Serves meat, veg options available. A nice place that's nearly all vegetarian, with occasional fish dish. The focus is on natural ingredients, fruit and vegetable. Interesting range of salads (all vegan) including a falafel salad and a green curry salad with vegan cheese. Variety of fruit/vegetable smoothies (some with yogurt), lemonade, and other fruit juices. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Organic, International, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by Blacklizard
veglife00
veglife00

Amazing food!

4 Posted on 06 / 03 / 2013

This was, hands down, the favorite restaurant we ate at in Buenos Aires (and a group of 7, including 5 meat eaters, mostly agreed on this). The menu is not huge but has a nice variety, from sandwiches to salads, curries, and artichoke gnocchi. I really cannot recommend this place highly enough. Plus the atmosphere is warm and quaint. The only downside is that it is in a bit of a dangerous neighborhood, so you should asked the staff to call for a taxi in advance (rather than waiting outside) if you go there at night. Also, they seem to expect reservations and appeared a bit put off that we arrived there without one.

Pros: excellent food, nice variety, cozy atmosphere
Cons: dangerous neighborhood at night, should make reservations
Blacklizard
Blacklizard

Beautiful restaurant, good choice in San Telmo

4 Posted on 12 / 08 / 2011

We ate at Hierbabuena twice. It is a lovely restaurant on a picturesque block of Avenida Caseros, with nice outdoor seating and a nice interior as well. The menu is virtually 100% vegetarian, with only one token chicken dish and one salmon salad that I could see. The first time we ate there was for lunch (be sure to get there by 4:00 PM, they stop serving most of the menu after that, and dinner does not start until 8:30 PM). I had the falafel salad, and my wife had a curry salad, and both were delicious, two of the best salads we have had in BsAs. They served a free appetizer(sushi rice with pickled cucumber) that was outstanding. I checked the bill -- it really was free, there was no "cubierto" table service charge. One of their specialities is lemonade with other fruits mixed in -- they have several different varieties, and the one we had was great. The service was great, and I really fell in love with the location, so I wanted to go back for dinner. Everything we ate was vegan -- there are many vegan choices on the menu.

Dinner one week later didn't turn out quite so well. The main problem was the service; the waiters seemed very disorganized, and they left us sitting at the table without menus or anything until we finally had to ask for menus. We saw several other tables waiting for a very long time to try and get their bills, so we wisely asked for our bill as soon as the waiter brought our dinner orders. Our friend had the vegetarian pizza, which came with just a small amount of parmesan cheese and a lot of leafy greens -- it was very good, with a good crust. I had the mushroom burger, which I did not like as much, but the potatoes and side salad were excellent. My wife had the yamani rice wok dish, which she found to be bland and boring, with too much soy sauce and too few vegetables or any other spices. Nevertheless, I'm still fond of this restaurant, and think it is a good choice in San Telmo.

Pros: Beautiful location, Diverse menu, Many vegan options
Cons: Service can be very slow

Dear Owner and Manager of Hierbabuena: