Serves meat, veg options available. Chinese restaurant. Menu includes a section of vegetarian mockmeat dishes (not sure if contains whey - ask). Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Chinese, Non-veg

First Review by sherill
TataVislevskaya
TataVislevskaya

Good for Fort William

4 Posted on 11 / 12 / 2013

Try mock meat here - "chicken" with chili and black bean sauce was great! Staff are very friendly.
Updated from previous review on Thursday August 01, 2013

Pros: Tasty mock meat dishes, Nice staff, The heart of Fort William
MuK-UK
MuK-UK

Yay!

4 Posted on 04 / 07 / 2013

A very welcome find after a long day of driving thanks to Happy Cow. I had the Chef's Lo Hon special mock meat and all and thoroughly enjoyed it and my other half had sweet and sour vegetables which also went well. The fried beansprouts we also had were good too.

Pros: It has mock meat, Friendly Staff
Cons: Not especially cheap
Tara HD
Tara HD

Didn't like it

2 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2012

Fort William is a little short on vegan options, so we tried the Highland Star. They have some vegan dishes with mock meat options. I do not really like mock meat, so I just ordered stir-fried veggies. There was a piece of what looked like meat in it. I did not know if it was mock meat or real one but I found it repulsive. I complained and they reassured me it was mock meat and that they prepare vegetarian food seperately (well, good to know). The taste was mediocre, I had much better Chinese food elsewhere. Even if I come back to Fort William I would not eat there again. I would rather try the veggie options at one of the Indian restaurants in town or self-cater (Morrisons supermarket has a rather decent selection of vegan food).

Cons: taste

Jayjazz
Jayjazz

great choice

4 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2010

Visited here this evening they had the usual vegetable dishes as well as mock chicken, duck or abalone for only 50p more than the vegetable dishes. Even though I've tried mock chicken and duck before i didn't opt for the abalone because I just couldn't imagine it working. The mock meat wasn't on the menu in the window just inside. I had chilli black bean mock duck and it was fantastic, throughly enjoyed it, my partner enjoyed his meat dish too so everyone was happy. The only critisim I can think of is that the veg spring rolls were a bit greasy, plus I didn't meed a started as main meal was large portion.

Pros: good choice, tasty, good portions
sherill
sherill

Lucky find!

4 Posted on 05 / 09 / 2009

When in Fort William a couple years ago, we were originally looking for a restaurant that I researched online that had veg options, but we couldn't find a parking spot nearby so my fiance parked where he could. While he was fussing with the car (I think paying for parking - I can't recall) I wandered up to a chinese restaurant (Highland Star) and started reading the menu - too my surprise, they had a HUGE section of vegetarian options! I was stunned! So, we scrapped our plans and ate at Highland Star instead. Lots of faux meat options (if you like that sort of thing). We were running a bit short on protein over previous days and were happy to get some here. We really enjoyed our meal and will definitely be back if we're ever in Fort William again.

Pros: Large vegetarian selection, Convenient location, Yummy food
Cons: Not very well promoted online (til now!)

Dear Owner and Manager of Highland Star: