CLOSED: Hillside Quickie's

Small vegan sandwich shop located off the beaten path. Features sandwiches made to order, salads, and desserts. Previously named Sage Cafe. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, American, Take-out
4106 Brooklyn Ave NE (41st, University District)
Seattle, Washington 98105
206-632-3037

Open Mon-Fri 11am-9pm, Sat 12-9pm, closed Sun.

First Review by SynthVegan
supadupabee
supadupabee

NEVER open - closed down??

2 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2012

I've passed by this place at least twice I think 3 times and it's never been open despite going there various times of day and days of the week.. I assumed it was closed down but someone just posted a review of it last month. What is going on?? It sounds good so I'd love to check it out, they need to get it together..

jujutsuka
jujutsuka

sandwiches that change lives

5 Posted on 06 / 13 / 2012

OMG. OMG. The best vegan sandwich I had in my life was a couple years ago at this place -- something containing jerk tofu. That sandwich just got bumped down to #2 when I made it to this place again today -- the sloppy-joe-like african burger was so amazing I think my taste buds were simulating a supernove explosion and my stomach a black hole of deliciousness. okay, i'm done, i think that may have done it justice. :D

Pros: taste explosion, relaxed atmos, nice peeps
Cons: dunno
xsoymilkandgunx
xsoymilkandgunx

Incorrect hours

2 Posted on 11 / 20 / 2011

I hear this place has incredible food, and I believe it. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to experience it wince they were closed. Contrary to the hours listed here and on their website. I know it isn't easy to run a restaurant, but damn you gotta at least have your hours right.

LaurenStilphen
LaurenStilphen

Yummy Monster Big Sandwitches

5 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2011

I had the Crazy Jamaican and it was amazing, and huge. I also got a shake which was great as well. The staff was SUPER nice, and let me in early. By the way, someone on here was complaining about staff being late...well it says on the door that they do not open until 12 noon, so the woman letting you in at 11:30 was actually really nice. Anyways, the food is great and the prices not bad at all, I would recommend it highly.

Pros: Huge amounts , great flavor, good prices
Cons: location
little_bit
little_bit

One of my favorites

5 Posted on 04 / 29 / 2011

This is one of the restaurants that I miss the most from Seattle! I've been going here for the past seven years and the food is delicious! It is definitely greasy and probably not something you should eat every day (although I can understand if you might want to) but the flavor of their smoked tofu is incredible! I wish I knew how they got the flavors and textures that they do. And grilled onions, potato salad, coleslaw?? I am drooling just thinking about it!

Now I live in Oregon and although I think we have a lot more vegan and vegetarian options here, we have nothing like Hillside Quickies! I really wish they would open one down here!

Pros: Amazing food, Smoked Tofu!, Plenty of seating
Cons: Sometimes slow
jperez253445
jperez253445

yummy :)

4 Posted on 02 / 18 / 2011

I was impressed by the AMOUNT of food you get with your purchase. Yes, the sammiches are a little pricy, as well as EVERYTHING ELSE. However, if you have a large appetite, it's well worth your time. Plus the music they played was rad in itself. Very soothing and hip :)

HQV
HQV

11 years and counting

5 Posted on 07 / 31 / 2010

the staff here at Hillside Quickie's Vegan Sandwich Shop is proud to be entering our 11th year! thanks for all the great words! also check out our newest venture a lifestyle blog www.ieatgrass.com founded by HQVSS founder Ayinde Howell thx!

GGG
GGG
  • herbivore

AWESOME

5 Posted on 03 / 22 / 2010

the most filling vegan food I've ever eaten! All ORGANIC! Yummmmmmm!

jevanses
jevanses

Huge portions, great taste

5 Posted on 01 / 16 / 2010

Everything about my sandwich was awesome. When I went, only one person staffed the place and it might have taken a little bit longer than I'd like. It was worth the wait. If I'm ever in Seattle again I'm absolutely going back. Their parent restaurant, Plum Bistro, is equally ridiculously amazing. I got a giant sandwich (of which I could only put down half) for $8.

Pros: huge portions, good value
Cons: wait time
cookiem
cookiem

Greasy goodness

4 Posted on 11 / 20 / 2009

Before you think this might be a 5-star restaurant, think again... really really think again. This place does not look fancy or even like a regular sit-down, table service eatery. Hillside Quickie's can probably be considered comparable in ambiance and decor to a large version of a "hole-in-the-wall." It has scratched display cases, which may or may not have food in them. The menu may have many items, but they may have run out of some things. There may be some posted "specials," which they may or may not have. Worst of all, they may not be open when you try to go!

HOWEVER, please keep reading!

If you know what you're going in for, you won't be disappointed. This place uses a lot of oil and/or fat, so if you are afraid of greasy food or fat calories, don't go!

OK, now the goods. YUM. Once in a while, it seems like most people are willing to eat greasy food. The comfort from this may bring us back to care-free childhood days where we ate things off of the grill, sugary substances, and deep-fried golden nuggets without thinking twice. Of course, as we are older, it's a different feel: we know the repercussions of eating greasy food all the time. Still, if you want some comforting food of the above characteristics, go here!

The sandwiches are deliciously spiced and have such a wonderful selection of toppings on them. I've never had a bad sandwich here. Never! Anything with plantains on it is divine (crazy jamaican burger). Cole slaw (usually red cabbage based) too, adds a nice contrast to the greasy protein patty (soy-based product like tofu or pastrami, tempeh, seitan). Some even have yams on it! The grilled onions add a crowning finish that provides a smoky rich flavor. Oh, and don't forget sandwiches that have the potato salad inside (like the new york deli sub)! Yes! All in one, thank you.

If you're really worried about overdoing it or having a bloated belly, try eating just half now and half later. Trust me, it'll still be fantastic later!

Sometimes they have cookies on site, which I believe are housemade. They are pretty good. Standard fare, if you ask me, but satisfying because they wrap up a quick meal nicely.

Nothing fancy, but just some home-style soul-style cooking. Prepare yourself for what to expect and you won't be disappointed.

Pros: potato salad in sandwich, jamaican spices, fried plantains
Cons: ambiance, food not always in stock, hours
marla5575
marla5575

what a disappointment!

2 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2009

i've had the sandwiches before from sidecar, but had yet to actually visit hillside because the 2 times i've come here, it was closed or had a "back in 15 min" note posted on the door. today i met a group of people here and when we showed up at 10:55 there was the damn note again. we all waited outside and then around 11:25 the woman finally opened the door, purse in hand, and said (i'm not kidding), "ok, you can come in now." um....really??? the hours of operation say you're open at 8am, you must be in a time warp because you were gone a lot longer than 15 minutes, and now you are GRACIOUSLY inviting us in to give you our hard earned money and help keep your business open?

ok, so i got past it, whatever. the food is mediocre at best, the coffee weak and tasteless, and the decor & signage made me feel like i was in some hole in the wall diner in the Central District.

the final straw was that on their website it says buy one breakfast for $8.99 & up and receive a second breakfast for half off. THIS IS FALSE ADVERTISING! when i asked about it i was told they were doing that when they served breakfast on weekdays, but they don't do that anymore.

good lord, get a grip. i would give it 1 star if i could. just because you serve mainly to college students who are just happy to get a vegan meal and will take any crap service & environment you dish out doesn't mean you can't be a decent establishment that caters to the rest of us.

Pros: vegan, decent portions
Cons: poor service, not great food, pricey for the quality
inbelle
inbelle

Confused..

3 Posted on 07 / 17 / 2009

There are three Hillside Quickies in Seattle. I've only been to the one in the University district and the one on Capitol Hill. The shop in the University district was frighteningly dirty, slow service, and my greasy food was cooked in the same black, greasy chipped pan as the previous reviewer. Yuck! Slow too. I was late for class because it took so long to get my food.

That said, the shop on the hill is yummy! I don't know how they could be so different. They have a broader menu and the food isn't nearly as greasy. Brighter, cleaner place too. And, they had more than one person working when I went there so my food didn't take so very long. Try this one!

carbar
carbar

Would never go here again!

2 Posted on 06 / 05 / 2009

Poor Service, greasy food, restaurant dirty! The idea for this place is great but thats where the "great" ends. I ordered the "TLT" -tofu, lettuce and tomato. First off the bread had been fried and was super greasy, there were way too many onions as they took over the sandwich and the sandwich would fall apart when I picked it up. Cleanliness seemed to be a real problem through out the small cafe. To top it off the server/cook was not very friendly and seemed to have a real chip on his shoulder. Would never go here again! I was so looking forward to it on my trip to Seattle, very disappointing!

Pros: website, location
Cons: greasy food, poor service, restaurant not clean
ilanstermonster
ilanstermonster

Best sandwich place for vegans in town!

5 Posted on 11 / 30 / 2008

Wow. I don't think I have enough good things to say about this place. The food is incredible and the portion sizes are great. I don't even usually like meat analogues but I have no problem ordering them there. They somehow make it taste magical! They also have some non mock-meat options which is definitely appreciated, as well as pizza and "salad" type dishes. Baked desserts were also up at the display both times I have been there.

Pros: Yummy, Decent prices, Good selection
Cons: Really small, Not too healthy?
Veggie Lover
Veggie Lover

Disappointed...

2 Posted on 10 / 12 / 2008

After reading the reviews here, we were excited to try this place. However, when we first walked in to the restaurant it was filled with the stuffy smell of oil. While we waited for our order, we watched the food being preprared in the open kitchen behind the cash register, and our stomachs turned. The stove had on a frying pan which we covered in black burnt oil (inside and out), as if it hasn't been washed in years. I couldn't believe that's where our food was coming from! fresh food like tomato were cut open and left sitting at the counter also...when we started eating, we could find pellets of the frying pan burnt residue (1/4" diameter) mixed in our food! We ended up donating our entire wrap to the trash can...for cleanliness reason, I wouldn't recommend this place! although to be fair the menu had a large selection, (just don't understand how the organic items would be prepared in such an environment)!

Pros: large selection
Cons: dirty, pricy for such value
reimer74
reimer74

Fun, Funky, Cozy, and DELICIOUS!!

5 Posted on 10 / 03 / 2008

Ignore the comment below. If you're looking for vast amounts of seating, service staff to wait on you hand-and-foot, etc., then this isn't the place for you. Small and personalized, hand-painted decor. Room for approx. 8 people total (seating). Amazingly good Seitan sandwiches/burgers!! I've noticed other reviewers have mentioned that the buns are soaked in grease -- No, that's BROTH! Tried both the Smoked Portabella and the Mahalo Burgers -- I'll be going back as often as possible. The dessert looked sinfully wonderful!! Yes, your stool at the hightop table might wobble, and you might have to ask the gal behind the counter to refill the water caraffe... but there is so much GOOD FOOD that you take forever to make a choice!! Funky flair fits right in with Capitol Hill -- a neighbourhood I love! :) Keep up the good work, guys! :)

Pros: All-Vegan, EXCELLENT food, good value
Cons: cramped seating
Guest
Guest

Decent

3 Posted on 07 / 02 / 2008

I went there in June of 2008 and it seemed that it was under construction or something..? It was nice but could have been nicer. Too bad that there is only one person working at a time. I got the smoked tofu sandwich I think. I didn't realize that everything was deep fried. My sanwhich was soaking in oil and I am really not a fan of greasy food, but if you are you would like it! It was still good but all I could think about is how much I have to work out to work off this sandwhich. They also didn't have everything that was on the menu which also kind of sucked, I really wanted to try the mac and yease. Prices are decent. They get points for being a completely vegan sandwich place.

Pros: good prices, good tasting, lots to choose from
Cons: very greasy, not everything on menu on hand, under construction
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Awesome!!!

5 Posted on 11 / 20 / 2007

This place makes some really good Seitan! The sandwich I had [with Seitan] was delectable! I would've eaten here several times had it not been for my friend who wanted to try other Vegetarian restaurants! I can't wait to eat here again someday!

Pros: Good Seitan!!!, Nice Employees!

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Hillside Quickie's: