CLOSED: Herwin's Vegan Kitchen

Small vegan cafe in an off track area in Sukhumvit, offering a varied menu including burritos, cake and beer. Vegan cooking classes, various take out spreads like hummus and baba ganoush. Sells vit B-12. Relocated from Silom area. Offers delivery in the Sukhumvit area. More info on Herwin's blog. NOTE: NOV 2012 REPORTED SHUT DOWN FOR CERTAIN, NOT JUST TEMPORARILY. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Western, Fast food
Sukhumvit 36, just past Soi 3 (end of Sukhumvit Soi 36, 100m inside Soi Saen Sabaai 3)
Bangkok, Thailand 10500
087-709-4284

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by PauPau
BramDeSaedeleer
BramDeSaedeleer

Foreign food in a Thai atmosphere

4 Posted on 11 / 06 / 2012

Since they moved they only offer a limited menu, but it is still all great food. Prepared as you order. Little bit hard to find. Very nice staff, foreign owner is from Holland and also speaks English. The toilet needs some work.

Pros: Price, Delicious
Cons: Toilet
AmericanPhil
AmericanPhil

friendly and good food

5 Posted on 08 / 30 / 2012

Very friendly staff and great food. It's a bit hard to find(if you don't have directions) so look up the address first. Had a few items and dessert and all was really quite good. Best meal experience ive had so far in Thailand. The owner and cook are very dedicated and have even put together a book of reviews of bangkoks top veggie restaurants (with photos!). Check this place out!mmm

Pros: great food, dedicated to their ideals, homely
Cons: no wifi?
rs
rs

What a meal!

5 Posted on 08 / 25 / 2012

First of all, the food here is unbelievably good. I am not one to eat leftovers, but I actually carried it with me on an international flight and just finished it off at home! You haven't lived until you've had their chocolate cake. (Dessert after an awesome green curry, brown rice, and mock chicken dish. Oh, my mouth is watering!)

And beyond that, Herwin is one of the kindest people I've never met. We were on our way to the restaurant before going to a cultural program and got really delayed. We are strict vegetarians and were really in a jam since we had to be at the airport immediately after the show. Herwin actually drove to the theater and deposited our dinner with our driver. We had the yummiest Thai meal ever while waiting for our flight. And the portions were so generous that I had enough to savor at home today.

What delicious food, and what an incredibly generous service attitude -- what more could we ask for?

I don't know how to reach Herwin personally, but if you read this Herwin, We'd love to be able to be in touch with you. Thank you!

Pros: Excellent Food, Amazing staff, Generous Portions

happysnikkler
happysnikkler

Outstanding food, run by a great guy

5 Posted on 01 / 29 / 2012

The food in this place is astonishingly good. Herwin really has the art of vegan cooking down pat. He's from Amsterdam originally, he seems to run the place together with his Thai wife. They have a cute 2 year old who runs around in the small, cozy restaurant. Anyway the foot is fantastic. I'd definitely recommend the pita breat with soy-omelette inside, falafels, pizza, everything!!

• happysnikkler happysnikkler

Forgot to mention- not sure how to edit review so I'll just respond - they deliver, also, so if you're within the delivery area (not sure how extensive that is), you can enjoy Herwin's excellent vegan food in the comfort of your home!

bluedonut
bluedonut

Take the time to visit Herwin's!

5 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2011

I went to Herwin's almost every day during my time in Bangkok. It was a 10 block walk from my Hotel but worth it. I usually just ordered the Thai dishes and they were great.
And by great, I meant very flavorful and quite healthy. Most of my time in Thailand has been on the beach in Lamai, Koh Samui where I go to the Spa Restaurant, and I've eaten at some very good vegan restaurants during my 15 years in California. Don't be put off by the fried food offerings (unless you like those). Herwin has accommodated the locals which include many Indians and Thais (and Farangs), and thus the menu is quite varied from Thai, to Italian, to "american" (vegan of course), and a few fusion ideas mixed in. The vibe is cool, in that you might meet one of Herwin's kids, and both Herwin and his Wife cook, and Herwin plays some cool music (was playing the New York Dolls during my last visit). Thanks to folks like Herwin (and Wife) one can eat well in Bangkok.

Pros: healthy , hip, tasty
Cons: *, *
NikolaHooks
NikolaHooks

'Homely, Welcoming and Vegan!'

5 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2011

Have recently spent 5 nights in the guest room upstairs. We felt very at home and his family are very welcoming. Herwin was very helpful. He also write a vegan guidebook to Bangkok which came in really handy! It was easy to follow and straight to the point. The food at Herwins is fantastic and inventive. Would reccommend staying or eating at Herwins! Great Place and Great Vegan Food and a homely atmosphere. :-D

Pros: Great Food, Friendly / Homely Atmosphere, Good Value
Cons: Not enough people know about it!, Slightly Hidden Location
Durianrider
Durianrider

Herwins for pizza!

5 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2011

I bought some non vegan friends of mine some of Herwin's pizzas and they loved it!

I like how you can bring the boxes back and get refills too.

Pros: english speaking, TASTY PIZZAS, local
Cons: not open 24/7.
OT
OT

Yummy and Fresh

4 Posted on 05 / 29 / 2011

A great little vegan restaurant with really good choices on the menu. Herwin is passionate about veganism and it shows in the way he and his wife prepare the food. The food is so fresh. I had the Fake Steak Burger and it was very yummy. the prices are very reasonable also. I purchased Herwins guide to vegan/vegetarian restaurants in Bangkok - very useful and informative. I will return to this restaurant.

Pros: Varied menu, Well priced, Nice people
ampallang
ampallang

my tastebuds are happy

5 Posted on 12 / 16 / 2010

i arrived here on a sunday afternoon, very quit but Herwin was wonderful. I had a chocolate shark (45 b?) that was something i was missing for a longtime! I had a peppersteak burger with fries and tofu mayonaise- the mayo isnt so sour/ vinegary but still nice :) also i had a chocolate/coconut ice cream that was wonderful!!!! I came back a second time and had the shrimp greencurry served with brown rice which was perfect, no complants. I ordered a tae away soya burger and fries for the train which were fine. His new brownies and the apple cake were also very tasty. Maybe he will change the hours and be open on monday and closed sunday. Very good food, and the mixture of thai food and junk food is good :) just remember to draw or print a map because its just too easy to get lost

Pros: variety of food, good prices
VeganTex
VeganTex

Herwin's Vegan Cafe

4 Posted on 12 / 09 / 2010

Herwin is a cool guy and will cook you up some fresh vegan food! Eating vegan is Thailand was quite easy, but I admit it was refreshing to have a non-rice based lunch. I posted a picture of the 'side-street' location, should be easy to find.

• VeganTex VeganTex

Oops, should say "in" Thailand :P

amandajoy27
amandajoy27

The best!

5 Posted on 08 / 16 / 2010

Excellent vegan cafe. Serves western and asian dishes. The pizza is the best I ever had. And the chocolate shakes are very yummy. The fries are homemade also- very tasty. I ate at this cafe twice while in Bangkok and would def go back again. Recommend to all! Email the cafe and ask for directions, its really easy to find.

Pros: Excellent food, Good value, Large Variety
Cons: Email cafe for directions
veganbride
veganbride

Just what Bangkok needed!

5 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2010

I only just found out about this restaurant despite living here and we decided to come last night. Finding it was not too difficult as we had an iphone and GPS, but I can imagine it would be challenging if we did not have that.

We had a pizza (on a wholemeal base. YUM!) a tofu burger with fries (The fries were good, but I don't think the oil was hot enough so they didn't quite get crispy, the burger was good as was the wholewheat bun)and chocolate ice cream was made to order and was actually really very good indeed. The tofunaise was an excellent alternative to regular mayo.

While Bangkok has some amazing veg/vegan places, they are all serving Thai places and it is nice to get some comfort food like pizzas etc. Herwin really is promoting veganism, eating locally and healthy foods and it is nice to support a wholly vegan place. You know their profits won't be spent buying meat either. It wasn't even very expensive in the first place!

Herwin was a gracious host and a delight to talk to. We wish we lived closer so we could go every week.

Pros: Healthy vegan food, Owners' commitment to eating local & veg, Comfort food
Cons: Hard to find, Some more seasoning
ahimsa1012
ahimsa1012

Nice Very Friendly Place

4 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2010

This place is run by a person from Netherlands and his Thai wife. They have young children and it has a nice cozy family feeling. The owners are very friendly and the food is good. I would highly recommend it.

w11guy
w11guy

Great Vegan Cafe

5 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2010

I love this place and eat there every week. The choice of food is very good, especially since the menu was expanded this month (July 2010). I usually have one of the Thai dishes with brown rice, but have also tried the fries with veggie bacon, the pizza and the sushi. All are well made, fresh and tasty.

They usually have a chocolate cake that is quite light and very tasty. Maybe one of the best chocolate cakes I've tasted. They have also started serving home-made ice cream. THey make it when you order it, so you can request as little or as much sugar as you want. They have a range of flavors - I chose the green tea.

And taking of tea, they have a small range of teas as well - both Chinese and Japanese. This is loose tea, not tea bags, so very nice. And very reasonably priced.

The place is small (seats around 14) and cozy). It's a nice relaxed atmosphere and Herwin id very friendly and chatty.

I had great difficulty finding it the first time, so I phoned for directions. Herwin cycled down the road to find me. I was quite impressed. So take a map. Now I've been a few times it seems quite straight forward. Soi Putha Osot runs parallel to Surawong Road, so it should be quite easy to find.

Pros: vegan, tasty food , friendly owner
vegAndreas
vegAndreas

My favorite vegan cafe!

5 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2010

I have been here about 15 times, and i have never been disappointed. I like the small and charming cafe, the delicious food and also Herwin. I loved the bacon, fries, tofunaise, pizza, cakes and his shakes. There is also a lot of healthy food, but i like to do that at home.
We got some very good talks and discussions with Herwin, and thats how i know have dedicated he are. He is not doing this for the money, he really cares about the Animals.
It's of course important to be healthy, but it is your choice of what you want to do with your body.
It should not be a choice to harm or kill another being.
Thank you for some good food and company Herwin.
I will be back :)

killianH
killianH

great little spot

4 Posted on 06 / 09 / 2010

nice, simple and most importantly a dedicated vegan menu. The owner is a long term vegan and as the restaurant is still evolving expect the menu to change and expand. tricky to find but worth the effort. a nice place for a relaxed dinner.

Pros: total vegan, peaceful
enRoute
enRoute

Nice little place

4 Posted on 04 / 29 / 2010

First of all, it's a bit of a challenge to find... use the map on the website as it's the best way. Also, don't be like me and space on the "closed Monday/Tuesday" part, because it really is.

Overall a nice, simple vegan cafe with a different feel from any other place in the city. Run by a friendly Dutch guy and his Thai wife. Creative menu items, maybe a touch bland for me but still very enjoyable. Worth seeking out.

Pros: vegan, friendly, clean
Cons: tough to find, slightly bland
JesseD
JesseD

Great Vegan Cafe

5 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2010

This is a cozy little vegan cafe in a quiet residential area in Silom, and I think one of only two fully-vegan eateries in Bangkok. It serves a range of healthy vegan pizzas (hard to find anywhere, let alone Bangkok!) and also some Japanese dishes, and standard Thai fare. I had the sushi and a soy-meat pizza - both were delicious. It also serves fresh juices and vegan desserts. It's not so easy to find but well worth the walk/taxi to get there.

Pros: fully vegan menu, delicious food - vegan pizzas!, free wifi
PauPau
PauPau

great vegan place

4 Posted on 03 / 22 / 2010

Yesterday i visited the Herwin's Vegan Cafe for the first time. I expected to find a vegan cafe with tourists but instead there were local thai people and some indian guys eating ! It's a clean, kinda japanese style "take of your shoes" small cozey restaurant, with some Peta posters promoting vegetarianism.
This place serves home made pizzas with dough made from a mix with whole weat flour and all purpose flour. Pizzas without cheese is rather dificult to find, so i was happy to see here 6 diferent vegan pizzas. I had a Pineapple Chocolate Sauce Pizza. I have to say it was very tasty and according to the menu information the chocolate sauce is home made without white sugars. With pizza prices from 135 and 165 baht, this is extreme cheap. Furthermore i had an Apple Carrot Mushroom salad and a fresh Carrot Apple juice, both very fresh and tasty also. I had a Chocolate Peanutbutter cake for take out.
I will defenitely come back to this place (for the french fries with homemade tofunaise) because it's one of few vegan places in BKK , it has a good menu with homemade foods with healthy ingredients, and it's not packed with tourists.
It was a bit dicifult to find. When you are in Silom Rd, best to go to the Sri Mariamman Temple (the Hindu Temple), in front of the temple other side of the street go in the street and walk to Surawong. Cross the road and enter a small soi in front of the Pizza Company. Go through a small gate and there is Soi Puttha Osoi with Herwins Vegan Cafe. You also can take a look at the website, there is a map..

Pros: healthy, good value, 100%vegan

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Herwin's Vegan Kitchen: