Hermitage

Vegetarian restaurant in Old Town Stockholm. Relaxed vibe and mostly vegan fare. Serving global flavors like spicy Moroccan stews and creamy cottage cheese pancakes. Has wi-fi. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, International, Western, Juice bar, Salad bar, Take out
Stora Nygatan 11
Stockholm, Sweden 111 27
+46-8-4119500

Open Mon-Fri 11am-9pm, Sat-Sun 12-9pm.

First Review by astalia
rosaspurv
rosaspurv

Hermitage, Old Towns Only Vegan Place

3 Posted on 06 / 08 / 2014

They serve a buffet with both hot and cold dishes for around 130 sek. It is a cosy atmospfhere, and really good food. Recomend it, but it has a small menu so it gets only 4stars

Bumblebee
Bumblebee

Good deal

4 Posted on 06 / 02 / 2014

The food was okay, but not outstanding. Good place to fill up on some veggie food for a reasonable price in Stockholm. Centrally located.

Captain Chaos
Captain Chaos

Nice place, food ok

4 Posted on 05 / 19 / 2014

Good location and athmosphere in the restaurant. The food was ok but nothing special though. It was tasteable that it was kept warm for a long time and not that fresh. But still, we had a nice lunch there for a good price.

LisahhK
LisahhK

Delicious Vegetarian Buffet!

5 Posted on 05 / 08 / 2014

We went to Hermitage for dinner and the buffet was well-stocked with a variety of vegetarian foods such as bread, soup, salad, hot and cold vegetable dishes. We also ordered a piece of blueberry tart which was delicious.

There seemed to only be one person working there, so we rang the bell and he helped us right away.

Mimmi_t
Mimmi_t

Good

3 Posted on 04 / 06 / 2014

Good, but not fantastic. Still, perfect for lunch and very good prices.

Pros: Price, Lot of food

jencompgeek
jencompgeek

Vegan in Old Town

4 Posted on 01 / 27 / 2014

We were happy to find this place while sightseeing in Old Town. At first we were a bit confused as to how to order. Once we figured out to go up and ring the bell at the counter, all was good. The buffet was the only non-desert food we saw available at lunch. The only non-vegan thing on the buffet was some gravy. The food was really good! We really enjoyed the hummus, "meatballs", and soup. This was one of our first experiences in Stockholm, so we were initially shocked by the price, but now I see it's actually fairly inexpensive. We definitely got our fill and then some! I would certainly return here on a future visit.

Pros: vegan options, price
Cons: limited variety
rixmas
rixmas

My favourite vegetarian restaurant

5 Posted on 01 / 11 / 2014

Located in the old town of Stockholm this place brings you very tasty soups, salads, amazing humus and main different dishes every day. Friendly and attentive staff. Take away option with really big boxes. I always visit this place whenever I go to Stockholm.

Pros: Al you can eat / take away options, Great location and place, VERY tasty food
zeebonk
zeebonk

Too cozy?

4 Posted on 01 / 01 / 2014

We got really happy to find out that there is a vegan/vegetarian in the heart of Old Town in Stockholm. Buffet style and mostly vegan (only a sauce not vegan when we visited). Great food! Price ok for an all you can eat place. As this is a small place there aren't that much space for the buffet so can get quit crammed if busy. Friendly, warm and very cozy (you sit VERY close to others....). If you're a big eater (like we are) you definitely get your money's worth!).

Pros: Price
Cons: Can get very crammed
Winterdragon
Winterdragon

• herbivore

A good vegetarian restaurant

4 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2013

They usually have a buffet where most of the things are vegan. Very tasty food and cozy atmosphere.

Pros: Buffet; eat all you want!, Great-tasting food, Cozy atmosphere
Cons: A bit expensive
pcarlson
pcarlson

Pretty bland and overpriced

2 Posted on 07 / 31 / 2013

Location is the best feature, but the food is average fare. Tight quarters inside the restaurant, but nice sidewalk seating on sunny days. The food appeared to have been sitting in warmers for some time when we arrive for a 1:00 lunch. Pricey for what you get.

Pros: Vegetarian option in Old Town, Overpriced
Cons: Mediocre Food, Cramped quarters
leia
leia

Great soup

4 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2013

A small cafe with plenty of indoor seating. It was difficult to manoeuvre around the buffet table if there are more than two wanting to fill their plate. The buffet had only a few options. There was enough choice to feed my family of young children successfully though. My husband and I enjoyed the soup best. The children ate their weight in roasted potatoes. Not much choice in fresh salads, we would have preferred some delicious options to complement the curry or yummy lasagna. Hermitage is a nice place to eat if you are in the Gamla Stan at a meal time.

Pros: delicious soup, English speaking staff, warm food
Cons: small buffet space, few food options, bland salad choices
vegie37
vegie37

tasty vegan buffet

3 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2013

Nice food with good flavours, buffet so you choose what you want - water and dip coffee included. Nice outside area for sunny days.

Pros: cost, location
Hildatilda
Hildatilda

Charming restaurant

5 Posted on 06 / 19 / 2013

Located in the Old Town of Stockholm, this quite inexpensive restaurant is a charming Little Place with nice staff. Food is reat. There is a variety of choices of food and teas. Relaxed Place with 20 seats inside and maybe 10-12 outside.For being located in the Old Town of Stockholm the prices are resonable.

Pros: Food, Location, Nice staff
Cons: A bit cramped inside.
Caryne
Caryne

Small, mostly vegan cafe in Gamla Stan

3 Posted on 03 / 18 / 2013

We only ate some soup here so cannot comment on the food but there looked to be a good range of savouries and salad in a help yourself area. The soup was ok, a little too salty for my taste and it was well priced but the atmosphere was very unfriendly. The staff were surly and just didn't seem to care and the other customers there seemed to spend most of their time staring at us, I presumed this was mostly a place for locals and they didn't like outsiders as, to be honest, I was rather happy to leave.

Pros: Cheap, Good vegan choice
Cons: Very unfiendly, Surly staff
Yinkie
Yinkie

Mediocre food, more a small bar than restaurant

3 Posted on 03 / 08 / 2013

Choice is small here, nice food though and cheap for scandinavian standards. I would recommend to eat here when you are looking for a quick bite and not for an evening filling dinner. It's maybe best comparable to a falaffel bar.

Pros: Cheap, Decent food
Cons: Small choice, More bar than restaurant
loloford
loloford

• raw

fantastic restaurant

5 Posted on 02 / 13 / 2013

I went twice during my 5 day stay in Stockholm last august.
food is really good, choice is large and it's a buffet! the cost is really low, so it makes a perfect place to eat healthy when you're on a budget!
i will definitly go there again.

Pros: low price, very good quality, choice
Cons: some dishes are a bit fatty
kasia
kasia

Friendly place

4 Posted on 09 / 25 / 2012

I had excellent vegan apple tart and I'd be happy to go back there. As for the buffet food selection there were some salads, lasagne and a vegan veggie stew with soy protein so not much choice but it looked lovely and the atmosphere in that place was very nice. A small minus for the lack of over 3% beers.

Pixiechick
Pixiechick

Small cafe - great food

5 Posted on 09 / 19 / 2012

Small cafe in the gorgeous Gamla Stan. Lovely food. Buffet, with lots of vegan options, including lovely roast potatoes. I'd highly recommend it.

Pros: Wide range of vegan food, Tasty food, Nice atmosphere
Barbapapa249
Barbapapa249

Great place

4 Posted on 09 / 06 / 2012

Out of the three vegetarian buffets we went to in Stockholm, this was by far the best. They had a great lentil soup, really great hummus, several warm dishes and a lot of salad-type cold dishes. Water is free but you can buy several other drinks. Desert costs extra, looked very good but we were stuffed already. Nice atmosphere as well. Would recommend.

Pros: Lentil soup, Hummus!
Cons: Service maybe bit disinterested
Henley
Henley

Nice Buffet Lunch

4 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2012

For our first vegie experience in Sweden we were quite happy with Hermitage. We paid SEK 110 for the buffet which consisted of several different healthy and fresh salads and a few different hot food options (stuffed capsicum, burgers, Moroccan type casserole, lentil soup ...) all delicious. We were really hungry when we arrived and were glad that the friendly staff spoke English and we could relax in a nice restaurant amongst the chaos of Stockholm's tourist district. Probably best to work up an appetite before going so that you can get good value for your Swedish Krona.

Pros: Buffet, Reasonable price (for Stockholm), Healthy yummy food options
pradipd
pradipd

Intimate, cosy, location

4 Posted on 08 / 10 / 2012

It is bang in the center of Old Town and the only vegetarian restaurant there. So, it is perfect for lunch, though they close early and may not be appropriate for dinner. But the best thing to do would be to arrive around 2.30 and eat to your heart's content from the buffet for 100 kronas and skip the supper. Not bad in a very expensive city!

The variety and choice and quality of food here was not the same as Hermans which is almost an institution in Stockholm. But this is more intimate and sitting outside you can indulge in a lot of people watching. The best part I liked was the jugs full of water with sprigs of mint and slices of lemon. Bring your empty bottles and fill them here.

There is a touch of Indian flavor to the cooking, though very understated. But overall very satisfying.

Pros: Location, Value, water
Cons: Limited choice
Eugene Nyunt.
Eugene Nyunt.

Sweet !

5 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2012

I ate at Hermitage once over a recent long weekend and although the cost was some 100 Krona it's more or less what you can expect to pay for eating out in the Swedish capital. I helped myself to several platefuls at around 20:30, the evening after the Jubilee Marathon. Although the closing time was set a 21:00 late arrivals weren't turned away. I thought this was quite nice, all of us going past the watershed stuffing ourselves. There were some hot items but I mainly had cold dishes. I particularly liked a grainy type salad which I consumed with hummus.

Pros: Relatively inexpensive., Nutritious., Cruelty-free.
runsten
runsten

nice for stockholm

4 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2012

Always end up here since there are not so many vegetarian restaurants in Stockholm. This is one of the best but it doesn't mean that is is great.

Service kind of strange. They always have language problems.

Nice small buffet.

Pros: vegan options, central, good for being Stockholm
Cons: service
NatalieMorrell
NatalieMorrell

Buffet lunch

3 Posted on 06 / 07 / 2012

Went here the other day, tired and hungry from a lot of travel. It cost us 110 SEK, which I thought was a bit pricey - but it was a buffet, all you can eat. In my opinion the food was a bit bland, but they had the most delicious bread (perhaps corn) to go with the soup. We had a blueberry tart to finish which cost extra, but it was the best bit in my opinion.

Pros: all you can eat
Cons: little bit bland food
aswain
aswain

Tasty and cheap (for Stockholm!)

5 Posted on 03 / 01 / 2012

We went for pie and soya lattes - it was very nice, relaxing and warm.

We went back for the buffet which was excellent - lots of different foods - great value and some seitan which was exceelent - good for Vegans!

Pros: Good value, Excellent food, relaxed atmosphere
theveganbastard
theveganbastard

fast good option

3 Posted on 10 / 28 / 2011

the place is small and workers are friendly, buffet is ok, but if you are looking for a gourmet place, I think is not the best choice, salads are so good.

abbybarker
abbybarker

Disappointing

3 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2011

Although there was lots of vegan choice on the buffet, the food was bland and not very tasty. I was really looking forward to eating here and was disappointed.

Pros: Lots of vegan choice, Buffet, Friendly staff
Cons: Bland food
groovyvegan
groovyvegan

Lots of delicious vegan options!

5 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2011

Hermitage Restaurant, in walking distance from our hotel in the touristy area (Gamla Stan) was a God-send and we ate 4 meals there. The restaurant has a vegetarian hot and cold buffet, with many vegan options. In fact, the only hot foods option that was not vegan was the vegetarian lasagna, which my husband enjoyed. Each time we were there, there were new options, and we greatly enjoyed the food, both hot and cold dishes. We thought the lentil dahl soup was awesome, as good or better than we've had in Indian restaurants. Their bread was excellent, as was their hummus, and a stew containing vegetables and a soy meat. They have free, good-tasting water in the back right-hand corner.

There's also a deli area where you can buy desserts, and I was surprised that all the pies except one was vegan. Both fruit pies I had were delicious.

The downside is that the restaurant is small and often crowded, with the buffet tucked in a corner. Sometimes at dinner, the staff has trouble keeping up with removing dirty dishes, so you can be forced to look at a dirty dish that someone near-by left. But when it comes to the food and the prices, no compaints. The staff speaks good enough English that they can answer any questions about the food. My husband and I were delighted to find such delicious food in the touristy part of Stockholm, and would not hesitate to eat there again.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Delicious Food, Staff speaks English
Cons: Small & Crowded at peak times, Staff can be slow to clear dishes, Eating outside subjects you to smokers.
thebadfairy
thebadfairy

Popular Value.

5 Posted on 05 / 01 / 2011

Hermitage is a vegetarian buffet, with a few vegan options, for around 90SEK. Food changes daily based on availability. It is really good value for money and well located on Gamla Stan. On a recent trip to Stockholm I think we had almost 4/5 lunches here. It is very popular, for good reason, so sometimes you may have to wait 5 minutes for a seat.

Pros: Value, Good food, Great location
Toliban
Toliban

5 Posted on 04 / 03 / 2011

Maybe the cheapest prices among vegan/vegeterian cafes in Stockholm (100 SEK for large plate with meals and salads for your choice + 5 SEK organic tea). It's situated directly in the center of the city.

Pros: Location., Nice interior and staff., Not crowded.
olia_m
olia_m

Nice place nicely located

3 Posted on 12 / 19 / 2010

The place is nice and cozy, the staff is friendly, the location is perfect.
The food is okay, though nothing special. Anyway it'll do, when you are hungry:)

Pros: excellent location, quite low prices, friendly staff
Cons: boring food, but not that bad
shapesh1ft
shapesh1ft

The cheapest vegan friendly buffet in town?

4 Posted on 10 / 29 / 2010

The buffet is very good for vegans and prices are probably the cheapest in Stockholm. The place is very popular/crowded during the lunch hours as it sits in old town.

Pros: Price, Food
Cons: Crowded
adamrowland
adamrowland

A great lunch place while out sightseeing

4 Posted on 10 / 04 / 2010

Hermitage is located on a popular and beautiful street in Stockholm's old town in an area called Gamla Stan. We went for lunch and thoroughly enjoyed what was on offer.

Lunch (and dinner) consists of a buffet selection. We had some very tasty salad selections including a delicious vegan potato salad. We also had some excellent hot food which, on that day, were large balls (similar to falafel) containing (what i think was) veg suet and a variety of vegetables. There is a different hot special on a daily basis - sometimes it is vegan and sometimes just vegetarian.

A great laid-back atmosphere inside with plump cushions and warming Scandinavian pine. It does get busy, but we went for a late lunch around 2pm and didn't have a problem getting a table. Lunch was 90SEK.

Pros: Delicious, Friendly, Location
Cons: Small buffet, Can get busy
Cara Cara
Cara Cara

Yummy, cozy and good location

4 Posted on 09 / 24 / 2010

Great buffet with high quality food. Nice atomsphere.

Pros: healthy food, fresh
eye of judgement
eye of judgement

Great for lunch on a rainy day

3 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2010

We spent quite some time in this place due to the horrible weather that hang over Stockholm during the day of our visit. The food was very nice and the atmosphere as well.
The food was the regular vegetarian grub, like lasagna, soup, bread (good bread!), rice and a sort of goulash.

Good place if you're in Gamla Stan, but nothing to go out of your way for

Pros: nice vibe, all you can eat, good bread
Cons: little choice
sglcklch
sglcklch

Best vegetarian buffet I've ever had

5 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2010

Good location, easy to find. Not a lot of choices, but everything was yummy. SEK 90 for lunch and 100 for dinner as at the date of writing, all-you-can-eat including bread, falafel, excellent value.

Pros: great value, location
iddewes
iddewes

Nice food and friendly staff

5 Posted on 06 / 30 / 2010

Really good food here and it was the cheapest vegetarian buffet I had. Friendly staff and nice decor. Good location, right in Gamla Stan.

Pros: Good food, friendly staff , nice ambience
Veganismus
Veganismus

The best vegan food in Stockholm

5 Posted on 06 / 12 / 2010

If you want to enjoy eating outside as a vegan in Stockholm Hermitage is the place! Nice service and fresh tasty food! You have to try it!!!

Pros: Tasty, Exiting, Well combined food
Cons: -, -, -
Maddi
Maddi

A wonderful haven for vegans

4 Posted on 02 / 28 / 2010

This place is a little gem that my husband and I discovered thanks to your website - a really small chilled unpretentious veggie restaurant in the beautiful Gamla Stan Old Town - buffet style food and while there is not a great deal of choice the dishes they provide are so tasty it doesn't matter - reasonably priced too particularly for it's location & the takeaway option provided enough food to keep two hungry adults fed for 3 meals! After a trip up to the arctic north of Sweden where if you didn't want pickled fish or elk meat there was no other option but gloopy noodles we were desperate to get back to Stockholm for some proper food & the Hermitage spicy veg tangine was just heavenly!

Pros: Fabulous food, reasonable prices
Cons: Small cafe, Doesn't serve alcohol
rockcita
rockcita

vegan food in a non-vegan city

4 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2009

This centrally located restaurant bills itself as "the only vegetarian restaurant in Stockholm". It offers about 12 items, plus bread and soup for 85 SEK (about 12 bucks). Its buffet style, so you're free to go though the line again if you're still hungry. Although its not a fancy place and only seats about 30, it is very clean, has a friendly English speaking staff, and has a decent restroom. Vegan food is hard to find in Stockholm and after a week of ordering meatless-cheeseless-mayoless whoppers at Burger King (which got me some very strange looks), finding Hermitage was like a finding a piece of heaven. They have a great website www.hermitagegastrogate.com. Its in Swedish, but has a great map and has hours and prices posted.

Pros: friendly, good and plentiful food, great location
Cons: closed Mondays
X-tul23
X-tul23

Nice buffet

3 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2009

A nice small place with a 100% vegetarian buffet. Nothing very special, but it all tasted good and it was very relaxed. The location in the heart of the old town makes it a good place for a quick break.

Pros: Location, 100% vegetarian, good athmosphere
Cons: Limited choice of food
azna
azna

Boring

2 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2009

It's a quite cozy place, but the buffet does not have so much to offer.. Fresh vegetables, cooked vegetables, bulgur, lasagna, and some soup. Nothing exiting and it didn't taste that much either. I haven't tried the salads, they might be good, though I don't think I'll go there again anyway.

astalia
astalia

Warm and delicious

3 Posted on 12 / 12 / 2008

this place was a lovely respite from the snow. i love the swedish buffet style of food - and even though there wasn't much of a variety it was all delicous. there was soup and felafels and really good hummas. I suppose it wasn't great quality but it was cheap and and warm the people were nice.

Dear Owner and Manager of Hermitage: