Hill Street Cafe and Coffee...

Serves meat, veg options available. Local coffee house and cafe restaurant situated in a house building. Extensive food menu includes some vegetarian and vegan dishes, marked on the menu. Organic coffee served. Casual seating in the back patio and in enclosed deck. Also an art gallery upstairs. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Mexican, Organic, Non-veg

First Review by chris
Moneyz
Moneyz

Not Good Enough

3 Posted on 06 / 28 / 2014

This restaurant has a few vegan option that seem appetizing, however I do not believe the items are worth their prize. The portion I got was small looking around I saw the portions if others were quite small too. I had the surf and turf which was not too bad I just don't like wasabi at all. Not too mention the portion was small. I thought it was a bit too pricey. I would rather go get a burrito from Cream of the Crop (a nearby health food store) for half the price but same satisfaction and better flavor. The staff was very friendly, and the seating was lovely outside.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Lovely Seating
Cons: Pricey, Small Portion, Wasabi Flavors
rosyness
rosyness

Great Food, Great Service

4 Posted on 03 / 08 / 2013

Ordered some vegan sushi, num numn num! Colorful, fulfilling and delicious, highly recommend it!

ShannonTom
ShannonTom

Hill Street Cafe

4 Posted on 09 / 14 / 2012

We went to Oceanside to see the lowrider art show at the Oceanside Museum of Art. What a fantastic show!!! Pros: So then we needed a vegetarian friendly restaurant. We were pleased with Hill Street Cafe. The food was very fresh and tasty. Big tasty buns with lots of veggies and very juicy. I liked the inexpensive iced coffee option. We didn't know there was an art gallery on the second floor or a nice patio out back. We will go back for sure. Cons: Some better signage maybe. The front on the street along sidewalk could use a little spiffing up.

bvanb
bvanb

Great for weekend breakfast

4 Posted on 04 / 15 / 2012

Giant menu. Everyone's favorites. Friendly staff that leaves you alone in peace to read/chat while eating.

Pros: choices
Cons: bathroom outside needs help
xandriah
xandriah

A bit of a disappointment

2 Posted on 03 / 18 / 2012

Because of the wonderful reviews below I chose to eat lunch at the Hill Street Cafe while passing through Oceanside. I ordered the Vegan Burrito, which was filled with tofu, peppers, rice, cilantro, chipotle sauce, and other veg. It came with rice and beans for a total of 9$. The burrito was a bit small and quite soggy, and had an overwhelming soy sauce/chipotle sauce taste, which totally overrode the other elements of the burrito. The side of rice was undercooked, but the beans were good. On the plus side, the staff was very friendly and the cafe wasn't hard to find or park at.
Because this was my first visit, I am going to give it the benefit of the doubt and return and try other vegan options on the menu. But this experience was not the greatest first impression.

Pros: Many vegan options, Nice staff
Cons: Soggy burrito, Overwhelming sauce
  • xandriah xandriah

I returned to the Hill Street Cafe and tried the Vegan chili, which was okay. It had mushrooms, tomatoes, beef substitute, red and green bell peppers, and corn I believe. I ordered it with soy cheeze and cilantro. It came with a side of cornbread that was stale. I also ordered the ABC juice (Apple beet carrot) which was delicious.

PJHead
PJHead

Great food

4 Posted on 02 / 25 / 2012

I love eating here. It was a relief to find this place. I am vegan and there aren't too many places near by that have vegan options on the menu. It was nice to be able to just order and not have to change anything. The food is great and there are plenty of options for everyone.

Pros: Excellent food, portions, friendly staff
Chia
Chia

Has Veg

3 Posted on 01 / 16 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow, and stopped in on a past trip through town (enroute to San Diego). Here's my Hill Street Cafe and Coffee House review.

It appeared to be a local hangout coffee and food place. The cafe restaurant is in a converted house with a wrap-around patio enclosed by glass windows where customers sit (or in the back outdoor deck).

The food menu is American and Mexican food, such as breakfast omelette and scrambles, sandwiches, quesadilla, burritos, etc... While there are many meat offerings, there are also plenty of vegetarian and vegan food listed and marked in green. And they serve organic coffee.

There is a parking lot to the right facing side of the restaurant, but we found street parking just in front.

Overall, this is a decent place for vegetarians and vegans to get a bite - since there are no pure veg places (as of this writing) in Oceanside.

Pros: friendly vibes, casual, veg friendly
Cons: a bit grungy
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

A lot of vegan options but the food is lackluster.

3 Posted on 04 / 17 / 2011

Hill Side Café appears to be a local hang out and popular among the residents of Oceanside. We ate there on a Monday afternoon and they were pretty busy, and honestly I thought they wouldn't be as busy for a Monday. There are tons of vegetarian and vegan items on the menu, but there are so many that it's almost overwhelming. At the suggestion of the waiter I went with the potato tacos, they just sounded interesting. They were good for the first two bites but then I was just over them. I found the meal to be lackluster and in need of some flavor. My friend felt the same way about her entrée as well. If I was passing through Oceanside I'd likely stop by again, but I wouldn't go out of my way to eat here.

oohhkay
oohhkay

GREAT FOOD!

4 Posted on 11 / 04 / 2009

My husband and I have been coming here for about 5 years now consistently. The food is always great! The service can be slow, but its worth it. People that work there are nice. You can order from the sushi place across the patio. Good selection for your non veg friends. Great atmosphere. Spicy Chili tofu wrap, avocado burrito and spicy tofu tacos are the bomb! You seat yourself. Lots of healthy options so you don't walk away feeling like a fat ass.

Pros: lots of veggie options, great ambiance, friendly staff
Cons: slow service, limited seating
bvp663
bvp663

Always Awesome!

4 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2009

When I'm in North County this is my go-to place for vegan eats. They have a great number of vegan options available, all delicious.

Pros: great food, plenty of vegan options, great portion size
Italrower
Italrower

Good food and friendly service!

4 Posted on 05 / 01 / 2009

I recently visited Oceanside and the Hill Street Cafe was most enjoyable. I fact, I ate almost every meal there. The food is fresh, tasty and fairly priced for a beach/tourist town. The produce is excellent and for a small eatery, they have a wide range of options on the menu. If you need a dish
prepared a certain way, just ask. Be sure to eat at the
Hill Street Cafe and Coffee House when you're in Oceanside.
You'll like it!

Pros: Fresh Food, Staff, Prices
Cons: Small, Few Desserts
vegheadhonna
vegheadhonna

Slow but tasty

3 Posted on 02 / 28 / 2009

Service here tends to be slow but has mostly been worth the wait. The falafel plate is awesome. I also had a pasta dish that was pretty good, and they do tofu well. But I wished the noodles were whole grain instead of white and I wished the same for the toast. Purty salads.

sloweducation
sloweducation

mismarked menu

3 Posted on 08 / 24 / 2008

i suppose the food here is alright, if undistinguished, but they had one variety of waffle marked vegan on the menu when it wasn't. my friends ordered it and were not told that the item in question actually contained eggs. when i went, i asked, because they offered many better sounding types of waffles and i wanted to know if they too could be prepared vegan. the server informed me that this was in fact a misprint. this was a while back, so i don't know if it is still the case. it's worth going some place else to get food you can trust, or at least make sure to ask even if an item is marked as vegan on the menu. i am not giving this restaurant a low rating because i know that it was most likely an honest mistake and would like to encourage any restaurant that offers substantial vegan options, but i want to warn people to watch out.

mbirse310
mbirse310

great food if you arent in a hurry; or call to go

4 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2007

Hill Street is a great place for a dinner party. They have an outside patio area that is off to the side and perfect for a 15-30 person party. It is great for a mixed crowd of vegan and meat eaters alike. There homemade vegan apple pie is to die for. We usually by a whole one (order ahead) and invite people back for dessert along with some soy vanilla icecream. If you have a thing for cheesecake their vegan cheesecake is also very impressive. For an entree try there chili tofu. Yummy

Pros: yummy, vegan friendly, great dessert
Cons: can be slow
  • mbirse310 mbirse310

i posted this response some time ago. they no longer carry vegan dessert which is a shame and i am sad to say that they have gotten pretty sloppy with their vegan dishes. i use to love the potato tacos but one time there was chicken in the beans and another they put jack cheese on the tacos instead of soy. it is still the best choice in oceanside but be aware that you have to really make a point of not eating dairy/meat/etc. when i do go there now, which is rare, i tell them i have extreme dairy allergies and that i will get very sick if i eat dairy. this seems to help (liability and all). there service is still slow and not always friendly depending on the server.

chris
chris

Good Food

4 Posted on 08 / 24 / 2007

This place is one of my favorites when it is not packed. Lots of vegan and veggie choices. Service is very slow so get comfortable. Good selection of local beers. Also has an art gallery upstairs.

Pros: Food, selection
Cons: poor service

Dear Owner and Manager of Hill Street Cafe and Coffee House: