Also known as Zen restaurant. Makes traditional Japanese food in vegetarian style. Dec 2012 reopened at current location which is one street away from previously at 122 Middle Road 02-02, Midlink Plaza. Same menu as before. NOTE: Reportedly using mayonnaise in their sushi and use dairy in their desserts,check first before ordering-please inform HappyCow. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Japanese

Lea
Lea

Favourite Singapore restaurant

Posted on 10 / 15 / 2014

This was the best restaurant we tried in our brief stopover in Singapore in March this year. The food was absolutely heavenly.

Not everything on the menu was vegan, but the staff were very knowledgeable and helpful about what was in everything so we could feel confident.

I can't remember everything we had - see photos above. Some wonderful braised veggies, seitan skewers, a bento set and desserts.

It's not a low budget place, but prices are at par with what we are used to paying at home for this kind of high quality and beautiful setting.

I will definitely be returning to Singapore again in the future to eat here and the other range of great vegan and vegetarian restaurants.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday October 15, 2014

Pros: Fantastic food, Helpful staff, Lovely decor and ambience
Cons: Not 100% vegan, but staff are helpful
Kiwi Wannabe
Kiwi Wannabe

Vegans Don't Have to Give Up Sushi!

Posted on 07 / 20 / 2014

Herbivore offers fantastic vegetarian Japanese food.

The staff are very friendly and remember customers who visit multiple times and any specific food requests they have. (I.e. no mayonnaise, vegan, etc)

They have an expansive menu which is bound to have something for everyone. The avocado, "eel" and "salmon" sushi are our favorites as well as the roasted eggplant appetizer.

We've taken carnivores here who loved it too. Herbivore is a terrific example of vegetarian Japanese and proof that you don't have to give up good tasting food to eat with compassion!

Pros: Friendly staff, Outdoor seating, Sushi!!!
+++VeGaNiSaToR+++
+++VeGaNiSaToR+++

not vegan

Posted on 08 / 08 / 2013

Please remove this restaurant in the vegetarian part".
It's very very expensive (the most of all I tried)and the food is not good. Prefer to go in Tracy Juice in the same mall for noodles and shake.

MaggieWaiThengElf
MaggieWaiThengElf

1st time had japanese vege

Posted on 06 / 02 / 2013

At 1st I looked at the menu, i saw sashimi.... it looks REAL!!! I asked waitress is it vege....
Taste really good!!!
Must try!!!
No Need to give a lot of comment, but just go and try it!!

But cost not cheap also

lasm
lasm

Herbivore - top Japanese vegan stall

Posted on 08 / 12 / 2012

We went there on Father's Day, being more expensive than its cousin Zen restaurant next door, which was closed due to building renovation. The bento set is $21 but full of goodies.. What to say ?? Everything is nice there ! The food taste good, the cooking smelled good in the dining room. We ordered vegan versions of noodles, tempura, tofu and kongbu (sp) a lovely green seaweed. Expensive but excellent... for three people easily top $80.

Pros: wok-energy, vegan mostly, great taste
Cons: expensive
Peace ...
Peace ...

Lured to Herbivore ...

Posted on 05 / 21 / 2012

Live to eat... Eat to live. Great tasting Vegetarian Japanese Cuisine at Herbivore. Herbivoure is a Japanese Western Vegetarian Restaurant located in the one of Vegetarian Food Havens - Bugis. Although it serves Western Vegetarian dishes, we decided to go for Japanese Vegetarian Food, the reason was that it looks appetizing and authentic Vegetarian Japanese Food is not so common in the vegetarian food scene.
Was glad that the dishes were not only well presented but also tastes good too and we have a satisfactory meal. A meatless lover does not have to forgo great tasting food! How wonderful.

raphalla
raphalla

Excellent but might not suit those on the budget

Posted on 04 / 01 / 2012

Japanese style food, a bento at around SGD 22. All food we ordered were well done, taste really good and well presented. We (4 adults, a child and a baby in pram) went there for dinner on Saturday night and we had to leave almost right after the meal as there were people q up for a table. Excellent place to eat, but surely not to hang up during peak time. The space between one table to another is not generous as the restaurant is not very big. They have high chair for children and breastfeeding in the restaurant is accepted (i asked and the waiter said no issue).

Pros: Food
Cons: Price
cocoholic
cocoholic

Impressive Food!

Posted on 01 / 21 / 2012

This was one of my favourite restaurants in Singapore. I've never been to a vegetarian Japanese restaurant and their food was so delicious! I had a Japanese mock meat curry set which was so good I ordered the same the second time we went there. I only missed some matcha drinks/deserts on their menu. And the prices are not exactly cheap, but it's really good quality.

jamaicaninchina
jamaicaninchina

The Jamaican in China's Top Pick in Singapore

Posted on 01 / 09 / 2012

I went to Singapore recently, found it to be a "vegan's heaven," had to leave to visit a friend in Manila, and promptly returned within a few days, for no other reason but the great food selection, AND specifically for this restaurant!

Zen Japanese Restaurant is on the 2nd Floor of Midlink Plaza and was walking distance from the relatively inexpensive hostels in Little India.

The food at Zen was fantastic! And while that may sound like an indulgence in hyperbole, after spending the previous six months in various cities in China (which were great, but not particularly vegan-friendly)the Singpore restaurant landscape was a dream come true.

Zen offers soups, several kinds of rice dishes (no brown rice, though) lots of mock meats, sushi and the crispy chicken nuggets....ahhhhhh! My favorite dishes were, yes, the crispy chicken nuggets (in photo), and the tomato spring rolls (also shown). You can mix and match several dishes by ordering in "sets." I went back about four times in one week and still have pages of menu to get to! I got stuck on page one.

The staff was friendly, the presentation of the dishes was visually appealing, and a second floor window seat gives a nice view of the comings and goings of the Singapore street traffic.

Not only would I recommend it, but I would consider it an unforgivable offense if, after being convinced by my review, you didn't wrap up a serving of chicken nuggets and mail it to me after you visit!

[This is an extended appetizer taste of the Jamaican in China Singapore Restaurant Review featured in "Jamaican in China: Guess Who's Coming to Dim Sum" book version of my blog!]

Location: 122 Middle Road #02-02,
Second floor of Midlink Plaza
Tel: 6883 1586
Opening Hours: 11.30am to 2.30pm, 6pm - 10pm

Pros: great food, great service, great presentation
Cons: closes between 2:30 and 6pm
eatinglessmeat
eatinglessmeat
  • non-vegetarian

Love It!

Posted on 10 / 28 / 2011

Just our first meal there a couple of weeks ago, and all six in our party were very pleased and we will be returning very soon. The tempura and gyoza were nothing to shout about, but the unagi sushi and the avocado sushi were absolutely to die for!! In fact, I can have some of that sushi right this minute! The two at our table that had the cold green noodles were happy with their choices, and the miso soup had the thumb-up too. And everybody should at least try the sashimi -- it is as real as anything can possibly get! The prices were reasonable, considering the sizes of the servings and the quality.

Pros: yummicious, reasonably priced, good-size portions
Cons: noisy acoustics
AntaryaminBrahman
AntaryaminBrahman

Excellent

Posted on 10 / 01 / 2011

First class food, good ambiance, friendly staff, reasonable price!

Pros: sumptious , reasonable price, good variety
Vonnie Bryton
Vonnie Bryton

I Love Herbivore!

Posted on 07 / 25 / 2011

Japanese vegan food is quite rare in Jakarta, so I tried Ebi Maki Roll and Uh... I forgot the name and it taste so yummy!! I really love the desert! Yum~~ Recommended!

Pros: Clean, Friendly-staff
Cons: Quite expensive
Sylviaong
Sylviaong
  • non-vegetarian

Nice dinner at Herbivore

Posted on 07 / 15 / 2011

I highly recommend their avocado sushi, it is very light on the tummy especially if you are looking for a healthier option. $12

My friend ordered the rice set meal which is full of variety, I have uploaded pictures here for you to see. $14.50

herbman
herbman

nice ambience

Posted on 06 / 24 / 2011

Nice ambiance. It was a wonderful experience nice staff good food. but need to wait a bit.

Pros: nice food, Friendly staff
Cons: speed
Coolman7528
Coolman7528

Luv the food & ambience!!

Posted on 08 / 18 / 2010

Juz know this Japanese Veg. Rest recently & went to the restaurant quite a few times already...

I Luv the food very much! the soba, sushi, set meal is worth trying too!! The Eel SEt Meal is very tasty but my friends who dun like rice stuff, dun really fancy it but we both luv the green tea soba & cha soba v.v.much!! BEancurd sushi & california maki is definitely Muz Try for the restaurant!! If you would like dessert, the ice-cream is worth trying too!! Will definitely go there real soon again!!

Pros: Very Tasty Food, Gd Ambience

Dear Owner and Manager of Herbivore - Zen: