and fair trade. I ordered at the counter, as one does, and the woman at the counter agreed, with some reservation, to let me pay afterwards. First if the orders to arrive was the blueberry vegan shake I ordered, purportedly containing soy ice cream but I saw absolutely no evidence of this. The shake was very sweet but not particularly thick and as I finished it I saw granuley sugar syrup at the bottom of the glass. Not entirely pleasant. Our mains then arrived. I had ordered what I assume is a signature dishe entitled the Himalaya Open Sandwich. With lettuce, tomato, capsicum, avocado and bean dip it didn't sound outrageously exciting but I felt like something light. It was strange using a knife and fork to cut a sandwich, which, even given low expectation, was rather disappointing with little flavour and soggy bread. My partner was happier with his gnocchi. I tried it and it was fine, with Napoli sauce and herb bread (just a tad dry). We ordered desserts from the cabinet - Pecan, Date and Apricot Cake and Sunny Orange Cake and had these with a mugs of coffee/chai. The cakes were dense and incredibly sweet, so be warned. After purchasing a load of bread, the bill came to just under $74. I make only occasional (maybe yearly) visits to this place and perhaps that is why I can still hold on to some fondness for it, but its limitations need to be remembered too.

Pros: Vegan-friendly, including vegan desserts, Organic, fair trade coffee, Organic vegan bread for sale
Cons: On the pricey side, Food not consistently good
Sassy_kel
Sassy_kel

omnomnom

4 Posted on 01 / 11 / 2013

I travelled an hour just to try this place out, rural veg places are sort of rare and so I decided to see what this place had to offer. Given I am rural, I am used to menus that have - if I am lucky - 1-2 vegan items available. I almost wept when I looked at the menu here and saw options for: Vegan, Vegan Option Available, Dairy Free etc... SWOON. Not a lot of room but worth the wait.

Walt
Walt

Gone downhill

2 Posted on 03 / 20 / 2011

No longer vego. Bread doesn't have the same taste. Now serve meat dishes. We had to throw out three pies as they tasted terrible.

Pros: Will not return
Cons: Unclear whether ingredients are still organic, Prices remain high whilequality has plummeted
KingKong
KingKong

Nice cafe on the main strip

4 Posted on 10 / 31 / 2010

Mainly vegetarian but the place is very busy. Reason? They make great bread. Full Stop.
Try their rich Hot Chocolate. Coffee's pretty good too.
Great food. Price wise though, it's ok.
I've paid more for a lot worst.
Great ambience with a nice little corner couch with you want to get cozy with that special someone.

Pros: Location, Taste, Health
Cons: Seating

thelink
thelink

On top of the vegan taste world

5 Posted on 01 / 22 / 2009

When we spent a few days in Daylesford - Hepburn Springs recently, we made sure we had accomodation with a full kitchen so we don't get stuck without food in a town with only one vegetarian bakery / cafe.

Well, we shouldn't have worried so much...

The Himalaya Bakery kept our vegan bellies full for breakfast / lunch and even a (very) early dinner. Our favourite was the vegan burger.

And of course we had to stop for morning / afternoon tea as well, because the vegan sweet treats were so yummy.

The freshly baked breads were also very delicious.

I was glad to see that this small cafe was always packed when we were there. That means it's here to stay. Too many veggie cafes, especially outside the big cities, are doomed because they are too alternative and only attract vegans/ vegetarians and not the broader crowd.

The hard working staff were very friendly and did a great job keeping everybody happy. They always took their time to explain which breads, dishes etc were vegan.

I will gladly walk the 4 km from Hepburn Srings to Daylesford again to get my vegan weekend breakfast rather than opting for the token vegan dish offered in other closer cafes.
(I'm glad though, that there is the occasional bus on weekdays : )

Aloo
Aloo

Legendary

3 Posted on 11 / 29 / 2008

This place has been around for a long time, once had a fire and re-built itself from ashes. While the food is fresh, and the vegan pies are exceptional, I feel it lost a bit of it's soul after the fire. The old place I recall was small and cozy, with a few random tables, and freindly personal service. While the service is OK, it's not the same. The prices are now quite quite steep and I might have paid more in the days when vegan goods were rare. Still worth visiting for the breads, and range of vegetarian foods, as anyone whose vegetarian knows, it's a legendary bakery. They do breakfasts too. But there are many other options around now, so there is no longer the feeling of being held to randsom to get a bit of vegan cake!

Pros: smoked tofu pie, vegan options, Fantastic breads
Cons: pricey, common
ampallang
ampallang

Best vegan baker in Victoria

5 Posted on 11 / 24 / 2008

Fresh bread, All vegetarian and most items can to vegan. Fairtrade chocolate and coffee used in all items. items such as sandwiches with mock bacon or roast vegetable focaccias, vegie pies and vegie burgers... more!!

Great quality food, very tasty.
The freshy baked bread can also be gluten free.

Some desert are vegan and also gluten free.

Pros: many items vegan, centeral location, friendly and informed staff
Cons: not in melbourne

Dear Owner and Manager of Himalaya Bakery and Cafe: