Herbies

Vegan-friendly
15 North Street
Exeter, England EX4 3QS
01392-258473

Open Mon-Fri 11am-2:30pm, Sat 10:30am-4pm & 6-9:30pm.

First Review by Kimbo
Tezcan
Tezcan

Excellent vegan food and service

5 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2013

This is a vegetarian restaurant but the menu includes plenty of vegan choices and many vegetarian dishes can be prepared so that they suit vegans. We had vine leaves stuffed with rice served with green salad, nutburger with salad and becks beer (one of the deals of the day), falafel with tahini, and beans on toast (from the children's menu). The desert was vegan ice cream with chocolate sauce but they even had vegan chocolate brownie. The price was very reasonabe. The best thing was the friendly staff who really knew about veganism and vegan food. Will definitely recommend it to all vegans.

Pros: Plenty of vegan dishes and drinks, Delicious food at reasonable price, Friendly staff and good service
stevewilliams99
stevewilliams99

Lunchtime at Herbies!

4 Posted on 12 / 22 / 2010

Wow what a great deal the soup and salad lunchtime meal is! Tastes fab and got us looking at the rest of the menu, we will definitely be back again! Lovely staff as well.Very baby friendly.

Guest
Guest

Herbies of Exeter

3 Posted on 11 / 19 / 2010

My girlfriend and i recently visited Herbies in Exeter, the food was very good. however the service was quick but not polished, the restaurant was clean but not polished, if you like drab colour scheme and plastic tables and no real feel good factor and just want a good vegan meal this is the place to go, i will visit again for a quick meal but i will look out for a restaurant with better ambiance..

Pros: good food, pleanty of food, good price
Cons: lacks charm, plastic tables yuk, basic waitress skills
Sarah_Lily
Sarah_Lily

Extremely Disappointing

2 Posted on 11 / 18 / 2010

I joined this website purely to express my disappointment at Herbies, that's how disappointed I am! I was intially impressed, an extensive vegan selection and pleasant decor. The food however was, in my opinion, really awful. I had the tofu and satay veg on tasca bread which was basically a mound of grated carrot and some Cauldron marinated tofu in a lot of sauce like watery mayonnaise which made the bread disgustingly soggy. The salad selection was poor - rather bland and just didn't go with the rest of the food. I didn't even clear half my plate and that has NEVER happened in a vegetarian restaurant before. My partner had a "pie" which was a few roasted veg and a bit of melted cheese on a layer of filo pastry. It was just really horrible, we both agreed. Also, it set me back £15 which, although not that much, was difficult to part with in return for such an unenjoyable experience. I really would not recommend this place but clearly this sort of food is up some people's street. I guess it's a personal thing..... The Plant Cafe on the other hand......... Go on, it's worth the walk :)

Pros: Pleasant decor, Some friendly staff (some a bit odd), Huge vegan selection
Cons: Outweigh the pros by a mile!, Horrible, uninspiring food, Bad value for money
LeedsVeggie
LeedsVeggie

Bad food

2 Posted on 10 / 27 / 2010

Myself and 3 friends visited Herbies a few months ago and we were all really disappointed with the food. The falafel was really quite bad and had a very gritty sauce covering it. The other food we ordered was just tasteless.

Pros: Location
Cons: Food, Price

dansette
dansette

Good value

4 Posted on 10 / 01 / 2010

Portions were large and tasty. Had the burger for lunch and it was plenty and there were lunch offers too. Plenty of choice for vegans.

tobemindful
tobemindful

Vegan friendly

5 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2010

Lovely place to eat and lots of vegan options to choose from. Very friendly service, always with a smile. Excellent food, great desserts and good wines too. It feels great as a vegan to have lots of choice for a change.

Pros: Vegan options, friendly service, Relaxed atmosphere
Cons: Hours of opening
mfergu01
mfergu01

Good restaurant

4 Posted on 04 / 04 / 2010

I was surprised by the reasonably wide menu for vegans. The food was pretty good and affordable. Good location.

Pros: Vegan options, Affordability, Location
Cons: Hours
Richard Myers
Richard Myers

Good location and good food

5 Posted on 11 / 01 / 2009

We made a reservation but there was lots of room when we arrived. The menu had lots of choice for vegans and the yam soup was certainly a good starter. Being from Canada, I liked the different choices of beers. The food was tasty, filling, the staff were accomodating and the place was clean; what more could one ask for. Well actually it would have been nice if it was open on a Sunday so we could have gone there a second time. The place was small and if you are young, the place would seem live lively but if you are older, it might seem noisy.

Pros: good vegan food , good taste , clean
Cons: Not open Sunday
platyfrog
platyfrog

Really quite nice.

4 Posted on 10 / 06 / 2009

Their vegan selection was wonderful throughout. I ordered two small dishes and was so stuffed I couldn't manage sweets! The price was reasonable, and it was easy to see why the place was packed to a slightly uncomfortable level.

The service was friendly but not amazing. I had to stop an already-walking-away waitress to ask for my drink (after she delivered the food, which was prompt even during the lunch rush). Perhaps this is overly fussy, but I was also weirded out by the fact that none of the long-haired servers had their hair up and one kept running her hands through her hair repeatedly. This IS food service...

My final tiny quibble was that I had a glance over the kids' menu, and the only vegan children's options seemed to be beans on toast, or a baked potato with plain beans -- exactly the kind of boring compromise you would try to escape by going to a specialty vegetarian restaurant.

Going to the bathroom is also a bit intimidating, with a steep, claustrophobic staircase leading to a depressingly lit cubbyhole.

But still; the food I had was so tasty and filling for the price that Herbie's still gets 4/5 for me.

Pros: value for money, thoughtful, extensive vegan menu, prompt food service
Cons: less than perfectly professional service, bathroom, lack of vegan kids' options
sonrae
sonrae

Good Value - Good Grub

5 Posted on 04 / 26 / 2009

I have been going to Herbies for years and absolutely love this place! The selection of vegan food is fantastic (starters, mains, desserts). The atmosphere inside is relaxed, the staff are friendly, and the food is good value for money. Advisable to book a table on Friday & Saturday nights, Saturday lunchtime is usually busy too.

Pros: Excellent vegan food, good value, Good wines & beers
Cons: toilet downstairs
marrow
marrow

delicious!!!

5 Posted on 11 / 26 / 2008

I have been to herbies many times and it is so worth the visit! The food is great and there are plenty of choices for vegans. Good prices, really nice atmosphere.

Pros: great choices for vegans, really nice food
Marsglobe
Marsglobe

Stuffed to the gills!

5 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2008

Is that the right review title for a vegan website?! Oh well, whatever, stuffed to the gills described how I felt after eating at Herbies. I ate there a couple of weeks ago after a trip to the cinema. The food was great: I had a vegetable rice dish which came with three salads followed by the legendary sticky toffee pudding. What can I say? The main meal was well cooked and well seasoned and the salads gave a good taste/texture counterpoint to the carbohydrates - vinegary, sweet and crispy, However, the star of the show was definitely the sticky toffee pud which was exactly as it should be; sweet, stodgy and covered in warm tofee - stick to the ribs style!

The service was lovely, with just the right balance between friendliness and efficiency. Herbies itself is a comfy, bohemian cubby hole which combines the usual wooden floors and fair trade interiors with a slighlty arty feel. There was a good mixture of families, children, students and professional types in there, so they must be doing something right! This was my first visit and I'll certainly be back. A meal for two (without alcohol) came to around £22.00 and it was worth every penny.

I waddled out of the door....

Pros: good service, comfortable interior, great food and large portions
Kimbo
Kimbo

Great Puddings

5 Posted on 12 / 19 / 2007

Just had to write to update the reviews which are all in 2006. Visited last weekend and the food was excellent and plentiful, with lots of vegan options. Great vegan choice, especially the puddings - I had sticky toffee and vegan custard. Highly recommended.

Pros: Great food, Good atmosphere, Friendly staff

Dear Owner and Manager of Herbies: