Serves meat, veg options available. Nepali restaurant. Owners are vegetarian and menu includes vegetarian dishes. Vegetarian food cookied in separate pans from the meat dishes. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Nepaliese, Non-veg

First Review by rccourtney
knit-picky-vegan
knit-picky-vegan

Simple, Peaceful, Delicious

4 Posted on 10 / 25 / 2012

This small restaurant is one of the most popular on State St in Madison WI. All the menu choices are as diverse as the patrons who eat at Himal Chuli. Whether you live here and have not been to HC, or if you come for a visit to Madison, I highly recommend HC for its delicious and distinct menu selection. My favorite menu item is - Vegetable Dumplings accompanied by a side of rice, a cup of dal, and a piece of warm roti bread - all filling and very comforting.

Pros: Diverse Menu, Friendly service, Easy on the eyes atmosphere
Cons: When uber busy service is a bit slow
WriterGirl
WriterGirl

Finally good Vegan

4 Posted on 09 / 02 / 2012

We really wanted good vegan food and we had worked our way through many over-raved Madison places only to find the meal of our dreams over there on State Street. We'd read warnings about the high prices so we stuck to the simple Tarkari dishes. They let us have a half and half option of the specials of the day, so we had our rice and two different tastes. It really hit the spot. We will be back.

Pros: great food, quaint atmosphere, warm staff
Cons: Cash only, No receipt, On a business trip
fondducoeur
fondducoeur

Tasty Nepalese Food

4 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2012

My husband and I really enjoyed our dinner at Himal Chuli. They have many options for vegans on the menu, including tofu, seitan, and jackfruit dishes. I had the seitan buff w/dahl and brown rice. It was all very tasty, especially the seitan. The flavor was really good, lighter than Indian food and a bit lemony.
My husband had the jackfruit based katahar kebab which was also quite good.
The special tarkaris of the day both sounded very good as well; we had a hard time deciding what to order.
My only complaint was the price. Our dishes were both $15-16, and the portions were not all that large (plenty for one person, but they couldn't really be split, as I thought would be the case at that price). I feel that this type of dish should fall into the $10-12 range.
That being said, I would definitely consider going back if I returned to Madison.

Pros: Good vegetarian selection, Tasty Food, Nice location
Cons: Price, Crowded
lucerne07
lucerne07

Tasty but on the pricey side for a casual meal

3 Posted on 06 / 11 / 2012

Never one to turn down jackfruit when it's an option, I had a salad and roti with the Katahar Kabob. In it jackfruit is marinated with a blend of spices and sautéed with onions, tomatoes, and cilantro. The dish had wonderfully fragrant and complex spices. It tasted delicious; although, it was on the oily side.

My husband had a salad and rice with the seitan buff, which included big chunks of seitan stir-fried with onions, garlic, mushrooms, broccoli, and green peppers in Mediterranean spices. The dish was savory, rich, and very filling. While I thought the lunch was very tasty, my main complaint would be the price. At around $16/per plate, I thought it was unusually expensive for what it was.

Pros: interesting and unusual, outdoor seating, good portion sizes
Cons: Pricey for lunch
Rob Latousek
Rob Latousek

Healthy and cozy

4 Posted on 03 / 03 / 2012

Reputedly the first Nepalese restaurant in the US. Opened in 1985. Excellent traditional vegetarian and vegan options their specialty. Generally Indian-style cuisine. Daily tarkari specials. Brown rice available. Small, cozy space, which can fill up on busy weekend evenings and lunchtime, in popular State Street shopping area between UW campus and state Capitol building.

rccourtney
rccourtney

Great vegetarian place!

4 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2008

This is my favorite restaurant in Madison. Most entrees are 10-14$. All of the veg food is cooked on separate utensils and pans since the owners are vegetarians as well. Great vegetarian menu which is larger than the meat section of the menu. Potatoes, onions, tomoatoes, seasonal produce ,seitan and tofu are the main ingredients in the dishes as well as spices.
I love this place.

Pros: Large veg menu, veg food cooked on seperate pans, amazing food
Cons: wish it was cheaper

Dear Owner and Manager of Himal Chuli: