Vegan-friendly deli, organic produce, food allergy options, vegan baked goods including cupcakes, cakes, squares and muffins. more-less
375 Bank (Lewis)
Ottawa, Ontario
613-232-4087

First Review by CharYvy
Guest
Guest

ugh.

Posted on 10 / 06 / 2013

I was wondering why I do this to myself, when there are other health food stores in town? All just as good. And all of them have a much better atmosphere.

Why do I continue to give the Bank Street Herb & Spice my money, when I could take it elsewhere? Why indeed? I think I'm done making that mistake.

How can I describe the vibe in the store?

It's like walking into some way-too-hip night club, the one that everyone is trying to get into, but you're just not cool enough to get on the guest list.

Except it's not some cool night club. It's a grocery store. Hey, snooty young white privileged hipsters, you work in a grocery store.

The staff seem to be there for the purpose of looking cool, feeling hip and beautiful, socializing with each other, and occasionally doing you the favor of processing your purchase at the cash.

When they're not avoiding eye contact, they're looking down their nose at you. Maybe it's a class thing, and they simply know no other way of being. Maybe they can't help it.

I felt like I was inconveniencing them by bringing up my money to the cash, to pay for the few items I had picked out.

As I sat at the little table outside, eating my delicious snack, I felt gross. It was like the worst aspects of junior high. Excerpt the people working there are not 13 years old anymore.

I guess I'll continue to visit their wellness shop, that is unless I find another place that sells Earthpaste. Then it's sayonara, suckaz. Or maybe I'll simply order the stuff online. It will be a little more trouble, but I won't feel like I need a shower after.

For whatever it's worth, I've been vegetarian for about 17 years, and have shopped at most of the health foods stores in the city, if not every single one. I LOVE health food stores. The Bank Street Herb & Spice is unique for it's make-your-skin-crawl customer service.

Guys and gals, you're not doing me a favor by allowing me to shop at your store. And, believe it or not, you're not nearly as fabulous and glamorous as you seem to think you are.

I looked up some reviews of the store online, and I can see that my experience isn't an anomaly.

"Not the friendliest of places," wrote one reviewer. You can say that again, Christine. Jeff wrote: "Great grocery store, but customer service is definitely lacking."

I'll take my leave now, and let the Herb & Spice cashiers get back to performing for the documentary (or music video!), which they seem to think some invisible cameraman is making about their lives.

Pros: Earthpaste
Cons: cashiers' excessive self-centeredness, icy/narcissistic and unwelcoming vibe, snobbery dressed in earth tones
sglcklch
sglcklch

Pretty nice store

Posted on 07 / 13 / 2013

We stayed in the heart of downtown so this place couldn't be more convenient. We came primarily to get some organic fruit for breakfast and got what we wanted. They were quite well-stocked and had a bit of everything that you would expect from a health food store. I just wished there were better to-go meal options.

Pros: location
vegallysa
vegallysa

Love The Herb

Posted on 03 / 04 / 2013

I wouldn't be able to survive without the herb! My favourite place in Ottawa.

Pros: Awesome Staff, Bulk Stuff, Student Discount

Lola Crumpet
Lola Crumpet

The Herb

Posted on 02 / 27 / 2012

Used to be good when owned by David, then awful when owned by Susan, now Great when owned by Jacques. The staff is educated, helpful and funky. The choice of goods excellent for the size of the store. They will take special orders. The bulk food area has been gussied us with clear dispensing bins. There are gloves for serving yourself. The place is clean for the amount of traffic. The deli area is great for a quick fix, and the soups are fresh daily! The bakery has great choices. The cosmetics, fresh fruits & veggies, freezer, dairy case, bulk, juices & drinks, teas and condiments, gluten free, healthy junk food, raw, etc is all good.

Pros: Great location, good staff, clean
Cons: long check out line
procrastinasian
procrastinasian

Good vegan baked goods

Posted on 02 / 18 / 2010

We tried some Auntie Loo's stuff (spice cake, butterscotch banana bread, earl grey cupcake, and a non-Auntie Loo peanut butter chocolate rice krispie treat. We didn't buy anything else, but we perused the store, and it looked like there were a lot of interesting products, good vegan options, typical pricing, and a pretty big selection overall. If I lived nearby, I'm sure I'd shop there frequently.

CharYvy
CharYvy

I don't know what I'd do without it...

Posted on 09 / 06 / 2008

It's great. It has vegan foods, organic foods, whatever.
There is always something to get from the Herb and Spice- I love the treats they always have (like vegan cakes or cookies).
If you've never been here, go check it out!

Pros: variety, healthy, lots of treats
Cons: a lot of non-vegetarian stuff

Dear Owner and Manager of Herb and Spice: