First and oldest vegetarian restaurant in Europe, operating since 1898 by the same family. Its large facility has modern decor and is 5 minute walk south of the main train station. Offers many choices and gets very busy at mealtime. English spoken. Offers Hiltl buffet, self-service and takeaway, a la carte menu, a bar-lounge, a cooking studio, and a shop. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Western, Buffet, International, Salad bar, Beer/Wine
Sihlstrasse 28 (Bahnhofstrasse)

hayley.k
hayley.k

vegans dream

Posted on 02 / 03 / 2015

Since going vegan, I've never had so much choice! Especially with desserts! So many options and all so delicious. It's fancy looking but laid back. Little expensive, but it is in Zurich after all. You pay by weight so be careful!

malalaya
malalaya

Food, Food everywhere!

Posted on 01 / 21 / 2015

HIltl is a very classy location but still very relaxed.
Huge buffet to chose from, it took me forever to decide;)
Not all vegan, but clearly marked if so.
The coffee is really nice aswell.
It´s a busy place, so the staff was just ok.

Pros: Choices, Atmosphere
Cons: Crowded
Lauremy2015
Lauremy2015

fantastic and delicious

Posted on 01 / 15 / 2015

Big buffet of vegetarian and vegan food - pay by weight of food. Is expensive - especially if you add in wine. However don't mind paying a bit more for quality food.

sophiefp
sophiefp

huge selection of gorgeous dishes

Posted on 01 / 11 / 2015

Ok, maybe only 65% of the dishes are vegan, but the selection is so wide and numerous you'll still be delighted with the dairy-free offering. The tastes and variety are gorgeous.
This place heaves with locals, so it could be worth booking a table at peak lunch and dinner times any day of the week, even though it has a huge number of tables. Once seated you are not so aware of this, as tables are tucked away in smaller sections, some with their own special character. It is smart and clean, so I'd be as happy here with a business lunch as a family group meal.
Our kids adored Hiltl, including the fun free postcards based on Matisse. It far overshadows their London favourite, Tibits, which Hiltl is now owned by.

Misanthropia
Misanthropia

A must see!

Posted on 01 / 07 / 2015

The Hiltl convinces you with a great interior look. This gigantic establishment is unlike any other vegetarian or vegan restaurant I've ever been to, and the food shows that they clearly know what they're doing. The service is very professional, but the place is mostly fully crowded, so it's often hard to get a seat. It is something every vegan and vegetarian in Zürich needs to have tried, however, I personally would mostly use it to get a coffee in the morning, going there to eat without a reservation is just too much of a hassle. Also, their vegan selection is quite big, and some vegetarian meals can also be ordered vegan, but these are mostly classical asian dishes, which is kind of dissapointing. The vegan meals are clearly labled, and they have a weekly menue, and you can eat a la cart, or from the buffet. Still, a very unique restaurant! When reading the other reviews, keep in mind: This restaurant is located in Zürich, the most expensive city in Switzerland. The prices are no higher than any other restaurant in the region, are fully reasonable, and are in no way related to the Hiltl itself.

Pros: Great interior., Good food.
Cons: Absolutely overfilled., Vegan dishes mostly asian.
SpyraSea
SpyraSea

Piece of History

Posted on 10 / 27 / 2014

This is a must for all vegetarians and vegans. If visiting Zurich, this should be No 1 of the Things-To-Do. If not visiting, start planning! This is a place of history and one can not but marvel at the fact that it was established more than a century ago and is still located at the very place and owned by the family Hiltl.

100 dishes available at the buffet. As you pay by the weight, do not overfill your plate and just enjoy the tastes and the almost wedding-like atmosphere. The best place I have ever been to!!!

Pros: Delicious food, Historic site, Great location+interior
Cons: Buffet not wheelchair-accessible
Psychonaut
Psychonaut

Must Go in Zurich

Posted on 10 / 25 / 2014

I live in Zurich since some years. Thanks to the big and great buffet I go here several times a week.

The Buffet is great, the ambiance is nice. This is a place to take your omnivore friends to as well.

One of the best places in Zurich.
If you eat one kilogram (57 Fr.) you can go for all-you-can-eat (you don't pay more than 1 kg).

Pros: Great Buffet, Good Atmosphere, A Place To Take Omnivore Friends With
Cons: Crowded, Not Completely Vegan
TableForOne
TableForOne

Not bad

Posted on 10 / 15 / 2014

I wanted to visit this place for the sake of history. I went on a Monday evening and it was busy, but there were plenty of places to sit. The staff at the door explained the buffet system and there were quite a few vegan options, mostly Indian style dishes.

The food was good, but very expensive. I had a modest sized plate of roasted squash, garlic, seaweed, quinoa burger and two different daals, and it came to 20chf.

The ambience was a bit like a wine bar and the music being played was slick Euro pop. For the longevity of the establishment i didn't feel like it was as amazing as it could've been. It doesn't hold a candle to Manna in London, which has been around since the 60's and is totally vegan.

Pros: Veg history
barazki-jalea
barazki-jalea

Really good

Posted on 10 / 07 / 2014

I had lunch here the 7th of October, and even if it is vegetarian, they have well labeled the vegan dishes. I took "Herbst Teller" from the menu, and it was really tasty, but they have also a large buffet where you can choose how much and what you're going to it and afterwards you have to weight the food.
For dessert I took a zucchini cake, and it was really good too. I liked it so much.
The was a lot of people inside, it's really busy, but it's worth it to go.
It is a bit expensive...

Pros: Vegan options well labeled, tasty food
Cons: a bit expensive
zroq12
zroq12

Absolute winner ! Excellent

Posted on 08 / 14 / 2014

any vegan or vegetarian should visit this place at any cost.

i will try to describe this place.
it is in the center of zurch , lots of shops and people , good city atmosphere.
the restaurant at the corner is very big and can take more than 150 people if needed.
the looks of the place are modern like you are in the hilton kind of place.it's very classy.
the people that come here are the people that can afford 30 euro for a lunch , they are well dressed, but not the overdressed type.
the place is always crowded , but for a good reason, , the quality of the food, the centre location
let's talk about the food now.
after traveling the world i have seen quite some places , this one in zurich belongs now to my best top 3 that i have ever had.
only New York( Gobo's) , San Fransisco ( Millennium) , and Los Angeles (Cafe Gratitude) were in that top 3 . i mean real quality vegan food with lot of fantasy.

what i like so much about this restaurant is the huge diversity of choices.
it is well organised . even when not everything is vegan , this is not really a problem because there are so many vegan dishes, you won't feel getting short.and all dishes are very clear labeled with ingredients.
you pay by ounce, the more you take from the buffet , the more you pay .
i couldn't resist and went for a second round and spend about 50 euro so far , i know it is expensive but it was well worth it. .i almost would go for a third round because everything is so good here. i still think about the dessert, the vegan tiramisu looks real good. there is also an a la carte from the menu restaurant in the back , it looks chique.
oh this place has free wifi. the staff is friendly and speaks english.you can sit outside with good weather. , when i leave town i will mis this place.
definitely a 5 star place !
zurich is cool for vegans !
don't mis out this one.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday August 13, 2014

Pros: highest quality vegan with fantasy, a real lot of choice for dishes, friendly staff and speaks english
Cons: very expensive, city parking expensive , very crowded, be lucky for a seat
Kathrin
Kathrin

ask a local: good, common vegetarian

Posted on 07 / 08 / 2014

I have been there quite often, it is a Zurich Institution, but not as much an insider tip or cool as they pretend to be.
The food is very good quality and divers (swiss, indian, oriental, more!) If you go there for dinner: eat à la Carte.
Buffet is nice for lunch, when you go shopping or something. You pay by weight, so you may pay attention not to overload your plate.
Tipp: there is free water (tap, perfectly fine), which is rare in switzerland
Other and better tipp: try the buffet for dessert!
Next and even more better tipp: brunch is great! Reservation recommended

It gets a bit boring though, when you've been there a few times. There are rarely new dishes.
They have two books with recipes and new there is a food store around the corner.
The bar turns into a club at 10 pm! Good music, little posh.

Pros: turns into cool club at night, the Brownie
Cons: price (especially when eating buffet), full and noisy on Sat., reservation needed
jvespi
jvespi

Wide variety of dishes

Posted on 01 / 26 / 2014

This modern-style restaurant can presume of a wide variety of dishes in its buffet option. Food has enough quality considering you're eating in a buffet. I found prices a little expensive, but I change my opinion comparing with other restaurants, Zurich is not cheap. I think is also posible eating "A la Carte", next time I will taste.

I only miss a more relaxing ambient, this place is too popular and very crowded.

Pros: History, is a must., Good quality buffet, Situation
Cons: Crowded
Veganmaniac
Veganmaniac

5 star restaurant

Posted on 01 / 04 / 2014

+ Wide international buffet (more than 100 options)
+ Food is clearly marked - Vegan, veg, gluten free, etc.
+ A great assortment of deserts
+ Not far from the station
+ Big restaurant and the ambiance is great

- A little crowded
- Pricey
- Pay by menu weight

Harp
Harp

Impressive

Posted on 01 / 02 / 2014

I was able to make a visit to this restaurant in my recent stay in Zurich:

- The food (red curry, vegan option ) and a vegan pana cotta was mazing.
- The service: superb.
- The vibe: I loved it, specially the bar area.

100% Recommended, a truly 5-star place.

Pros: Food, Service, Vibe
martarsg
martarsg

I love it...

Posted on 12 / 22 / 2013

We went to eat there 4 times during the Summer 2013.
Dogs are allowed inside (we went with 2 dogs). It's a classic in Zürich. Very good food and great variety of vegetarian dishes. It's expensive but like everything in Switzerland, however I think you get a good relation between quality and price. It's also a very cool place and service is quite good and friendly. To try it at least once if you are in Zürich (doesn't matter if you are not vegetarian). Buffet is extensive. It's quite popular, so it can be full of people.

Pros: Place, Great vegetarian Food, Variety of dishes
DonPedro
DonPedro

My All Time Favourit

Posted on 06 / 03 / 2013

It's just excellent. Always make a reservation, as I'm not their only fan...

Pros: Yummie, Friendly Staff, Great Location
Cons: A Bit Pricey
lachat
lachat

Nice for afternoon coffee & vegan cake

Posted on 04 / 20 / 2013

We visited in the afternoon: they had 2 vegan cake choice (on top of desserts buffet): muffin and cookie.

Pros: vegan cakes, all vegetarian
Cons: very busy
bushbaby
bushbaby

Pricey but fabulous

Posted on 10 / 19 / 2012

This is the kind of review a working girl writes when she is traveling around the globe and grabs business lunches in exclusive places. The Hiltl was founded in 1898 and has not missed it's transition into modern times - somewhat intimidating sometimes if you'd like a quiet meal and a mobile phone/ wifi free atmosphere! The Hiltl has a stunning selection of vegetarian and vegan dishes, you can order there à la carte or you can serve yourself at the generous buffet. Let's face it, Zurich isn't cheap nor is the Hiltl. We chose to sit outside and enjoy the sunshine and the city life on the trottoir! I found it fascinating though that if you sit outside you become a witness of an endless testosterone defilé of expensive vintage and modern cars - that squeeze themselves through the tight alleys of Zurich's old town. There is so much gas in the air you might ask yourself: "why bother to eat healthy at all?" But that is just outside and it was a holiday. Inside the Hiltl is all style and fashion, except for a beamer that sports the newest facebook entries of the patrons. I personally enjoy a media free atmosphere more.

Anyway the Hiltl got me because they serve a vegan version of my old favourite when I was an omnivore: Steak tartar! and what shall I say, I went back the next day and ordered some to go. It was delicious! The other food my companion had looked delicious as well but I was so busy with my food I couldn't really be bothered with his couscous and chick peas. I had a water and he had a ginger panaché that tasted really good. We skipped desert because we were out of swiss francs and he had an espresso cooker in his hotel room - and i had saved some vegan chocolate from a supermarket forage in a cheaper region.

Always worth a visit if you don't have keep your pennies together...

Pros: Modern cuisine, Nice curries, huge variety
Cons: Pricey, not very relaxing, to much modern media
Tigra220
Tigra220

Great Red Thai Curry!

Posted on 08 / 09 / 2012

My next order of business after dropping my luggage at the hotel was finding Hiltl. It was easily reachable, large, upscale, and very busy. However, don't be put off the upscale atmosphere; I felt comfortable & accepted in my casual jeans and tennis. I suggest reservations if you have a party and you plan to sit in and eat; I did not plan to do so, but ended up staying anyway. I ordered the Tartar (surprisingly much tastier than it looked), vegan paella (It was so-so. I wasn't impressed), and red Thai curry, which was delicious! My waitress was very friendly and humorous. Expensive, as was expected in Switzerland, so I have no gripes there. Definitely worth a visit if you're in Zurich.

Pros: Delicious red Thai curry, Elegant atmosphere, Knowledgeable/helpful staff
Cons: Switzerland = expensive
vegantonio
vegantonio

since 1898 - oldest in Europe but ...

Posted on 07 / 03 / 2012

you don't see it. Well, if you are in Zürich you will have to try it at least once. You will breath history and still owned by the founders... and although the actual owner is not even vegetarian, Hiltl is in Zürich still a synonimous for vegetarian lifestyle. I was there several times but after a while is getting booring. Today is more a lifestyle club serving vegetarian food. 5 years ago progressive... today I would call it a relict when thinking about the vegan revolution (which did not really touch Zürich). Again.. I would try it at least once.

Pros: A Touch of History, Modern lifestyle, offer vegan food
Cons: not for everyday, missing natural food, missing courage in the kitchen
jacqui
jacqui

Nice buffet

Posted on 07 / 01 / 2012

I planned to eat here during my business trip, but it was so busy at lunch/dinner times it was quite intimidating for a non-local (who can only speak English). I ended up there in the mid-afternoon on my last day when it was a bit quieter, spoke to someone who spoke who explained how to do the buffet/pay by weight and I enjoyed trying a little bit of everything. For a cafeteria eatery, the food was interesting, good variety and was hot.

Pros: Variety, Interesting, Hot food
veg.dan
veg.dan

Great buffet (albeit Swiss expensive)

Posted on 07 / 01 / 2012

The choice in this place for vegans and vegos is fantastic. My body felt better after getting a good dose of tasty variety from the dishes on offer. Went back twice more and I was only in Zurich a day and a half. Sure a good hardy meal at 25-40CHF is expensive but Zurich is expensive so get over it and treat yourself to a good feed.

Pros: Quality, Variety
ajs209
ajs209

Delicious

Posted on 06 / 11 / 2012

Went at Monday 6pm on my own (buisness trip). It was already busy, but very welcoming staff. Had the house speciality of vegan 'steak tartare' made from a mashed up mix of veg and tofu. It was good (especially as I don't usually like meals that pretend to be meat-like). Good range of menu options all showing whether suitable for vegans, allergies etc.

Pros: Helpful staff, Varied menu
Cons: Expensive (but it is in Switzerland)
tapiocawong
tapiocawong

Wonderful Experience!

Posted on 01 / 21 / 2012

It was a wonderful experience in Hiltl. Wonderful food, atmosphere. Cannot miss that!

Pros: Food, Atmosphere, Marketing (why not?)
Tara HD
Tara HD

Food was mediocre

Posted on 01 / 18 / 2012

I was very much looking forward to going to this place because of it's reputation and also the good reviews here. I was very disappointed.

The atmosphere is, well, crowded. The food wasn't good. I was there about 6 weeks ago, so I don't remember everything in detail but I had a vegan paella as a main dish. It looked like a paella but that was the only ressemblance it had with a paella. It just tasted weird. My friends who ordered other dishes weren't delighted with their food either.

Needless to say that it was very expensive - I don't think there is anything inexpensive in Zurich.

On the positive side I can only mention that Hilti is one of the very few places I know with professional waiters/waitresses. They actually know how to serve food and how to interact with customers. In general a very professionally organized place.

Pros: very professional service
Cons: mediocre food, crowded, expensive
psiphi75
psiphi75

Great place

Posted on 12 / 02 / 2011

I have been there tons of times and just love the place. Good vegan selection, although it seems the vegan options are dwindling over time. It is always busy. Yes, it is a bit pricey, greater than average Swiss price. Lots of the buffet options are Indian food. I always go for the buffet because you can always see what you get.

Pros: Lots to choose from
Cons: Pricey
iwanttofu
iwanttofu

Loved it

Posted on 08 / 31 / 2011

Best restaurant of a 2 week trip round europe by 2 picky vegetarians. By far. Amazed at the size of the place! Decided not to get involved with the buffet at all and ordered from the menu. We had the Hiltl tartar to start with- absolutely delicious- and the Geschnetzltes with Rosti. made two people constantly craving austrian specialities very happy indeed. No room for left for dessert but took a brownie (great) and vegan cookie (meh) to go. beer was good and service too. sure, it was expensive, but everything in Switzerland is. wish it was in my town so I could eat there every day.

Pros: huge, fancy, great food
biodynamicgal
biodynamicgal

ONe of my favorite places to eat in the world

Posted on 07 / 18 / 2011

The buffet clearly tells you about ingredients. Great for people who are gluten intolerant or don't eat eggs- or other special dietary needs. Friendly, great food.

Pros: Great selection, fresh rosti is fantastic, nice fruit drinks
Cons: can be noisy, find a quiet place
Eloi
Eloi

good but had better

Posted on 06 / 27 / 2011

There were some good vegan choices in the hot food section but the food all tasted more or less the same and lacked some creativity and love. The prices were very high for a canteen style restaurant which doesn't serve meat

Pros: convenient location, nice staff
Cons: food could be better, very pricy
Chrige D
Chrige D

BEST of everything!

Posted on 05 / 15 / 2011

I am practically tethered to this place when I'm in Zurich. gorgeous buffet with so many amazing vegan choices. lots of fusion dishes, lovely salads and juice bar to live for. i love the history of the place too: first veg resto in europe! the interior design is done by U.K. designer Tricia Guild and feels super stylish, fresh, contemporary and comfortable. easy to relax, eat, drink a chai, do some work or chill with friends. the formal service restaurant is really great too. delicious menu options with nice airy, light filled views. you can also check out the kitchen through glass windows. make a reservation, it gets booked especially on weekends. it's a bit pricey but totally worth it.

Pros: Excellent creative vegan food, healthy and fresh, stylish design
Cons: gets crowded
draeyk
draeyk

bad service, average food

Posted on 04 / 05 / 2011

went there for my anniversary meal ... we were forgotten for 40 minutes after ordering. main was good... saffron rice paella, but dessert was awful! they just mixed mango juice with whipping cream and it tasted of margarine.

update is because i had an extensive reply to my email and review here. i was impressed with their response and hope that a future visit will be more successful. i also improved my rating to fair as they clearly responded well to my critique. i would give them two extra moo's for this as i dont know many restaurants would take the time and energy to do this! well done!

Updated from previous review on Tuesday April 05, 2011

Pros: location
Cons: expensive, poor service, just basically overated
AmericanPhil
AmericanPhil

If you're vegan...

Posted on 01 / 21 / 2011

As the title says, go to tibits. It's cheaper and the same food. However, If you wanna go somewhere for a nice date, this is your place...the menu offers nearly nothing for vegans which is why id say to just go to tibits instead

Pros: Upscale
Aziraphale
Aziraphale

Good food, but cramped space

Posted on 01 / 11 / 2011

The food is very good - there are good reasons why this restaurant is so popular.
I used to go there a lot, but nowadays I prefer other vegetarian restaurants for a nice family night out or when meeting with friends, as they have crammed as much tables as possible into the restaurant - it is difficult to navigate your way to the table, to the buffet, to the toilets ... and it is very noisy. Not the sort of athmosphere I prefer when I want to have a relaxing evening.

Pros: Good food
Cons: cramped space
mucefali
mucefali

very better then other buffet

Posted on 08 / 21 / 2010

It's very better than other buffet restaurant in Zurich. We didn't try the a la carte menu becouse the buffet was very interesting. Very very good.

Pros: veriety for vegan too, location
Hanna Louise
Hanna Louise

Delicious

Posted on 07 / 19 / 2010

Wide selection of flavorful food, with plenty of vegan options. It was a very nice change from traditional Swiss food, where veganism is a ridiculous concept. It's also nice that you pay by the weight of your food, so you don't feel obliged to pile up your plate like in all-you-can-eat buffets.

Pros: tasty food, nice atmosphere
Cons: often crowded
veggieyogini
veggieyogini

good food but pricey

Posted on 01 / 06 / 2010

a huge place with outdoor and indoor seating right in the heart of Zuerich. excellent food (asian and european), friendly staff, but pricey. the modern design makes it quite classy. we ordered from the menu but saw lots of people having a quick bite from the buffet after work.

Pros: good food , modern design and atmosphere
Cons: pricey , noisy
Mohan
Mohan

Delicious Veg

Posted on 12 / 14 / 2009

Although it may not be "authentic" indian, it surely has some of the best vegetarian food in Switzerland! Also, don't forget the meltingly good brownies...

gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Really COOL! amazing food!

Posted on 05 / 21 / 2009

This place is HUGE & expensive! You can sit outside and order al la cart if you've got kids or too unhip to eat at an amazing buffet inside a happening newly redesigned trendy spot. When you get to the buffet grab a plate and just start anywhere you want, there is no real line or direction. What is important is to quickly memorize the translation key to animal products on yellow signs above the buffet. Once you've got that mastered its go time. Pile on 20 bucks worth of vegan goodness in no time and head to the bar and put your plate on the scale and insert your credit card! I highly suggest the local beer, its AMAZING!

Pros: tons of vegan, great food, beer!
Cons: adds up quick, smokers
sherill
sherill

Amazing food and atmosphere

Posted on 05 / 09 / 2009

This place was amazing. Really great food. Lots of vegan options. We thoroughly enjoyed eating at Hiltl. The atmosphere was really nice too. Modern, clean and attractive. Would definitely return.

Pros: Food was amazing, large selection of items, Nice decor
pradipd
pradipd

Excellent

Posted on 05 / 08 / 2009

I was returning to Hilti after a gap of over 10 years. The last time I was a trifle disappointed with the taste, flavors and choices. This time I was overwhelmed! It is much bigger and better! The choices and the quality are excellent. There was not a single item I tried in the buffet that was disppointing. This was combined with excellent service and attitude. Also, I did not find the meal on an empty stomach very expensive by Zurich standards and for the quality. Do not miss it>

Pros: Quality, Flavors, Value
Lqq
Lqq

Busy with a bar

Posted on 03 / 26 / 2009

Buffet food - despite what some reviewers say there are a lot of vegan choices and the there a re lables on the dishes to let you know the main ingerdient - ie if they have milk, cheese etc. I think this was just in German but the staff speak English and are normally helpful (it can get busy and they do seem to have snooty days)
You can take your kids here but it is not quite child friendly - once as we had kids they sat us down and let us pay from the table rather than queueing at the bar, another time they made us queue - which is hard with two under 2 year olds.
In the evening you may not find a seat.
They also have a cook book out.

Pros: Choice, informal, "cool"
Cons: busy
Kiran
Kiran

Super Food, High Price

Posted on 03 / 04 / 2009

I used to go here very often when living in Zurich and was never disappointed by the food. The entire place has a great, lively feel and the menu stays creative and tasty. The only drawback is that the menu prices are pretty steep, even for Zurich. I attribute this to Hitli's immense popularity (supply/demand) but its still not ideal.

Pros: Great food, Great location
Cons: High Prices
Erwin Lengauer
Erwin Lengauer

Outstanding again!

Posted on 02 / 01 / 2009

Since more than 20 years I spend my money for travelling and visiting vegetarian and wine places all over the world.
You will enjou the HILTL if you like a professional modern vegetarian restaurant which offers one of the best wine list I haver seen in an vegetarian restaurant - look http://www.hiltl.ch/en/restaurant.php?id=103.
More than 150 people work at Hiltl to over the best, friendly and very profesionell service I have seen in years.
My only!! critic is that the vegan option are quiet limited.
Besides that its one of the best veg restaurant on continental europe only comparaple with one of my absolute 5 Star Veg Restaurant IL Margutta Vegetariano (Vegetarian Restaurant) in Rom http://www.happycow.net/reviews.php?id=1002

Pros: wonderfull modern atmosphere, the largest and best wine list, fryiendly staff
Cons: could be expensive, should make areservation
gisaster25
gisaster25

Not what I was expecting

Posted on 11 / 16 / 2008

I had imagined that the oldest veggie restaurant in Europe would exude old world charm, serving classic recipes in a cozy timber construct or something. I wanted it to feel like it was so awesome 100 years ago that it hasn't needed to modernize. But the Hiltl I ate at in May 2007 was huge (two levels) and ultra modern with gleaming stainless steel, sleek banquettes, and well-coiffed waitstaff. It was chock full of people, hard to get a table, and difficult to navigate the path to the buffet in such a hectic environment. The food wasn't very memorable. I can only recall creamy scalloped potatoes, the best item on my plate. I was disappointed overall and kind of horrified by the bill. I'm now pinning my hopes on Gasthaus Schillinger near Vienna to give me a proper old world veggie dining experience.

Pros: I guess veg food is popular in Zurich?!
Cons: Hectic, Lacks charm, Expensive
Dedflwrs
Dedflwrs

Outstanding!

Posted on 08 / 01 / 2008

I had dinner with my husband one night and then we had lunch with a friend (who had recommended the place) the next day. The place looks like a very fancy restaurant, impecable... The staff was nice and helpful if slow (although that seems to be the norm in Europe where they seem to be very relaxed). First time I had the Arugula salad and the Casimir. I loved the contrast of the sweet fruits and the spicy rice. Everything was fresh and delicious. My husband had a vegetable platter that looked boring to me but he said was real good. To start he had a Mille Feuille with wild mushrooms (real good!). Next day I had the rice ring with wild mushrooms and my husband had some other fruit/rice dis and my friend had a curry. All was very good. Portions were huge so we were too stuffed for dessert but I've been told is good. Only turn off is the same as all over Europe: everybody smokes but, surprisingly, it was hardly noticeable. As I'm a vegetarian I don't have the problems I have read vegans listing but it appeared to me that there was a good vegan selection.

Pros: Great selection, Nice waitstaff, Fresh foods
Cons: Long wait for service
Marco
Marco
  • non-vegetarian

A classic

Posted on 02 / 02 / 2007

Hiltl exists for more than a century, and it shows: very well balanced dishes and a wonderful 'grand cafe' atmosphere. They keep renewing; in March 2007 they will reopen at their old spot. When we go to Zurich again, you'll find us there.

Pros: terrific food, classic atmosphere
Stevie
Stevie

Hiltl, Zurich

Posted on 09 / 10 / 2006

Eating in this place is quite an experience. It's the biggest vegetarian restaurant I have ever seen by some way (it's huge). The place was still packed though. Huge buffet with an enormous amount of choice. I had to ask staff what was vegan and was accommodated pleasantly enough. Not the cheapest but where in Switzerland is?

Pros: Huge choice, Vegan offerings
Cons: Not the cheapest

Dear Owner and Manager of Haus Hiltl: