Berkeley vegan restaurant serving contemporary vegetarian cuisine for breakfast, lunch, and dinner everyday. Wide range of offerings from fresh squeeze juices and pancakes to sandwiches, salads, main entrees, and cocktails. Casual, modern decor. There are 2 more locations in San Francisco city. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, American, International, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out
2451 Shattuck Ave (Haste)
Berkeley, California 94704
510-665-1675

Open Sun-Thur 9am-10pm, Fri-Sat 9am-11pm.

First Review by mizzrizz
Pete- old energy
Pete- old energy

Surprising

4 Posted on 09 / 05 / 2014

The food, not the ambiance or the service, is what makes Herbivore a worthwhile stop. Twice I have eaten there in the past 6 months, once for lunch, and other for dinner. Both menus are extensive, and the results that I have tasted have been excellent. Do not over order- the portions are generous and filling.

Regarding the service, for lunch it was carelessly written down with a couple of errors. The dinner server did a fine job and her personality was exactly lively and informative enough to fit our needs.

The restaurant needs an overhaul, but I guess with the amazingly low prices one should not complain. The location is not in the richer part of Berkeley, and so making it more expensive would clearly hurt business. Perhaps they should open another place in North Berkeley and make it more elaborate, and with just a bit more care about presentation.

Pros: Excellent Food, Mostly friendly staff, Wonderfully low prices
Cons: Appearance is very plain, Regular staff performance
Vegger123
Vegger123

Best of the trip

5 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2014

The atmosphere was great, the service was great, food came out on time, and it tasted delicious.

FoodAndLoathing
FoodAndLoathing

Nice vegan diner

4 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2014

I like Herbivore because it's decent and not overly expensive and although it's not pushing any boundaries, it's a good quality vegan diner. I've been known to kill time here, drinking pomegranate ice cream floats waiting for time to pass at the bar with a book. Every time I go in here, I run into someone I know because all the vegans know each other (kinda sad, huh?). If you want a nice sammy and some salad or other standard fare, this is a good place. I like their charbroiled veggies. I like their potato salad. I like to grab a bite here now and then.

I think they need better coffee, though.

Pros: diner food, decent, reasonable prices
Cons: coffee isn't great

RuthDonnelly
RuthDonnelly

Herbivore - Berkeley

5 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2014

The best! I had the grilled veggie sandwich on Acme bread, with sides of roasted potatoes and salad. Every bite was delicious. My husband had the Indian Wrap, which was also terrific. We couldn't resist finishing up with a Coconut Bliss chocolate shake. Our server was very helpful and when he didn't know the answer to a question about an ingredient, he promptly went to find out. All in all, a wonderful dining experience! If I lived here, I would eat at Herbivore regularly.

Pros: Delicious Food, Helpful Staff, Nice Ambience
TheVeganOfAus
TheVeganOfAus

Did someone say solid?

4 Posted on 07 / 18 / 2014

In a very funky art deco building - hard to believe they got it so right in 2004!

Herbivore is good. It's a diner with mostly predictable items - but that's fine because we need that too, and they do it well. I remember the cheese-steak sandwich was very good. The kids also liked their meals a lot - but TBH I can't remember now what they got!

It is a diner style restaurant but it's different to, and much nicer than, the cheap and nasty diners I'm used to seeing on American TV. I'd happily bring someone special here.

It was a good meal. Thanks Herbivore.

Pros: Supposedly it's solid., Plenty of options, All vegan
Seahorsea
Seahorsea

Solid vegan breakfast

4 Posted on 06 / 18 / 2014

I avoided Herbivore for a few years, based on their mixed reviews. Finally, I was in Berkeley, with my non-veg dad, and I finally had to try the place.
We had a very pleasant dining experience. Our waitress was pretty attentive, and our food was really quite lovely. Straight-forward vegan diner breakfast. I had the crepes with pesto sauce, and they did not skimp on the sauce, which earns lots of points! My dad was also very pleased with his tofu veggie scramble.
I wouldn't call this food innovative, gourmet, or mind-blowing.
But I would call it healthy, delicious, filling, and perfect for breakfast for a day in Berkeley. I ate every bite on my plate and it kept me full all day.
I am not scared of Herbivore anymore...I would go back!

Pros: decent portions, good people watching, good breakfast
evea
evea

Hecka Solid

4 Posted on 06 / 07 / 2014

I really enjoy Herbivore. It's a very nice environment to eat in with the big windows. I've had the Fajitas, Swarma wrap, the quinoa cake, the Indonesian salad and the combo breakfast. All of them tasted great and I never left a scrap on my plate. There's nothing unexpected or super creative - it's your typical café food done vegan style. The service is fast. It's nice to see a 100% vegan restaurant so popular with lots of regulars. They also allow some animal rights literature there which is AWESOME (Walk the talk! Souly Vegan also allows this). I come here regularly for a meal I can count on.

Pros: Solid timeless dishes done vegan, Nice environment for sit-down, Good fast service
Cons: Not hyper creative, but who cares
elme1890
elme1890

A vegan diner, what more could you ask for?

5 Posted on 05 / 27 / 2014

Herbivore is a very unique experience. I have been vegan for a couple years and I have to say that I have always missed the diner experience. Whether it is ordering a giant breakfast or comfort food for dinner, herbivore has a certain sense of nostalgia to it.

On to the food. Herbivore is very creative, and for any vegan out there who hates going to a restaurant and having only a few items to choose from, herbove gives you a gigantic menu to choose from. The first night we were there, I had a meatball sandwich, and my wife had a shawarma wrap. They were both tasty, not necessarily perfect but definitely hit the spot. Their potato salad that it came with was delicious and fresh. Our second trip was for breakfast and we were blown away. We had the western tofu scramble and french toast. I highly recommend coming for breakfast.

Despite the occasional negative review we had a great couple meals at herbivore. We came at off times so perhaps it gets a bit too busy here and there. Despite this, you can tell that Herbivore is a restaurant that tries hard and delivers tasty and good quality food to its customers. Will return again

Pros: tasty food, large quantities, massive menu
Cons: food isn't the best in berkeley
rwalker
rwalker

Sad Service

2 Posted on 03 / 02 / 2014

We chose Herbivore because of a friend's recommendation. The restaurant was filthy. We were one of only a few customers when we arrived. The service was awful. The employees seemed annoyed that we were there. The food was just ok.

Pros: Vegan, Location
Cons: Service, Staff, Food
earthville
earthville

Delicious

4 Posted on 02 / 05 / 2014

We've had many meals at the original San Francisco location, but just had our first two at the Berkeley branch. We found the food to be the same and the atmosphere to be preferable here — less crowded and more relaxed and conducive to conversation.

The shwarma is good, as ever, as are the fresh juices. The nachos (with homemade cashew "cheese") are among the best vegan nachos we've had. Good soup, too.

The service we received was mixed. The server on our first visit might be best described as being just on the agreeable side of indifferent, but he got the job done and we enjoyed our meal. By contrast, the server on our second visit was very warm and attentive.

Updated from previous review on Tuesday January 21, 2014

Pros: varied menu, good flavors, fresh juices, quieter atmosphere than the SF location, all vegan
Cons: service inconsistent
Lily925
Lily925

I'm in love

5 Posted on 08 / 06 / 2013

We had the pesto pizza and it was wonderful. We came here after having a disappointing meal at Cha Ya so we didn't get to try alot. If the rest is as good as this we are in for a treat when we return to try other items off of the huge menu.

Pros: excellent food, large menu, friendly, great value
Cons: none this time around
calivegan46
calivegan46

Absolutely delicious!

5 Posted on 07 / 30 / 2013

Whenever I am in Berkeley I have to eat here. The food is so flavorful and the restaurant has a nice vibe. There are so many dishes to choose from. Most recently I ordered the lemongrass noodles and I couldn't imagine it to be better. My only disappointment is that I wish they had a location in LA!

Diogenes Laertius
Diogenes Laertius

disatisfied diner

2 Posted on 05 / 23 / 2013

I had lunch here on May 21, 2013. Ordered Pad Thai and substituted the tofu for the seitan. It was the worst seitan I've ever had. It tasted mass-produced. I was very dissapointed.

Pros: friendly staff
Cons: food was bland, seitan was terrible
Catlady333
Catlady333

Fantastic breakfasts

5 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2013

We traveled from Sonoma County to eat here. Was it worth the drive? YES. We loved our green juice, loved our pancakes, and loved the tofu scramble. I had read about the possible bad service but our service was just fine. Would make the drive again in a heartbeat.

Pros: green juice, amazing breakfast, extensive menu
Sekhmet
Sekhmet

ok..i guess..

3 Posted on 02 / 17 / 2013

I got the cheese steak and their 'fried potatoes' ? The cheese steak i could've easily made at home for way cheaper. The fried potatoes were cold, dry, and grease laden, just kinda yucky, i would've probably left most of them, but i was starving, and my sandwich was on the very small side.
My husband ordered a bowl of curry ramen soup with beef tips added for an extra $1.00 and they brought out a big bowl that was only half way filled with soup... ? I knew I should have gotten the lentil loaf with mashed potatoes instead, but the price scared me away seeing as we were there for lunch, and i didn't feel like spending the extra $$ on it.
However if i decide to return, I will go to the one in SF , and i will get an entree instead of a sandwich. I dont know maybe it will be better, I hate spending hard earned money on food that's just okay. Waitress was nice, Drink order took a while. We finished our meals, then our drinks finally arrived after the plates were cleared away.

Pros: Vegan friendly, lots of choices, fresh juices
Cons: a bit pricey , fried potatoes , my portion was small
veganjess86
veganjess86

best vegan place in berkeley

5 Posted on 12 / 11 / 2012

They have a huge menu with something for everyone, salads, sandwiches, mexican, and an awesome brunch! Totally reasonable prices, delicious food, and a full bar!

JohnKeith
JohnKeith

From one extreme to the other...

3 Posted on 10 / 28 / 2012

We stopped in on Friday night (Oct 19) and had an incredible dining experience. Great food, great service. Reminded me of the Michelin 3 diamond awards which means the restaurant is worth making a special trip to visit. We returned the following Saturday afternoon (Oct 27) hoping for a repeat experience, and wondered if we were in the same place. The waitress who had provided the amazing service a week ago, was bossy, authoritative and prickly, as well as providing the bare minimum of service. Oh well, we thought, there will still be amazing food. Well, we WERE amazed. Although one of our items was still delicious, the rest were barely okay. When we paid the bill, we were asked how things were, and we recounted our experience. We got a brusque "Sorry" and he went on to the next customer. We left feeling a bit like the restaurant had a split personality disorder. After reading some of the other reviews, I can see we weren't the only ones. Well, on to the ratings. 5 cows for the first visit, 1 for the second, works out to an average of 3 cows. Should we go back? Still undecided.

Pros: Good food if you are lucky, Good servuce if you are lucky
Cons: Bad food if you are not , Bad service if you are not
reut.ko1
reut.ko1

YUMM (two thumbs up from Israel)

5 Posted on 09 / 22 / 2012

I was visiting California (from Israel) and looking on Happy Cow for a nice place to eat. Finding this place really upgraded my stay at Berkeley- reminding me of delicious meals I haven't eaten in a long while (they got the dairy and meat supplements taste just right). I came with my open minded carnivore siblings- my brother had a pizza and my sister the falafel and I had the grilled chicken sandwich... we finished up with an incredible piece of german chocolate cake. All were deliciously unforgettable dishes! I highly recommend 

sandykaren
sandykaren

Can't rave enough about the shawarma

4 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2012

Upon the recommendation of the waitress, I had the "Chicken" Shawarma and it was amazing. It was a huge portion and also came with a side salad that was good, so I would say at $9, it was a pretty good value. Even my non-vegan friend thought it was wonderful. He had the spaghetti and meatballs which were just okay, but he's dying to return so he can get the Shawarma. The menu is varied and looks really good. I'll definitely return to try some of the other things. There were only two waitress and it looked like a few people left in a huff when they didn't get acknowledged. Our service was not bad, but they definitely need to hire more staff.

Pros: Great shawarma, Variety, good value
Cons: not enough wait staff
elizan
elizan

Never again

2 Posted on 05 / 15 / 2012

A few things on the menu are fantastic, a lot more are dreadful- stay away from anything that is supposed to be Italian! The philly cheesesteak sandwich is good, and the Irish Coffee is to die for. The breakfast potatoes manage to be both dry and greasy. They recently changed the menu, taking away options and making things more expensive, and, I've been told, the formerly delicious southwest scramble is now awful.
The service is almost always terrible, too- I used to take a bottle of water in my purse because it was impossible to get refills. I went early last Sunday, there were only two other tables with people. We were seated and given water (!!!) promptly, but then waited fifteen minutes without being approached by a server. There were two servers working in addition to the busboy who seated us, and we saw them standing around, cleaning other tables, chatting, and staring out the window. After fifteen minutes we got up and left.

Pros: a few delicious options
Cons: terrible service, bland food
chompster
chompster

Comfort food without the guilt. . . or pain.

4 Posted on 02 / 10 / 2012

Herbivore is a great place for vegans and vegetarians to get all of the "comfort" foods without touching and dairy or meat products. They have fantastic mock chicken (kung pao chicken is a must!) and their butternut squash ravioli in cream sauce tastes better than the real thing! The only thing to be aware of is that their dishes vary A LOT (quinoa not recommended). Some are great, others not so much. Remember, you're going to a vegan restaurant, so the food will be more watery and lighter than the dishes most of us are/were used to seeing. But, the atmosphere is relaxed and they have a great variety of items to choose from! It's also a bit pricey for college students, but definitely worth it if you're in the mood for a nice night out.

Pros: Variety
Cons: Pricey
Guest

Good

4 Posted on 01 / 14 / 2012

Update: Went back, had a different server who was fabulous. She made me a special order of a coffee shake with Kahlua in it. Mmmm.... The fire alarm upstairs went off right when they brought our food, but the waitress helped us drag a table and chairs outside and we had our meal on the sidewalk. LOL. Again, food was okay, but this time the service made up for it.
________________________________________________________
The food was definitely good and creative, but not something that makes me say "I HAVE to go back!" Cocktails looked yummy, but didn't try them because they had a great deal on beer and appetizers. Service was kinda bland, but definitely adequate. All in all, no complaints, but nothing special. I live about an hour away, so I wouldn't make the drive just to go there, and if I was in the area I would want to try some other vegan eateries. But I wouldn't not go back and would recommend as a place to get a quick bite and drinks.
Updated from previous review on Thursday April 14, 2011

Pros: Good Price, Serves Drinks, Creative options
Cons: Parking
Jeansthill
Jeansthill

Good food but bad service

3 Posted on 11 / 20 / 2011

The food here was good. I had a tofu scramble that was really good. The service was bad. The server seemed very annoyed by us ordering and for asking for refils on our drinks. She was not polite at all. I would for sure go back again but will not expect good service.

Pros: Good brunch food
Cons: bad service
VeganporVida
VeganporVida

WOO HOO!!!!!

5 Posted on 10 / 25 / 2011

I am a Herbivore stalker!!! I will drive 45mins 1 way for a cookie, this is the spot! Everything a Vegan could want PLUS it's ORGANIC!!! The portions are huge, delicious and the staff is ALWAYS kind. I love the Lasagne but every dish makes my mouth water.the Smoothies are to live for and I dare not forget the desserts oh Herbivore I'm yours.....

Pros: Excellent food, excellent service, 2 minute walk from BART
Cons: they close, I live in Sac, can't eat there enough
rana
rana

Vegan dream

5 Posted on 09 / 10 / 2011

Coming from a small metro area with few totally vegan restaurants, Herbivore was an absolute dream. Here we found a varied, casual menu with surprisingly affordable prices and incredible shakes! Their late breakfast menu was greatly appreciated during our visit to Berkeley. Their scrambled tofu was the closest to scrambled eggs I have ever had and our numerous meals here were very memorable for us. I want an Herbivore in St. Petersburg, FL!

Pros: Affordable, Delicious, Pleasant staff/atmosphere
Cons: Not in my area :(
M.T.
M.T.

beyond comfort food

5 Posted on 08 / 30 / 2011

Herbivore is one of my favorite vegan restaurants in Berkeley. They have a large menu with a little bit of everything. One of the problems I have with this is making up my mind what to order! Their portions are large, the food is incredibly fresh and the price is right. They even make delicious cocktails with fresh juices.

Pros: tasty, large portions, affordable
Cons: too many choices
pepperka
pepperka

Meh

2 Posted on 08 / 28 / 2011

When I first moved here, I was in love with Herbivore. Maybe it was because I'd never seen such a wide variety of vegan dishes on one menu? Unfortunately that seems to mean they do a lot of things, but all of it sub-par instead of focusing on one style and getting it right. And the service... oh man. It's gone steeply downhill in the last year. For example, in one recent dinner we had a server who seemed annoyed at us for ordering items that were out of stock (not that she told us ahead of time they were out of things), got an order wrong and huffed her way back to get a correct dish, and straight up forgot another order. Look, I've been a server, and the job isn't all sunshine and rainbows, but seriously now.

On the plus side, they have okay cocktails that are decently priced during happy hour... not that the servers tell you when it's happy hour, but whatever. It's hit or miss with the amount of alcohol they use so keep that in mind. Another plus is the coconut noodle soup. It's not any kind of traditional for any culture, but it's tasty. Be warned they have been very skimpy on the veggies as of late. The side salads are always delicious, and the chocolate cake is pretty yummy. I do love they open early and close fairly late, but for late food I'd suggest a certain veg diner just a few blocks away... the service there is "out of this world!"

If you do go to Herbivore, definitely skip the "seasoned potatoes." They are a gross interpretation of a non-fried french fry, and from the texture "oven baked" must mean microwave. Ew.

Sorry Herbivore, I've given you so many chances because I really wanted to like you...

Pros: open early, closes late, drinks
Cons: overpriced, bad service
crewumiami
crewumiami

Lots of choices

5 Posted on 04 / 23 / 2011

I was in town visiting and I wasn't sure if I should check it out because some of the reviews were not so great, but I have realized that you cant always go by what people say. First of all, there menu was impressive. I don't recall seeing so many different options available. The food was awesome and so were the dessert. I had the carrot cake and it was so moist and so good. They have vegan cocktails to drink, but perhaps next time in town, I will have one!! For sure a must go to place if visiting!

Pros: excellent food, good value, great portions
vegan_geek
vegan_geek

Great food. Good vibe.

4 Posted on 02 / 11 / 2011

Herbivore is one of my long time favorites. For the first 25 times I went there I only ate the seitan shawarma because it was so good. Then they stared making a "chicken shawarma". I finally branched out and tried other items such as the grilled tempeh sandwitch, "beef" cheese steak and fried rice. Everything is good. Don't go home without trying the carrot cake. I do not like carrot cake but theirs is fantastic.

Pros: Food, Atmosphere
Cons: parking
MizzB
MizzB

Vegan Powerhouse

5 Posted on 01 / 19 / 2011

Varied menu, excellent food, beautiful presentation, friendly and knowledgeable staff. Ate there last week. Had the falafel wrap with potatoes and egglant - good value, very filling. Convenient location, yet can get busy during peak times, with parking being a challenge during those times as well, so go off peak if possible.

Pros: excellent food, all vegan, beautiful presentation
VeganVixen
VeganVixen

Good Experiences

4 Posted on 10 / 25 / 2010

Most of what I have eaten here was delicious. My favs are the BLT, the shawarma wrap and the "chicken" ceaser salad. Oh they also make a good milkshake in my opinion. We once ordered the gnocci at the SF location and that was the only thing I've ever had that was not so delicious. They have a great selection of vegan breakfast items such as waffles and pancakes which are hard to find anywhere else. I feel lucky to have this restaurant so nearby. :-)

featherives
featherives

Great pancakes

4 Posted on 09 / 29 / 2010

I've had a few meals at Herbivore. My favorite was the pancake breakfast. The donuts and milkshakes are also fantastic. The food is a little salty, but it's still great! One of my favorites with my mom!

Service is good too.

Pros: Good service, Great pancakes, Great desserts.
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Big difference between locations

3 Posted on 09 / 17 / 2010

If you likepoor service and like to eat your meal with no water/drinks, this is the place for you. I was very disappointed in this location, especially since I had an amazing meal with good service at a different location. It just wasn't good from the beginning and maybe the fact that the restaurant only had one other table should have been a sign (while others were busy). I tried asking the waitress a few questions about the food and she just wasn't interested in answering them (and she didn't), so I just ordered the pesto tofu scramble. The scramble was bland and so were the potatoes that went with it, definitely not worth it. Now my meal wasn't a fluke because the same thing happened with my friend's meal. The waitress never really came back to our table and never bothered filling our glasses with water - now I understand if the restaurant was busy but she seriously only had one other table. I finally got up and asked for some water and when she brought some over she wasn't friendly. The food is definitely not worth poor treatment, I'm giving this place 3 cows for the food, but 0 for the service.

Tigra220
Tigra220

Extremely Disappointing :(

2 Posted on 08 / 13 / 2010

I obviously just ordered the wrong thing. The Kung Pao "chicken" was just awful. Neither spicy nor Kung-Pao-ish. A much better vegan Kung-Pao can be found in the frozen section at my local WholeFoods stores for 1/2 the cost. I split the chili bowl w/my sister & it also was bland & just tasteless. smh The cornbread was good though, as was the milkshake. And I agree 100% with the reviewers here & on HappyCow about the attitudes of some of the waiters/waitresses. I was very close to going off on ours. I think I'll just try the one in San Francisco next time. This one was just way too disappointing.

Pros: nice location & setup
Cons: Bland food, Rude & unpleasant waitress
icecreamsodalc
icecreamsodalc

I love it!

5 Posted on 04 / 13 / 2010

This place is so yummy and it is just such a fun atmosphere. I have brought some of my meat eater friends and they love it too! They have lots of tasty options, and their pie is great. I haven't tried their bar, but it looks good.

Pros: friendly staff, healthy food, great variety
Cons: can be pricey
carl myers
carl myers

Great food. Great service.

5 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2009

I was recently at the Herbivore in San Francisco for a morning brunch. I was impressed with all four of our meals (we shared). The price was fair, service was very good, all in all a good experience. I will definitely go back when we are back in SF.

Pros: great food, friendly staff, little waiting
vegman444
vegman444

The Thrill is Gone

2 Posted on 06 / 19 / 2009

Herbivore in San Francisco used to be one of my favorite spots, so when they opened one up in Berkeley I was thrilled. But now after eating there and trying just about everything on the menu, I must say that it's just not cutting it. In fact, the last 2 times I ate there I got a sour tummy a few hours later. I hate to pick on a vegan eatery (or what I assume is a vegan eatery), but their standards have really fallen. The food just doesn't taste great anymore. It's runny, mushy, boring, wilted, and uninspired. This place needs a new manager or cook to take a look at what's going on here--the vegan community is VERY small and we talk.

Pros: Hard shell tacos!, Servers are nice
Cons: Most food tastes old and mushy, Can be cold and drafty, Gotten sick from food twice now
Mimi710
Mimi710

Mmm

5 Posted on 04 / 23 / 2009

I just moved to Berkeley recently and since then I have been to the Herbivore in Berkeley twice and the one in the city once. Prior to that I had eaten at the location in the city 3 or 4 times while here on vacation. I always liked eating at Herbivore but found the food to often be mediocre. The last few trips have proved me wrong. My tastebuds have been amazed. I love eating at Herbivore. I highly recommend the portabella mushroom and sundried tomato sandwhich... mmm. The thai/curry dishes are all really good too. And if you are looking for a boozy night with friends their mixed drinks are good and then even have frambois on the menu as a beer offering. I don't recommend the ollallieberry pie but all of the other deserts I have had have been good. The Berkeley location seems to have more seating and is more spacious. Definetly check out Herbivore whether you are in the East Bay or in the City.

Pros: yummy, lots of items to chose from, ambiance
Cons: can be a bit expensive
KATHLEEN W.
KATHLEEN W.

Great place!

4 Posted on 03 / 09 / 2009

I went to two of their locations while on vacation in California. Their food is awesome!

Pros: Great food!
gardener62
gardener62

AWESOME!

5 Posted on 02 / 13 / 2009

This is a GREAT resturant! Very upbeat, friendly staff and fabulous food and a great price! You can't beat it for fast service and wonderful menu choices!

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, good value
EscapeFromSF
EscapeFromSF

Late hours!

4 Posted on 02 / 03 / 2009

I was moving late on a Friday night from the South Bay to the North Bay. Herbivore in Berkeley was on the way and it was open late.

The penne with lemon-herb cream sauce really hit the spot. The carrot cake was good. The service was good, despite the fact the waitress was trying to finish her own dinner.

Having worked in a restaurant myself, I know what it is like to interrupt one's own dinner to serve customers. When you're hungry and your dinner is getting cold, this gets really old.

The place has what appeared (from a distance) to be a full bar. Having also worked as a taxi driver, I've had more than my fill of drunks so this would ordinarily be a drawback, but this crowd seemed quite civil, possibly because by bar standards, this place closes early.

All in all, this is definitely a place I'd go again.

Pros: late hours, good location, good food
mindfulguy
mindfulguy

Good choice for Vegans

4 Posted on 01 / 19 / 2009

Big menu. I usually stick to the soups and salads. Inconsistent service and quality of food.
This is a place my carnivore friends like.

Pros: Large menu, good salads
Cons: service is inconsistent
Yeliz
Yeliz

THE vegan place to go in Berkeley

5 Posted on 12 / 12 / 2008

This is one of the most versatile vegan restaurants that knows how to prepare tasty meals. Along with Cafe Gratitude in Berkeley, M Cafe de Chaya in LA and Angelika Kitchen in New York, this is one of the few restaurants that I can and do bring my friends regardless of what their dietary choices are. Because tasty food is tasty food, and Herbivore is a good place for that. I regret having judged this place from the outer appearance and not trying it sooner. I ended up going there many times in my short stay in Berkeley, and have brought friends at many occasions. From personal experience, I know that it's a good place to go for a nice dinner with your significant other, a good place for an intimate chat with a friend over dinner or lunch, a good place for a small group, a good place for a big group lunch (15 or so would be max) and an excellent place for a satisfying breakfast. Service has been pretty decent. Do I have favorites? Oh, yes! You don't know what you're missing until you try the Southern Style Tofu Scramble for breakfast. Lentil burger is amazing! It's much more amazing than the description, and the portion is huge! I am drooling... The falafel wrap is great for lunch, as are the burritos. I haven't tried many of their soy meats because I don't favor processed foods, so no opinions there. And I was not very pleased with their noodle dishes,they tasted bland to me, but I am not a fan of Asian food so I am probably not the best person to judge. Oh and one thing that they should definitely improve is the vegan sour cream. Yes, it is processed food, but it can be tasty. Watered down Tofutti cream cheese, or something that tastes and feels like it just doesn't do the trick.
Desserts are tricky. I have had very good ones, such as the blueberry pie and ice creams, and bland ones, such as the chocolate cupcake. Their smoothies and juices are great!
Overall, this place rocks! I only wish that they keep their windows and doors more open so the place feels airy all the time.

Pros: tasty food, large menu, good for any occasion
Cons: sometimes stuffy
Humanicide
Humanicide

Killer

4 Posted on 09 / 21 / 2008

huge menu, it's hard to chose any single item. The service is real good, and the location couldn't be better. It's not too expensive, and you get quite a bit of food.

Pros: huge menu, good location
Cons: floor is rubber and your chair will fall
vduplessis
vduplessis

thank goodness they are in the East Bay!

5 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2008

I watched that "Coming Soon" sign like a hawk for YEARS! (may have only been month, but it felt like years...)

We used to schlep into the city to go to Herbivore, but we had a kid... and, well, you know the rest of the story.

AMAZING shwarma, chicken fried rice, polenta, everything curry. love to go late for desserts & cocktails.

got lasagna once & it was lukewarm, potato soy pie was salty. have to admit my kid was not impressed with their mac & cheese or tacos-- they need a kids menu for all us groovy parents that bring lacto-ovo kids.

Pros: amazing food, great cocktails, decor
Cons: slow service
SoyMilkShake
SoyMilkShake

Disappointing experience

2 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2008

My family and I lived in Southern California when we first visited the Herbivore location in San Francisco. We absolutely loved the food: the cake, the shawarma wrap, the curry, everything. So when we moved to the East Bay and discovered there was an Herbivore in Berkeley, I was, needless to say, overjoyed that good food was so close to home. However, I would soon find out that either Herbivore's quality had gone down since our initial visits or this location just flat out sucked :/

I'm guessing the latter.

We visited twice, and they were VERY inconsistent with their food. We would always order the fried rice with soy chicken for my son. First, it came sour and spongy; second time, it came very spicy and sticky. We also ordered the shawarma wrap, and it was either missing the sauce or missing some other ingredient. Oh, and don't even bother with the lasagna. I'm led to believe they were low on marinara sauce and had to compensate by adding water to the sauce. It was VERY watered down. It's safe to say that my lasagna tastes better than theirs... and I'm a horrible cook! They also served us juice from oranges that were not fresh.

On top of it all, their servers aren't very friendly. They'll take your order and whatnot, but they don't won't even crack a smile or act like they're interested in their job.

Maybe I came on bad days. Or maybe that particular location doesn't care much for quality. All I know is that my family and I won't be coming back to this Herbivore location again.

Cons: Inconsistent, Bad quality, Poor customer service
bediver
bediver

Food is really good. DESERT IS SO GOOD

4 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2008

They might not have a lot of servers at any time but the food is really good and the staff is really nice. the juice bar is also pretty cool and they will make up any kind of new drink you ask for. wicked good definitely.

also ask for the german chocolate cake. !!! or a chocolate donut with ice cream on top. Going vegan never got so easy!

Pros: Food (entrees and deserts), Price (definitely really reasonable), Attitude (everyone is happy there)
Cons: Service a little slow sometimes
Ohapril
Ohapril

Don't say you weren't warned...

2 Posted on 06 / 18 / 2008

Like so many other vegans and veggies, I waited with baited breath until Herbivore finally openened. In the beginning, I was just so excited to have a new veg place to eat in the hood that I overlooked a few instances of really bad service & mediocre food. Wait staff were rude - actually argued with me when I politely pointed out that my dish came with quinoa and not rice, which is what they gave me. This was actually for a birthday dinner where several other dishes were either completely wrong - or just sloppy. Even worse - the staff is slow & lazy. Once I actually sat & watched my food sit on the counter for a full 40 mins before it made its way to my table. I was angry at first, but then it became a joke of us betting how long it would take to get my food. The restaurant was mostly empty - there was no excuse for this type of service - except for the staff all congregating behind the counter goofing off. The table next to us was also quite peeved. Already on the fence about continuing to give this restaurant more chances, I convinced myself to give them another shot. The food was inedible & the service was worse - no water, no waiter, all while the staff again goofed off & ignored customers. I gave them at least 6 more chances to get their act together hoping they would improve (I so badly wanted them to be a successful ambassador of veggie food) but I give up. If at all possible, things had gotten worse. My food tasted as if it had sat out all day, veggies were overcooked yet cold, the food was so salty that one bite made our tongues actually sting (not exaggerating - it was disgusting!) and the mashed potatoes were obviously made with vanilla soy/rice milk. When I brought this to my server's attention, they told me that they didn't make the potatoes with vanilla soy milk. Duh! - but someone carelessly did on this occasion as there is no other clear explanation for vanilla flavored potatoes. Yuck! I did not finish my meal and felt like vomiting the rest of the night after this last horrible experience. I naturally asked to speak to the manager & was told that one wouldn't be there until Wednesday - a full 5 days later! Also, it seems there is NEVER a manager on duty there! Bottom line: there is not enough space in this review to tell you all of the many awful experiences I have suffered at Herbivore. Sadly, my friends all feel the same way and we have all vowed never to go back. R.I.P. Herbivore - you could have been great, but you suck!

Pros: None
Cons: Poor service, Bad food, No manager to speak to
P.NutButter
P.NutButter

HUGE MENU

4 Posted on 04 / 09 / 2008

Biggest vegan menu I have come across in a while with a wide variety of cuisine. I ordered the wasabi soba noodles cold, however i found it a bit lacking in flavor. my partner ordered the grilled portabello mushroom over creamy polenta. He has never liked "fake" cheese (he is NOT vegan or vegetarian), and didn't enjoy the polenta for it lacked in richness and butteriness. He thought everything else tasted good. I, on the other hand thought it tasted quite good, and better than my meal! His mother ordered the Lentil loaf which she enjoyed, especially the sauteed greens. For dessert- carrot cake. EVERYONE LOVED IT.

The atmosphere is very open, and semi-modern. We went in the winter and for some reason they left the back door open...very chilly.

The only major con- parking.

Pros: good price, huge menu
Cons: cold, parking
Tatiana
Tatiana
  • herbivore

Extensive Vegan Selection

4 Posted on 03 / 29 / 2008

Picked out Herbivore from the list of veg places in Berkeley to visit for dinner tonight. After fighting the downtown Berkeley traffic on a Friday night, we finally found a parking spot, and right across the street, lucky! The place was pretty busy but we were able to get a table for two right away. We ordered the spring rolls for an appetizer, which were not bad. We each ordered a cocktail, and both were delicious. They have quite an extensive selection of alcoholic beverages, including a lot of mixed type drinks. I'd recommend trying one of these interesting combos, with organic alcohols, agave nectar, etc. After looking over our menus forever, I finally decided on a barbecue sandwich and chose the potatoes as a side (as recommended by our server). It also came with a small green salad. The portions were very comparable to other similar non-veg type restaurants and prices were reasonable. We also got dessert, he got the German chocolate cake with ice cream and I got a lemon poppy seed donut. Both desserts were very good and I'd recommend either. I had plenty of leftovers to take home for lunch tomorrow. If you get a sandwich, get the potatoes, they are like garlicy french fries and are awesome. Prices are reasonable and restaurant was well lit and clean. I'd definitely go again.

Pros: large portions, huge selection, all vegan
Cons: bad parking
brianedwardgreen
brianedwardgreen

My Berkeley Favorite!

5 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2008

I have been fortunate to dine at vegan and vegetarian restaurants up and down the California coast, and in my opinion the Herbivore sets a high standard for the rest to achieve. The restaurant itself is bright, immaculate, modern, and comfortable. The wait staff is very helpful and friendly. The menu has a wide variety of dishes and includes breakfast, lunch, and dinner (so many of the vegetarian restaurants I know are not open for breakfast). The food is incredible. The portions and prices are comparable to a non-vegetarian restaurant, which makes them less expensive than many other vegetarian and vegan restaurants. I have to confess that as good as the rest of their food is, my favorite is their desserts--I would recommend coming here for dessert even if you don't have time for a meal.

Pros: Vegan!, Delicious!, Reasonably Priced!
Cons: Not in Southern California (darn)!
mizzrizz
mizzrizz

Good

3 Posted on 01 / 12 / 2008

I've only been for dinner and the food is consistent, but the service isn't! I like the fact that they don't do a lot of mock meat dishes.. don't get me wrong, I'm not against mock meat, but dishes with veggies and grains don't need pretend meat to make them good! The polenta with portobellos is on the bland side, however that is the creamiest polenta I've tried without cheese. The moussaka is good, but again, I was looking for something with more flavor. If you're looking for some comfort food, the lentil loaf entree is a good pile of food, mashed pototoes and all -- this is one of my favs. They also do a decent job on a vegan pesto sauce, but the gnocchi it was served with was mushy. Dessert? Can you lose with a vegan donut? Heck no! They're yummy. Forget the vegan pie, though. I tried the blueberry and not only did it look horrifying.. the texture and flavor were just not there.

Pros: Menu Variety, Fresh Ingredients, Many mockmeat-less dishes
Cons: Disappearing Staff, Sometimes Noisy

the real deal

5 Posted on 10 / 22 / 2007

Unless you're feeling like just eating raw (for which Cafe Gratitude might be preferable), this place is the vegan real deal. Everything my friends and I have tried so far we liked, the prices seem realistic (given that this place tries to buy as much organic produce as possible), and the service friendly. Modern (perhaps a little chilly atmosphere).

Dear Owner and Manager of Herbivore - Berkeley: